The Ultimate Guide to Custom Props: How to Beat Gatekeeping & Unleash Your Creative Genius

Have you ever been a victim of Gatekeeping? If you or a loved one has suffered from the extreme gatekeeping behavior within the RedM Community, you are entitled to a large compensation. (This is your compensation!) Coming into this community, I was very taken back by how far behind RedM is in comparison to FiveM. Yes, this is also because RedM is slightly newer and there’s not a lot of support for it yet HOWEVER, ask anyone and they will tell you that getting this information is next to impossible.

For the past few months I have been trying to make custom props for our server. I have zero knowledge of any of this so I was going in blind and heavily uneducated. I asked multiple creators and my cries for help fell on deaf ears or they would give me the run around, or refuse to tell me. I scoured countless discords, youtube tutorials, even CFX posts. I became desperate. However yesterday, RedMJesus came down from the sky and smacked me on the head. It all started clicking. I am no expert or genius here and this will definitely take some practice, but this method has been the only thing I have gotten to work thus far and I want to share it with all of you because quite frankly, I am upset without how much gatekeeping there is within this community.

Part of the reason why RedM is behind FiveM right now in terms of assets and scripts is because everyone is holding on to their methods and their tricks so they can dominate the market for props, MLOs, etc. Less people = more people coming to them = more money for them. If you found something that works AND makes you money, why give that away? Well, NO LONGER. I believe that information and help should be FREE and EASILY ACCESSIBLE to the PUBLIC. Not hidden in abandoned discords or a paywall or an item you receive from a wizard in a tower far far away…My point is, I want everyone to see this, share this, pass it around. Let this be public knowledge. Let everyone be able to create and fill this community with amazing creations. If you are a creator and you are offended by knowledge being public, let me just say that people will STILL support you and purchase from your shop if you provide good products and quality service. Your customers will not just go away because they discovered the “secret formula.” That just allows others to be able to create more for everyone. This community shouldn’t be a barren wasteland. There should be new creations popping up every few days that gets people excited and inspires others to follow suit one day.

So lets begin!

• I would like to note that this tutorial is almost identical to Perse’s wonderful vid on youtube so big props to Pers for that; what I did is give more in depth instructions with proper versions that currently work for me. I would also like to note that I got this VS22/Codewalker video and help from my friend Charlie, so I cannot take credit for that I just figured out how to get it to work into the grand scheme of things haha!

Programs you will need:

Building Codewalker RPF
I reccommend doing this first and getting it out of the way. You will need VS 2022 open. Download and extract the KTOS Codewalker from above. Create a new project with .sln and select the .sln file inside. At the top, change the dropdowns to: x64, Release, and Codewalker RPF Explorer. At the top select Build Solution and let it run. Then go back and find your folder where you downloaded that Codewalker. Find Rpf explorer exe and run it. You’re golden. You may also follow this video my friend Charlie made as my tutorial for this is short and not all that great. (It does say Codex in the video but your options will look different)

Follow this video to the exporting part (about the 10 minute mark).

• You should now have a ytyp.xml and a ydr.xml from blender. It is EXTREMELY important to use the programs linked above to achieve the same results. Different versions may not work and there’s a lot of trial and error!

YDR:
To convert your YDR, open Codewalker RPF Explorer. Open your folder and enable edit mode at the top. Right click, Import XML, and select your ydr.xml. It will convert it in your folder. You can also drag it out and put it into the correct folder.

YTD:
This is the way I have found to work, you can alternatively use CodeX or RPF, whatever you prefer. But for OPEN IV, go ahead and open Gimp and open each of your texture files and export as the first DDS option. You may need to change compression to DXT5 or none for certain files. Open OPENIV, launch as GTA V. Towards the bottom left, 2nd folder from the bottom you will find some texture folders. Click on any of those, they should contain “waterfog” ytd’s. Make sure you’re in edit mode and open one of those. Replace that texture file with your own dds. If you have more, click import and add. Rename all textures to their file names. Save and back out, rename that ytd in sync with your model and extract it to your folder.

Converting your YTD & YDR

• Right click RedM, open file location, open RedM Application Data. Drag your ytd and ydr files inside there. Click the file path bar at the top, remove everything there, type cmd and hit enter. In the terminal use thi2s command for each file:

.\CitiCon.com formats:convert yourfilenamehere.ydr (hit enter)
.\CitiCon.com formats:convert yourfilenamehere.ytd (hit enter)

• When converted successfully, you will now have two new files, a “_nya.ytd” and a “_nya.ydr.” Take those out and put into your stream folder. Remove “_nya” from the file names and you’re done!

