Tebex and its 15% gateway fees for FiveM

I’ve been thinking about this for some time and I think a 15% fee FiveM take off Tebex is too high. I understand that FiveM is a company making profit but people pay for hosting, patreon and lose 15% of their earnings because FiveM is making us use Tebex. For people like me that sell scripts we also have to use tebex.

My admin panel resource sells for £29.50. I’m taking away £23 maximum from every transaction and FiveM are taking £4-£5 per transaction which equivalates to $5.20 - $6.85. Looking at other platforms on Tebex, most of them include 5% and some rarely 10%.

I don’t want to cause a big raul over this and “start arguments” but I’m just expressing how I feel people have to pay quite a lot to already run their servers and forced to use patreon if they want more slots and features (onesync).

5 Likes

Looking at the standard for digital markets, most of them ask 30% or higher - for example, at the time we decided these fees, Amazon’s gaming programs had a 50% fee. The same went for numerous other gaming-related user content marketplaces. Similarly, at the time, the default app store fee was 30%, with some going down to 15-20%.

As such, this 15%, of which part is our fee and part is Tebex’s base fee, is already half or less of the standard market fee, which is where this specific fee came from during initial consideration.

As to premium subscription payments (i.e. ‘Element Club’), these are an entirely separate concern, and we are still considering ways to mitigate these for projects with sufficient turnover, and there are already documented means of using this functionality for free (including, but not limited to, source code patches) so saying this is ‘forced’ is rather misleading. Similarly, in thinking of pricing schemes for your content, the fees are known in advance, so these can be taken into consideration as well.

There’s likely some announcements to follow later this year about commercialization concerns including stuff like this.

I’ll also add that if this topic turns into any form of weird argument of ‘but, but, but’, I suspect it will end up closed. The decision to commercialize the project was not one taken lightly, and I personally would’ve preferred this were sustainable any other way, but it very much is not. It also should be noted that we are generally nicer and more humane than most other similar ecosystems, let alone any actual ‘big tech’ corporations.

From this point of view this seems entirely justified.
And at least you are open to discussing and explaining the why and how this system is used.

Looking forward to this announcement :+1:

1 Like