Tebex is borderline fraudulent/breaking laws

Is there any hope soon for us to see Tebex dropped as a service provider for FiveM?

They’re genuinely one of the worst service providers and platforms I’ve ever experienced in my entire life. It’s baffling how they just regularly ignore laws, refuse refunds, and allow scammers and broken resources to be sold on their platform with no consequences.

Everything you’ve complained about here would be a problem else-where too, if not even more so.

You’re being too broad here, give specific examples.

Its within Tebex right as a distributor to refuse refunds.

If you report scammers they’ll be taken care of, “broken resources” is also a broad topic, and is widely up to the user. Tebex is the payment platform (even more so with some of the upcoming changes they have), but if you have proof of creators breaking the Tebex Acceptable Use Policy then notify Tebex and they will take action if they believe it breaks their policies.

You’re being too broad here, give specific examples.

It’s illegal to refuse refunds for defective products in most countries. It’s not a very hard law to follow, and it’s why Tebex is forced to offer refunds in the UK and EU which has powerful consumer protection laws. For example, in Canada (where I live) it is illegal for a business to refuse a return for a defective product.

There’s nothing broad; I’ve bought multiple resources that were abandoned by developers or not worked on by devs despite being broken and escrowed. There’s nothing we can do to get refunds.

If you report scammers they’ll be taken care of, “broken resources” is also a broad topic, and is widely up to the user. Tebex is the payment platform (even more so with some of the upcoming changes they have), but if you have proof of creators breaking the Tebex Acceptable Use Policy then notify Tebex and they will take action if they believe it breaks their policies.

For example, I’ve notified Tebex multiple times about:

And they still have yet to take down the shop. I’ve reported it including pictures from Discord/customer service tickets and evidence of issues with the resources, and issues other community members have had, the seller didn’t respond to Tebex when they brought into the ticket I opened up and the ticket was just closed and I was told that I couldn’t return a purchase because of their ToS.

Its within Tebex right as a distributor to refuse refunds.

It’s not depending on where they sell their products. In most countries outside of the EU, they don’t have the right to refuse refunds in the case of defective products. This includes software.

Everything you’ve complained about here would be a problem elsewhere too, if not even more so.

Tebex is especially bad, I’m not sure what customer service experiences you’ve had before, but I’d say this is probably the worst it can get for a business of that size. The only way it could be worse is if they just didn’t respond to emails, which is often the case.

1 Like

It’s illegal to refuse refunds for defective products in most countries. It’s not a very hard law to follow, and it’s why Tebex is forced to offer refunds in the UK and EU which has powerful consumer protection laws. For example, in Canada (where I live) it is illegal for a business to refuse a return for a defective product.

There’s nothing broad; I’ve bought multiple resources that were abandoned by developers or not worked on by devs despite being broken and escrowed. There’s nothing we can do to get refunds.

This isn’t really how that works. Tebex is only beholden to laws within the jurisdiction it is registered in. As a company headquartered in the UK, of course it will follow applicable British and to an extent, EU regulatory concerns. They are also only a retailer, not a seller, as you’re buying from third-party sellers.

From the website you erroneously learned in Canada (where I also live), it’s illegal for a business to refuse a return for a defective product

Buying online from other countries can be risky because consumer protection laws and standards may not be the same as those in Canada. Resolving issues may be difficult if something goes wrong.

Then addressing this:

It’s not depending on where they sell their products. In most countries outside of the EU, they don’t have the right to refuse refunds in the case of defective products. This includes software.

That again is an incorrect interpretation of the law. Stores don’t need to follow the laws of the nation you as a buyer are purchasing from. They only need to follow the laws of the nation the seller is located in (even this is questionable in most jurisdictions) and most importantly the laws of the the nation the retailer is located in. You’re conflating a lot of false concepts but critically, you’re missing the very important detail which is that Tebex isn’t a seller, they are a retailer like Amazon or eBay. This puts them in a different class when it comes to a lot of consumer protection legislation.

I’m not saying Tebex is great, I got screwed over by a seller this week after waiting three months for a custom car order and he deleted his discord and disappeared. Tebex won’t issue a refund or even take down his store so now I’m out a good chunk of money and no product, along with around 12 other customers. But I’ve been around FiveM long enough to remember the hell it was before Tebex. When people used IP-locking, remote loading code, sketchy websites that were stealing your data and far scummier behaviour from even reputable sellers. Tebex isn’t perfect, but it and keymaster are far better than what we used to suffer through.

1 Like

This isn’t really how that works. Tebex is only beholden to laws within the jurisdiction it is registered in. As a company headquartered in the UK, of course it will follow applicable British and to an extent, EU regulatory concerns. They are also only a retailer, not a seller, as you’re buying from third-party sellers.

This is how it works. I’m consistently stunned by how much people in the FiveM community love to be wrong, especially wrong about things to prove that they can be screwed over and that there is nothing they can do about it.

Tebex is registered in the UK, and its parent company is based in Israel. If Tebex wants to do business in another country on any scale larger than selling small things on eBay (even then, you actually have to follow these), it must follow those countries’ laws.

