"You sound like Darth Vader" - Voice Chat Problem 2nd repost - 60 day old issue seriously please help

GTA V version?
Oct 3d 2018 (however, the problem still persists with updated version)
Up to date?
No (the data in this post is not based on the most recent build, but problem is still persisting with latest version)
Legit or Pirate copy?
Legit
Steam/CD/Social Club?
Steam
Windows version?
Windows 10 home
Did you try to delete caches.xml and try again?
Yes
System specifications
Asus F550JK:
Intel Core i5-4200H cpu @ 2.8 GHz
8 GB Ram (7,89 usable)
64-bit system & x64 processor
GeForce GTX 850M 2GB dedicated VRAM
Using a wired razer headset (with mic) with a 3.5mm combo jack
What did you do to get this issue?
Has been present all the time
What server did you get this issue on?
All servers
CitizenFX.log file
https://pastebin.com/vgyfTAWn
2nd log with caches.xml deleted: https://pastebin.com/TGthxhDz
.dmp files/report IDs
(Unsure if these are related to my problem)
fff06ad5-a72a-4f02-853d-a45b33a29b18
649d42f4-a8e8-421f-a06d-a07235f4a50b
c401ef6a-41a9-424c-b796-08a9ac80fab3
9558c635-d8a3-4c73-a943-5d21c3c91744

Also add what you already tried so far.
Restarting the game, different servers, restarting the computer, other mic.
Deleting and redownloading the “cache” folder
Changing all the settings in the voicechat (mic enabled, correct source selected, sensitivity all the way up, volume halfway up, push to talk).
Deleting caches.xml
EDIT: [Thanks to Hallux for reminding me, I have

Problem Description:
So, the problem is basically that I (according to others) sound like Darth Vader (sound very deep) and am completely non- understandable in the voicechat, which in turn makes FiveM unplayable since it basically is a requirement to roleplay.

The problem is not with the Mic itself, since I can hear myself fine when listening to the device and through other programs such as TeamSpeak, the problem is Unique to FiveM. Also, the problem is persistent across different networks.

Please help!

I don’t know if the problem is present in regular GTA V since I never use the voicechat there, also, since some ppl IG thought I was using a voice changer: that is not the case.

Reposting this since I posted the repost post more than a month ago and I still haven’t been able to solve it.
1st Repost:

I’ll add that @hibbie_jibbie posted a similar issue in august and hasn’t gotten any help either.
Original post:

his:

Okay I’m getting pretty tired of reposting these posts now so it would REALLY be appreciated if someone replied or got involved in some way, because this is the 3d time I’m posting this issue and it basically makes it impossible to participate in the roleplaying.

Hello, this is a friendly reminder because this is your first time creating a topic (or it has been a while since your last topic) in this category.

Please note that most of the support is provided by the FiveM community on a voluntary basis. We ask you to be patient; there is no guarantee we have a solution to your problem(s). To avoid unnecessary/duplicate topics, please browse the forums before creating a topic.

To improve your chances of your issue(s) being solved, please provide as much information as possible about the issue(s) you are having. Also —whenever possible— please use the template given to you when creating a topic.

Thanks for keeping these forums tidy!
:mascot:

Do you hear yourself as “darth vader” in the voice chat settings screen? (you can test there by saying something)

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t know you could do that, will make sure to try it next time I boot up FIveM!

Indeed, it does seem like I sound awful there as well.

Have you tried a new input device? There’s a few things that could be quesitonable here… the 3.5mm combo jack could be bad, you may need or have bad Razer software or outdated drivers for your soundcard or motherboard (if using onboard inputs).

Have you ever tested it outside of a game, using the voice playback feature on Windows?

1 Like

Well, it isn’t the combo jack at least, since I have the problem even when using the built-in mic or my bluetooth headset. I have used both the computers mic and the built-in one on both discord and teamspeak to great success. I do not use any razer software, just the built-in drivers.

So to answer your questions:
Yes, I have tried out other input devices, through other mediums as well.
The problem is only in FiveM (I probably should check if it is in regular GTA but I never use the chat there, it might actually bring this issue off of your shoulders).
I don’t use any razer software, and have updated my drivers fairly recently.

Checked the voicechat out in GtaOnline, and it seems like the problem originates in vanilla… I’ll see if I can’t find support for the problem from them…

Sorry for the late response, got caught up with life.

Glad you figured out the source, good luck with the fix. Drop what they recommend here in case others have a similar issue. We can mark it as the solution.

Also, I’d avoid telling them you run FiveM, they may not take a liking to that.

1 Like

Okaay I think that the problem is finally solved, I don’t know entirely sure, bc I haven’t had time to try with proper mic setup, or in fiveM, but here’s what I did in between it not working, and it working.

Previously done (problem persisted)

• Ensure that you have Administrator privileges on the computer you are trying to run the game on. (okay I feel somewhat insulted here but anyways…)
  • Ensure that all non-essential USB devices are disconnected from the computer for the purposes of troubleshooting. This could include (but isn’t limited to): game controllers, flight-sticks, etc.
  • Disable Background Applications.
  • Reboot computer
  • “Verify integrity of game cache”.
  • Set recording format to 44.1khz 16bit. (lowest shittiest audio quality)
  • Update Drivers (some 6-ish months ago)

This bit above here is probably not what solved the problem, but I included it anyways. This is the nonessential bits that they asked me to do. The bits below I did while reinstalling GTA

Now Done

• Disable nonessential startup items (yes, some of them I deem to be needed. Shouldn’t affect audio recording in any way)
  • Rechecked drivers for display adapters, audio input/output, as well as sound, video and game controllers (they were all up to date except the audio one (conexant smartaudioHD and my Nvidia graphics card driver. Must’ve missed those last time I updated since even the “new” versions were ancient)

Now, the bit above here might have impacted it, particularly the conexant drivers for my soundcard in particular, but to know that you’d have to see if others impacted by the bug have the same outdated drivers that I had. But, by all means ask about it next time it pops up!

What I did last

• Reinstalling the game (takes some 20-ish hours to redownload GTA so regardless of what you guys say I am NOT doing that again anytime after this. Added to that the hassle of customizing all my settings again ಠ_ಠ)

While being something that people are REALLY reluctant to doing (due to the pure size of GTA) I do believe that in the end it was this that solved the problem.

So, in conclusion: The culprit of the bug is GTA itself, and the most likely solution is reinstalling it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.