Windows or Linux

Hello guys, i have a simple question

What you guys will suggest me to use for hosting FiveM server Windows Server or Linux?
I always used Windows Server but i had one problem and that was with the 64 slots.
When i start my server with 64 slots (OneSync) and let’s say when the server have 50 players and the server is starting to lag for no reason i got a lot of hitch warnings & etc. The CPU is ok and the Ram usage is fine but when i ask my friends witch OS they are using for their servers they all said to me Linux and they can handle 64 slots without problem. I’m confused :confused:

Windows is better for running it because it has the ability to make traces and create dumps, if you are having hitches you should take look at following topics

In your case, it may depend on the server’s resources (CPU, RAM etc.) so you should detail those things as they are important. It’s important to note that Windows will consume more of these resources as it’s a large OS with many services running + any applications you may have installed. Linux is very lightweight and therefore does not take up as much resources Windows does (it’s why Linux is commonly used or virtualized in server setups). Also it depends on the host. The most common is ZAP for FiveM hosting (either through their game server or VPS) and in my experience, it’s not good but you get what you pay for.

As mentioned, you can do more with Windows are far as diagnosing resources which I never needed to do for large FiveM servers because you can easily solve the problem by identifying the most recent resource you installed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.