Tebex is registered in the UK and doesn’t need to follow EU law; they do because they don’t want to be barred from doing business in the EU or being sued over it.

Since you’re Canadian, it’s very easy to see how this is true: when you buy from Tebex while living in Canada, they collect provincial and federal taxes. If Tebex didn’t need to respect Canadian law, why do they collect Quebec taxes? Do they collect them for fun? They collect them because they’re required to continue to conduct business in Canada on the scale they do. Otherwise, there is no reason a UK-based company would collect QST.

We are not paying UK tax when purchasing from Tebex because Tebex already follows requirements for selling products and operating in Canada. They’re not some eBay shop or small UK-based operation, they’re bound by laws in Canada when selling to Canadians and American laws when selling to Americans.

You don’t need to be constantly a victim; that is not a healthy state of mind.

That again is an incorrect interpretation of the law. Stores don’t need to follow the laws of the nation you as a buyer are purchasing from. They only need to follow the laws of the nation the seller is located in

No, again this is wrong. It’s why Tebex has different refund policies for America, Canada, the UK, and the EU. It’s why they collect sales tax for the regions they sell to. They need to follow these local laws in jurisdictions where they sell if they want to continue to sell in these areas.

Tebex isn’t perfect, but it and keymaster are far better than what we used to suffer through.

This doesn’t matter. Tebex is a multi-million dollar company, owned by an even larger company that is making tens of millions of dollars.

There is no reason to be a victim 24/7, and you can criticize and expect more from your service providers. There is no need to be complacent about the terrible services you receive or fall victim too. Just because Tebex is “less worse” than complete market anarchy doesn’t mean you should shut up and put up with their terrible customer service.

Again, I’m just consistently stunned by how many people in this community are just in this victim survival mode trying to explain why it’s ok they’re being treated like garbage and explaining it away.

CFX/Tebex/Zap are all companies that make millions of dollars a year in this space, with sellers on their platforms making hundreds/thousands, and there is no excuse for bad customer service, shady business practices or anything else in this space.

Even on platforms like eBay there are higher customer service expectations because there are actual consequences if you rip people off. eBay enforces a higher standard on its private sellers. Just the fact there is no enforcement of a code of conduct on sellers is why Tebex is problematic.

From the website you erroneously learned in Canada (where I also live), it’s illegal for a business to refuse a return for a defective product

Please do not comment if your first rebuttal/knowledge of legal/economic policy is based on your reading of one link that I provided. Doing business in foreign jurisdictions, especially modern, law-based countries like Canada, the US, EU, etc. requires significant work to respect local laws.

Tebex and any other business that decides to sell to international customers must generally respect laws in the jurisdictions they sell in.

Do they need to follow Canadian labor laws? No.

Do they need to follow laws and requirements of Canada if you’re going to conduct business in Canada? Yes.

Not sure why you mention being a victim. There are just certain things we aren’t going to be able to change as users of this platform. It’s unlikely anything will be done and the issue you or I face with Tebex is not something that is widely shared by the majority of users on the platform in order to generate the kind of voice for change that made Tebex an official retailer of the platform in the first place.

As for the rest of your quite rude diatribe, you basically ignored half of what I stated. The critical piece is the fact that Tebex isn’t a seller, they don’t sell anything to anyone outside of monthly/yearly subscriptions for their services. They really aren’t much different than Wix or Squarespace (as opposed to managed storefronts like eBay), they provide you with a website/storefront and act as the retailer/payment service for 3rd parties to sell products.

Taxes are paid on transactions by you because you’re using Canadian financial institutions to make online purchases. Neither Tebex or the seller you’re buying from is paying tax on your purchase, you are paying it to the government. If you’ve sold anything on Tebex you’d know the money never touches your account, it goes right from the customer to Tebex and then on to the respective government. Hell, Tebex doesn’t even make us upload tax information so our income is reported to the government. That should be the largest indicator to you that you are fundamentally wrong about how the business works. If Tebex was operating in the way you described, we’d need to upload our tax information so the money we make on the platform is properly reported to CRA. There is people making tens of thousands per year that is completely unreported.

I gave you a link so you could read for yourself, not because that’s all I have. Not sure why you need to be so rude to people having a conversation with you. Doing business in foreign jurisdictions isn’t the same as you accessing a website from Canada and making a purchase. That doesn’t equate to the website doing business in Canada, it’s you doing business with the website. If you don’t use a credit card and don’t use a Paypal connected to a Canadian bank, you won’t need to pay any Canadian taxes on your purchases.

Not sure why you mention being a victim. There are just certain things we aren’t going to be able to change as users of this platform. It’s unlikely anything will be done and the issue you or I face with Tebex is not something that is widely shared by the majority of users on the platform in order to generate the kind of voice for change that made Tebex an official retailer of the platform in the first place.

It’s because of the victim/complacent mindset that this community has… just like:

here are just certain things we aren’t going to be able to change as users of this platform.

Yes, there are things you can change by actually speaking out and complaining… If you don’t complain then people like Rockstar/CFX will think we’re ok with how Tebex is behaving, and not take action. If your best response is to just say “suck it up it could be worse” then you’re already in this mindset.

