Suggestions For Repo Setup And Collaborative Development

Hey Everyone,

I’m looking for some suggestions on how to set up a collaborative development environment using git/github. My directory structure is as follows:

my-server -
          | server -
                   | binaries
          | server-data -
                   | cache
                   | resources

Here my-server is a github repository, and so is server-data. I need my-server to be a repo that way I can work on the server with my friends. I’ve added server-data as a submodule, but when I make changes in this repo (to server-data/server.cfg for example), they don’t appear as changes in git or github desktop. Is anyone else developing in a similar setup or have any suggestions?

1 Like

I think u can’t use git for a fivem server repository because github have a size limit of the repo… Did u resolve your problem? Cause I have the same problem right now…

Yes, there’s a few different approaches you can take. Either way, you should create a Github organization for your fivem server.

1. Under your org, create each resource as it’s own repo. This is obviously the most intensive to setup, but I think the reward is worth it. If you are expanding your development team, this gives you extra control over who can access which resources. You can then create different versions of your server (i.e. server-all-resources, or server-core-resources, etc) which have the different resources as sub modules for what ever purpose you want (lightweight development server, UAT server, production server etc.).

2. Under your org, create a server-data repo, then push all your code to that. If there are large resources (i.e. cars) you can move them to their own repo under your org, then list them as a submodule. If you don’t want to use a submodule, you can just manually clone the resource you pulled out, into your local server-data folder.