TextSigns (Non-escrow)

TextSigns

Place signs around the world to get your message out!

textsigns02

Purchase on Tebex Preview the Resource
Tebex Link YouTube Link

What is this?

TextSigns allows you and/or your players to place signs around the world that can be used to display text, as if the text was supposed to be on the sign itself. This can be useful for things such as giving cafe owners the ability to attract attention to their shops by placing signs outside with phrases such as “Bean Machine Cafe - Open Now”.

As another user pointed out below - If you’re looking for a free script to simply add scenes/messages to your server, feel free to check out dpScenes - World Scenes/Notes and support other FiveM creators!

What about the “Cola” Sign?

Too many servers already stream too many assets, so why add yet another custom model/thing you have to stream to your players? If you really insist on using a custom model, you can add it to the resource and then change the model in the config! Stick your model in stream/ and then set config.lua’s “Config.signModel = ``your_custom_prop`” section.

Standalone

This mod requires nothing but a standard FiveM server. You can pop the script in, set the values in the config that make you happy, and carry on with TextSigns. However, without using database integration, player’s signs will be lost if they disconnect or the server/script is restarted. With the optional QBCore integration, you can give your players permission to create signs based on their job or gang. You can give everyone the permission to use it, or you can use an allowlist, and more.

QBCore
This resource supports QBCore. If you want players to be able to place a sign outside their business, you can add their job role to the config file. If you want gangs to be able to post threatening signs or trespassing notices, you can add their gang to the config file as well.

ESX / vRP
While the script doesn’t directly support these scripts, the Framework check that checks for job restriction has been separated out into a non-escrow file. If you know a bit of programming, you can easily add your own framework’s checks. This essentially makes the plugin adaptable to any framework to add job restriction and more.

Persistence / Database Support
You don’t need QBCore if you want the textsigns to be permanent. Simply set Config.database = true and watch as your textsigns appear when you restart the server or the script. Signs will save to the database upon being created or updated, stored with the player’s Social Club license ID, and be there again even after a server/script restart until it’s deleted. Special care was taken to ensure that player data (such as their license ID) stays server-sided and is not broadcast with TextSign synchronizations.

Various Questions

So why not just make custom models that display text and such? Why use a cola sign?

Too many servers already add hundreds of custom cars, interiors and models. I did not see a reason to create another resource that added more custom content to a server. With this resource, players can simply toss it in and move on. The cola sign was the model I used to build the resource, and just left it since I allow you to change the model in the config file.

Can’t players troll other people’s signs?

Nope! Tested and working with a player from my RP server. Only admins can modify or delete other player’s signs. Place your sign and be happy knowing it’ll stay that way until you (or an admin) change it.

Do I have to use QBCore to make the sign last permanently?

Nope. If you don’t use QBCore, just use any MySQL resource that uses the global MySQL and you’re good to go. My resource automatically assumes you’re using OxMySQL, but as long as the global MySQL variable is available, this should work just fine without QBCore.

Will there be updates? Are they free or do I have to buy new versions?

There will most certainly be updates, as we use this plugin on our own RP server. All updates will be free, unless the plugin is so massively changed that it warrants a brand new release. Whenever a critical bug is fixed or several minor bugs are fixed, a new version will be uploaded in the place of the old one.

Check out my other scripts:

PedDesigner: Customized Peds
JobAuth: Job Authorizations (Multijob)
FyreStores: Buy & Sell
BlueWeb - Police MDT

Code accessible Yes - Fully open
FiveM Escrow No
Subscription based No
Lines (approximately) 1,400
Requirements None
Optional Support For database: QBCore or OxMySQL
Support As Able
1 Like

Whats the difference between this and dpscenes? dpScenes (1.0) World Scenes / Notes (Standalone)

let me guess they didnt knew about this and the code they write is written from scratch XD

Partially true - on not knowing that resource existed. TextSigns appears to support job related placement of boards in a more in-character friendly manner (such as a business owner being able to put “Now Open” outside their shop, without needing to be whitelisted to use it). See my post below this (it was pending approval prior to this reply) for more details.

They’re very similar. From what I can tell (I haven’t seen that script until now), dpScenes appears to be more for setting up floating words for emotes and scenes (probably to support dpEmotes). TextSigns is more of an in-character friendly method of text floating as the text is “coming from” the signs being placed; As if the words that are floating are supposed to be affixed to the sign.

The intention for TextSigns was to set up a sort of “billboard” system where players could set up “open now” signs and “tonight: live band” type things outside their businesses - When the cafe opens, they can put out a TextSigns sign and say things like “Bean Machine - Open Now - Free Donut” outside the door of the business.

In response to the other comment - I 100% support people using free scripts. I even added dpScenes to my original post to ensure people don’t waste money on something they don’t know. However, if my script fulfills a better purpose for people then this is now an available resource for people to use.

i like the idea but looks a little odd that you have a “cola” sign and the text floating above … you should find someone that can make you a blank sign and use that and have the text in the sign

1 Like

Definitely an idea. As mentioned above though, i feel most servers already use way too many custom models and such, which is where this idea came. Requires a little imagination.

However, the signs model can be changed in the config - People can change the model and add a custom blank sign if they wish. I just didnt see the point in adding more streamed assets to the map data pool.

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

How is client side ms usage?

0.00ms with no signs, 0.08-0.09 with one sign, and I was at 0.11ms with four signs. I didn’t try to go beyond that. Drawing text is expensive on the engine.

Update
No longer escrow - I didn’t see the point in continuing to “safeguard” a script this simple.

Ive identified a bug where, if the server is using a framework (such as QBCore), if the player doesnt have permission to use textsigns then it will just deny it regardless of admin status.

Ive already implemented the fix in our own server and will be pushing an update within a couple of hours

(EDIT) internet was out all afternoon. Will upload tomorrow. If you want to do the fix yourself, change the framework check from true to false and it’ll work.