. It’s unlikely anything will be done and the issue you or I face with Tebex is not something that is widely shared by the majority of users on the platform in order to generate the kind of voice for change that made Tebex an official retailer of the platform in the first place.

It is an issue that is faced by many users, but they also think there’s nothing they can do about it, wrongly so because people go around spreading misinformation like you’ve done here. Saying there’s “nothing you can do” and that Tebex doesn’t need to follow local laws.

Just like how every shop that sells products for FiveM says “No refunds at all” when in reality, if you’re an EU resident or in the UK, you can refund anything on Tebex at any time. Simply stating and spreading misinformation is bad for the community, and is what leads to the complacency we have in the community.

Complaining about being ripped off on Tebex is common here, CFX, and many FiveM related (QBcore, ESX, etc.) discords. It is a problem.

As for the rest of your quite rude diatribe, you basically ignored half of what I stated. The critical piece is the fact that Tebex isn’t a seller, they don’t sell anything to anyone outside of monthly/yearly subscriptions for their services.

Tebex profits off of people selling on their platform, they conduct business internationally and like any business profit off income from doing business. Whether they are a “seller” or a “platform” is irrelevant to laws, all that governments care about is you conducting business making a profit. They function almost exactly like eBay or Amazon’s platform that allows third parties to sell on their site.

Please don’t make statements if you’re just going to make things up.

Taxes are paid on transactions by you because you’re using Canadian financial institutions to make online purchases. Neither Tebex nor the seller you’re buying from is paying tax on your purchase, and you are paying it to the government.

There are legal requirements for Tebex to collect these and process them. If they were only based in the UK, they would not collect Canadian tax on me buying from a seller based in Turkey. They do. This is one of the value adds of Tebex, in that they (or whatever financial subcontractor they hire) process taxes and manage it for you and Tebex so they don’t have to actually do it themselves.

This is what they provide as a marketplace. This is one of the benefits to sellers in that they process a lot of things like sales tax for you so you don’t need to do it.

If Tebex was operating in the way you described, we’d need to upload our tax information so the money we make on the platform is properly reported to CRA. There are people making tens of thousands per year that are completely unreported.

Uh no? This is your responsibility to report. Tebex should (considering how much money they take) provide this information in a clean way for customers but it’s not a requirement for them to report to the CRA. There is no obligation in Canada for eBay to report your business income to the CRA, but it is the law that you should report it yourself. I don’t know how this is relevant, and this seems like a strawman argument.

However, Tebex has to pay whatever applicable taxes/fees they are required to pay by the Canadian government/whatever jurisdiction they decide they conduct business in - that’s irrelevant to the individual sellers/storefronts. They have their own requirements/obligations separate from the sellers.

As for the rest of your quite rude diatribe, you basically ignored half of what I stated.

Excuse my “rudeness”. I just think spreading misinformation and being nihilistic and bringing others down about their rights/protections by spreading misinformation isn’t exactly the best way to operate in life.

Just because you got screwed on Tebex and someone told you to suck it up, doesn’t mean you should continue spreading that nihilistic mindset around the community.

Telling people their complaints are not valid because “no one else is complaining” is also a terrible way to treat anything.

Rather than saying “Sure, let’s improve the current terrible state of Tebex/customer relations on FiveM” you basically came in and said, “nah, even though you got scammed that’s your fault and Tebex isn’t responsible. Also just deal with it.” What kind of response is that?

Doing business in foreign jurisdictions isn’t the same as you accessing a website from Canada and making a purchase.

No that does equate to that… especially when it’s at the scale that Tebex is involved. Please do some basic research on this.

If you don’t use a credit card and don’t use a Paypal connected to a Canadian bank, you won’t need to pay any Canadian taxes on your purchases.

They do this by checking your billing address. Yes, if I open an American bank, and have an American address, they will charge me American taxes because they are assuming I need to pay American taxes as they assume I’m a resident of the US because they are complying with American law.

This has nothing to do with my bank, it has to do with the payment processor that Tebex uses, which facilitates all this for them so they don’t have to do it/the sellers don’t. The seller collects these for Tebex so that Tebex (and the seller) don’t need to pay GST/HST to the Canadian government. It’s processed automatically.

If I bought some glasses with my Canadian bank account/address from the UK, I wouldn’t pay Canadian taxes, I would either pay no taxes or pay UK sales tax.

If you’ve actually bought things online from businesses overseas, you would realize this. Major players like Tebex/Overwolf/Amazon must abide by these because they want to do large amounts of business in many jurisdictions. Bob’s Sunglasses Shack in London doesn’t need to because he is not selling to Canadians or doing business there.

Yeah like whats the deal here?

I have bought about 6 scripts recently, all fully encryped with with some of them not mentioning it at all, the others say Client and Server, then even the nativeUI and RageUI menus are encryped with you open them. But these 6 scripts are all outdated for the new getsharedobject and dont even run.

Like these scripts are clearly abandoned if they are not updated now and fully encrypted so you cant even change it.

Yet tebex threaten to ban you for seeking a refund and the most you will get from them is, “We will contact the seller and try to get it fixed”

Like for real ? They clearly need to moderate sellers if this is happening.