YTYP:

• From the first video link, you will find a google drive link. You can also follow along for this in the video link above. Use that to download the YTYP Template File. Open both the template and your ytyp.xml. Copy the whole section from bbmin to bsRadius from your model ytyp.xml and paste that over the same spot in the template. Change all the “cubes” to your model name and save.

Final Steps & Folder Format:

You should have a Prop folder, named whatever, to put all this stuff in.
Inside your Prop folder, should be a stream folder with your finished YDR, YTD, and YTYP.
You should also have a fxmanifest inside your Prop folder next to your stream folder, not inside it!

Here is a template (just make sure it is fxmanifest.LUA you can copy/paste this part into VsCode and save it as a .lua!

fx_version “adamant”
game “rdr3”

this_is_a_map “yes”

rdr3_warning “I acknowledge that this is a prerelease build of RedM, and I am aware my resources will become incompatible once RedM ships.”

files {
‘stream/*.ytyp’
}

data_file ‘DLC_ITYP_REQUEST’ ‘stream/*.ytyp’

To spawn the props, you will need Spooni_Spooner or Spooner. (I recommend Spooni_Spooner). I am using a VORP Core local, so my file path for this will look something like: Server or File Name > txdata > Vorpcore > resources > [VORP] > [essentials] > [spooni_spooner] > data > rdr3 > OBJECTS.LUA Open the objects.lua, hit enter under the first line, and following the same format, type your prop name in there (with the " " and comma at the end) Save and you’re done!

Go forth and prosper! Let’s make this community flourish.

8 Likes

I would like to add that I am not attacking any creators nor naming any names. I am just saying this should all be public knowledge as it is with FiveM. I also would like to add that while nobody is obligated to help, I was referred to different people, who promised they would help and in turn did not. I did have 2 creators offer help and were amazing and I will continue to support them. My problem is not with creators, it is with the fact that every tutorial you find out there is extremely outdated or vague or just simply doesn’t work.

3 Likes

New Tutorials about this will be coming soon :pinched_fingers:

1 Like

Heck yes! :smiley: Love to see RedM getting the love it deserves finally!

Even if I have to say that there are already some tutorials that explain everything, that’s not the problem. But perfecting it and finding out common mistakes and fixing them is the real work that everyone has to do for themselves. A bit of personal effort is required. We’ve all had to go through that and we’re still going through it. Bringing props into the game just scratches the surface of what is possible. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This is awesome! But im already getting errors once i hit build solution in vs 2022 :\

I solved it, I had to unblock the zip file before extracting the ktos Codewalker :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can agree with this! It is the same way of developing stuff. When I first was trying to learn I kept getting told no, Cant do that, there is no way by a dev on a server I was there to assist. Finally went on a limb to do my own project and finding everything I was told no on. Well when there is a will there is a way! :smile: May not happen right then but with time and effort it can be achieved!

2 Likes

I’ve downloaded and installed everything, but i’m getting “Unable to find package” when trying to open the .sln file in visual studio 2022. I noticed that your link goes to Codewalker, but the video is for Codex. I’m not sure if that makes any difference.

Perfectly said! :smiley:

Yay! Glad you got it working!

1 Like

Hi there! I’m sorry you’re having issues, I will update the section in my post with more information to see if that helps!

Also I just noticed that it says “Codex” however it is the same process and will say Codewalker/Codewalker RPF, etc when you’re actually doing it!

just so i understand correctly, I have a codex subscription already but do I actually need to open and use the Codewalker RPF after running the build or do I just keep using my Codex? If i click the Codewalker RPF after running the vs file it only asks me for the GTAV folder.

Hi ANicole23,
I did follow the same process, but it says “Unable to find Package” when opening the .sln file :frowning:

Hi there! You may have had an issue with downloading the sln or project; you may need to uninstall it and try a clean install. Although I have not gotten that error, I had trouble trying to build it the first time and the next day I was able to get it just do not give up!

You will run Codewalker RPF as GTA V (it should auto detect or ask for the file path of where you installed GTA V) Once you select the file, you’re good to go!

Hey guys! I am planning on making a video tutorial very soon to help you out with all of this info; I know that its way easier to follow along in video format than reading a whole book, I just wanted to post this info out there ASAP for a physical guide.

1 Like

I tried that but it wasnt working for me :\ (Not sure if I actually need GTAV but if not it didnt work lol) but thanks for replying! A video tutorial would definitely be helpful and I do appreciate ya takin the time doing all of this for the community! :smiling_face:

Idk whats going one here. CodeWalker Version its just empty fork never edited by me. Also you dont need any of this. You just need lastest codex version and dev version of sollumz thats all

2 Likes