[How-to] Fixing invalid Poly Edge references

We’ve all been there - you make your new shiny server, put in some custom maps and whatnot, and the next thing you know - your F8 console is literally overflowing with scary messages such as these:

(not my picture, stole it from a topic on the forum)

Now, a quick disclaimer, this is NOT a bug nor does this log entry indicate of any inherent “issues” with the asset that will affect gameplay. From my rather limited testing, the difference in client and server performance between having an asset that has faulty polyedge references and a “fixed” one is very negligible due to FiveM’s streaming module fixing them automatically (that’s exactly what the message tries to tell you). That said, the process of fixing it is amazingly simple, and here you go:

• Download Smallo’s YMAP&YBN Mover tool
  • Next, open the app, on the top tab click on Tools → Poly Edge Fixer. You will now have a new window open.
  • Lastly, drag all YBN, YDR and YDD files (the last two are mainly optional, but it’s a “better practice” to process all drawable files too) you want to fix into the new window’s blank white space and click Start at the bottom left corner. The tool will now process all of the files you put in and fix any faulty references. It might take a while depending on how many assets you put in for processing and how powerful your system is.

Yeah, like I said, simple! :smiley:

Should you make backups of the original files? The proper answer is yes, but… not really. I have genuinely run more than 1 thousand different assets through this so far and it never broke anything. Of course, it’s up to you, and it’s generally better to have backups.
I’m honestly very surprised by just how many servers have these entries. Even the likes of the most popular, most played servers are infested with assets that have incorrect poly edge references. No longer!

I understand that this guide is quite simple and all, but considering the current spread of the situation described I believe it’s in our best interest to spread this one around. Who doesn’t love a squeky clean client log file? :wink:

P.S. To any of the MLO / Map makers, the latest GIMS Evo versions should have fixed the cause of the log entries, but it’s still worth running all your assets through the app before posting them. Hell, even a new MRPD release by a very known modder had this. Goes to show the lack of awareness, hah.

Slap that like button if you found this useful and spread the word to servers that have this “issue”, let’s eradicate those incorrect poly edge references!

24 Likes

You only need to do it on the ybn files not ydr ydd ytd etc. Otherwise thank you for taking the time to help others that didn’t know how to fix this issue.

1 Like

Actually you might need to do it on ydr’s or ydd’s that have embedded collisions.

1 Like

I have only seen the message related to ybn files in my experience. When I utilized your tool I just did all the ybn files and it cleared everything up for me with no ill effects, did that several months back. But that is good to know if I do happen to run into issues with embedded collisions.

Yeah, it’s a “better practice” to process the drawable files as well. Worst case scenario that wont change anything at all, no harm done.

1 Like

Makes sense, I just have a shit ton of interiors so for me just doing the 850+ ybn files I have on my server was enough lol.

2 Likes

omg thank you i’ve had these “errors” pop up and didnt know the cause. Thank you very much

1 Like

You’ve done a realy good job :+1:

1 Like

I didn’t know you could also fix .ydr files using this tool. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Thanks bro :clap:
This works but doesn’t fix them all

Make sure you fix the .ydr files as well from all the folder and stuff - it’s extremely rare for it to fail fixing something. I also believe that those assets are not faulty by default, so make sure you grabbed that MLO from an official / reliable source.

I forgot to open the Poly Edge Fixer :smile: verything works
thanks

You’d know right off something is wrong because it wont let you put YDRs or YDDs into the “default” window

1 Like

some maps are buggy

1 Like

To be fair, that is not something that can possibly be caused by fixing polyedge - most likely the adjusted vanilla YMAP file that comes with that interior gets overruled by the same YMAP file in another resource

Before fixing polyedge no have problem
I returned the old ones and everything is fine

how long does it usually take to finish or is it something you just leave running?

2 Likes

Depending on how powerful your PC is and how many items you’re asking it to process, it’s different - for me personally it never takes over a minute even for around a thousand assets, being lower than that on average.

For some reason I add just 1 file and it sits there time elapsing, I have the update too, not sure if it’s my files or program needs a fix?

I’ve tried 10 from various maps too and it just sits there for an hour elapsed so far, no changes to files :S

I know I’m super late to answer but just for future reference, there was an issue with Smallo’s tool I linked that has since been fixed. Be sure to use the latest version of the app.

1 Like