Win7: Can't launch game, GetHostNameW in WS2_32.dll

IF YOU DO NOT FILL THIS OUT, YOUR TOPIC WILL BE UNLISTED AND CLOSED

To receive support, please fill out the following template, and remove this top text.

Environment questions

GTA V version: latest
Up to date: yes
Legit or Pirate copy: legit
Purchased where - Steam/Rockstar Launcher/Epic: Epic
Windows version: 7
Did you try to delete content_index.xml and try again? I don’t have this file
System specifications: -
CitizenFX crash zip file (‘Save information’ on a crash): CfxCrashDump_2021_09_17_18_33_03.zip (59.5 KB)

logs/CitizenFX_log files: CitizenFX_log_2021-09-16T180149.log (298.0 KB)

.dmp files/report IDs: 2eafafd6-8db8-4e88-b996-d2f38062fe66.dmp (159.4 KB)

If you can’t start the game at all

GTA V folder screenshot:

GTA V/update/x64/dlcpacks screenshot:

Filepath to FiveM folder:

FiveM client folder screenshot:

Which antivirus/firewall software are you using? Avast
Did you try to disable/uninstall your Anti-virus? Ya, nothing changed

Important parts

What is the issue you’re having?
Can’t open the game.

What are you trying to do?

Launch Fivem.

What have you tried already to fix the issue?

The only solution I found is to delete different files which I don’t have anyway. Also I downloaded mentioned .dll but nothing changed.

Error screenshot (if any):
First something about GetHostNameW in WS2_32.dll

What did you do to get this issue?

Nothing. Fivem works in the morning (I didn’t used it much, like 10 minutes), 12 hours later not.

What server did you get this issue on? Be specific and name some, ‘all of them’ by itself isn’t useful!

Last server I was using was NoPixel Whitelist.

Additional comments

3 Likes

Hello, this is a friendly reminder because this is your first time creating a topic (or it has been a while since your last topic) in this category.

Please note that most of the support is provided by the Cfx.re community on a voluntary basis. We ask you to be patient; there is no guarantee we have a solution to your problem(s). To avoid unnecessary/duplicate topics, please browse the forums before creating a topic.

To improve your chances of your issue(s) being solved, please provide as much information as possible about the issue(s) you are having. Also —whenever possible— please use the template given to you when creating a topic.

Thanks for keeping these forums tidy!
:mascot:

Minimum supported client Windows 8.1, Windows 8 [desktop apps | UWP apps]

Guess you’re out of luck on Windows 7, as a dependency (libuv) dropped support for this:

You may get lucky if they add this conditionally, we however can’t and won’t fork libuv just for a small <0.5% of users left on an outdated OS version (to be precise, 0.34%!).

Hello, same error here. Can’t you leave a compatible version for old Windows users? Since you don’t offer a FiveM Linux launcher…
Everything was ok again this morning.

Preemptively locking to prevent heated discussion.

Seems it’s fairly simple to just revert the commit this was added in - we’re currently preparing a canary build with a fix for this.

Once it’s pushed (sometime after 2021-09-19T13:05:00Z), you can try setting the following setting in your CitizenFX.ini and seeing if it helped at all:

[Game]
; everything else in the section
UpdateChannel=canary
1 Like

Works fine ! Thx man.

well works like a charm thank ya im glad i didnt go windows 8 or 10 lol

Win7 for life :smiley:

i’m sure the next ransomware attack using an exploit in 7 will change that opinion of yours :wink:

1 Like

thanks for the canary update, any way to locally prevent updates and let fivem the way it is in this w7 build? I only use it for car modding and play with friends in a closed server

How about you guys just update your operating system instead of relying on outdated software? Makes no sense

win7 is faster/less bloated/looks better, w10 is more prone to boot failures, random bsods. I don’t download shady stuff so I don’t really care about windows updates, ransomware and any virus will infect w10 as much as w7, and finally rockstar do support gta online on w7

1 Like

Hey there. I am still having issues with this. I tried to add the ‘canary’ to the end of the file - I stopped getting the error - 5M still isn’t launching. Please help :frowning:

not faster but is a little bloated but not enough to be an issue if you are not on old hardware.

as for the other stuff most of this is user error.

But its your choice at the end of the day, just got to keep in mind more and more things are going stop working.

Same here. It worked the first time but this time FiveM is only showing up at processes of task manager. And nothing shows up.

1 Like

Can anybody PLEASE help us? Thank you.

same. I can only play offline on my local server now

There are still no fix for this?