Disable mipmap reduction?

So a couple of days ago, FiveM pushed out a new feature that automatically limits mipmaps in an attempt to reduce strain on the client and server. A good feature, except that the server I run has already optimised all of our textures significantly.
Most of our .ytd files are 1-3 megabytes, and all of our textures are 2k or less. As a result, liveries are looking pretty bad with the new mipmap limiting.

Image for reference

Anyway, can we disable this feature somehow? Thanks.

1 Like

On-disk size is irrelevant.

Fix your UV mapping to not require a weird texel size?

What was the goal of this update? It only has seemed to cause more issues.

This isn’t an issue with the UV mapping. We’ve got vehicles that have been mapped by dozens of different people, and all of them now look awful, simply because they’re using lower mipmaps.

I fully understand why you want to automatically optimise textures - lots of servers end up with people running out of memory - but it has never been a problem for us, and there’s other servers in the same situation as us. Being able to add a line to the server config (sv_disablemipmapreduction “true”) or something like that would help with servers that have already optimised their textures manually.

1 Like

No, it is. The part containing the logo in that screenshot isn’t even over 1024 pixels in size, which implies that whatever logo isn’t having the full extent of the texture used for it.

And then people would do so even if they have crazy-sized textures and people would still complain to us to ‘fix city buggggggggggg’.

*simply because none of the people who designed them know the concept of texel density

1 Like

Alright, for anyone whose reading this in the future and wondering if there’s a solution, there is - it’s a client-side solution.

You can change where mipmap reduction occurs via the str_MaxVehicleTextureRes command. Increase it from 1024 (default) to 2048, or 4096 (I’d strongly advise not going above that).

1 Like

You’re a lifesaver, thank you!