Regarding donations and paid content

How much does it cost to keep the FiveM project up and running…because in the TOS and by multiple staff and respected community members have said that you can’t go over your monthly cost, and with all the patreons I find it hard to believe and so do others, I have even asked more experienced people within the community areas and they even said that there is definitely extra being made from the Patreon…This post will probably get deleted and I’ll probably get suspended and if it does that just proves my point, Before you do close the topic I know that I am doing nothing wrong asking this question and I believe that anyone should feel comfortable asking questions like these without the worry of being punished so again if I do get punished or my topic gets closed you done it knowing I haven’t done anything wrong and I am also posting it in FiveM discussion which is the correct category for such a question…the reason I’m doing this is because I know a lot of people have been wondering and are afraid to ask the question. So if you can go above the limit…why can’t we? We are just as entitled as you are, FiveM wouldn’t be FiveM without the community.

I wholeheartly agree, some of us put our hard earned money, time and effort into making the project into something more than it is standing alone. We’ve watched a “we are shutting it down” when things get difficult scaring users who invested their free time into making this project something more. I personally feel with the amount of support and disrespect some of us receive from being transparent with y’all gets punished. What company makes false claims to shut their shit down to repair an issue? Seems like a practice run by children. Seeing as we are required to be transparent with where our server funds go for donations and patreon, why does the same not apply to the project? I can see no way where y’all are not netting a profit off of our hobby and treating us like we are less human.

1 Like

I also don’t see the big deal with paid content, scripts, vehicles and maps are sold all the time for gta5 and still you get tons of public releases on 5mods, lspdfr etc… so it’s not that reason… if it’s because of rockstar they don’t give an ass as long as people are purchasing the game itself in which they need to. Nobody is forced to buy anything it’s all optional, keep the forums the way it is, no paid content but let server owners do whatever they want with there servers and developers with scripts in there own DMs or communities, I wouldn’t sell myself as I don’t even release much anymore but I’ve seen other people get blacklisted for selling what they made.

I dont limit donations at cost of operations.

I have a dedicated paypal account that is transperant to the entire community I role with. The only transactions in or out are donations and server costs.

The essence of the word profit, is when you personally gain from it.

The concept of pooling funds is what I do amd can prove that profit is not there with the transparency of the account.

Well they consider going over your limit as profit…it was said we have to stop donations when we reach the cost for that month.

I’ve had a friend tell me he was requested to show all his financial information for his server so he wouldn’t be blacklisted…so we should be able to request the same from them right? I mean you can’t just request someone’s private information that’s ridiculous, what we spend on our own servers is our business.

I’d prefer be in a community where everyone shares their finds, instead of putting everything behind a paywall.

This whole community exists because people are sharing their finds, it’s not like rockstar puts documentation on everything so share your finds instead of keeping them for yourself or selling them

1 Like

You can, however? Read the ToS again.

Any approved transaction through built-in commerce functionality in FiveM.

You must be super confused on the word “Profit” I’ll explain it to you

Profit is a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something.

So you are profiting, it has nothing to do with personal gain, it has to do with exceeding your costs.

I’ll remain guilty as charged for that then. However, I’ll keep taking the morality of the situation as defined by legalities.

Profit is only profit when you gain. Besides, the patron comes from my communitys donos. The funds are filtered correctly.

I have mine transperant, so these questions are never raised.

Imo, anyone should be able to ask about it.

Like I said many things will still be shared, look at other modifications they still get plenty of public content yet allow paid content also, if anything your stopping people from sharing content as why bother sharing it? And that is true, I’ve had many devs tell me.

I don’t mean to come off as aggressive I’m just giving my own opinions while also allowing other community members to share them in a FiveM discussion topic.

Before you do close the topic I know that I am doing nothing wrong asking this question and I believe that anyone should feel comfortable asking questions like these without the worry of being punished

What exactly are you really pushing to ask? Also I’m curious, do you donate?

How much does it cost to keep the FiveM project up and running

A good amount. Do you know how much high-traffic servers cost (build servers, website servers and application servers - and services such as cloudfare layered on top)? How about engineering time?

Quick back-of-the-napkin rundown puts engineering costs alone at ~$400/day (that’s for an 8 hour day)… that’s just for a more junior software engineer. The folks running this ain’t juniors, so it’s quite a bit more than this.

So as you can imagine, cost add up.

I can see no way where y’all are not netting a profit off of our hobby and treating us like we are less human.

What? You’re asking to make money off this project that is open-source, contributed to by folks in their free time, and you’re saying you’re being treated less than human?

C’mon buddy, use your head.

4 Likes

one rule one
one rule for another

Not sure what rules you’re talking about - can you read the ToS? Any built-in commerce transaction is exempt from the profit rule.

I can understand that it’s expensive but as server owners have been requested where is the financial proof of this?

They never have, however? Not by anyone acting in any sort of official capacity representing the project.

Not our fault your “friend” shows his financials to a complete stranger.

1 Like

I’m just wondering why can’t you just keep the content rule on the forums and allow us server owners and developers to do what we want with our own servers, I mean we are hosting the actual server itself aren’t we? Yes it wouldn’t be possible without you guys and all your work is appreciated but at the end of the day I don’t see a problem with us doing what we want in our own communities.

He said he was requested by a staff member or he would be blacklisted.