Starting a (too?) big project

Hello all and happy new year!

For the last few month, I have been thinking about creating a FiveM server.

Why ?
Because I played on many RP servers and I don’t want that anymore.
What I’m looking for now if a FiveM server where players would find what they enjoyed most in GTA Online: Having fun as we all do when playing GTA, driving as they want, shoting things (and people), doing some missions and farming money to buy supercars, houses and other cool stuff.
So that when you see a player driving his own supercar, you know he has been on the server for a while. Like a cool mount on oldschool MMORPGs.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find a server like that.

So, I started looking into making my own server. I did some tests, and the reality hit me: This is not easy!
Of course I could set a QBcore server in less than 15 minutes and try to adapt it for my needs. But the framework is really too RP oriented for my needs, and it changes the gameplay too much.
Same with ESX.
So these are not an option. I need to do it from scratch.

I’m ok using usefull ressources (free or paid) made by the community if they fit my needs. No need to reinvent the wheel.
But as I said, all this is not easy, even with all the guides available online and my not so bad knowledge of programming, and it is a lot of work.

That is why i’m writing this.
I’m looking for people who share my will to find what we all loved about GTA Online on a FiveM Server, to join me on this big project.
Any help will be appreciated of course. BUT, i’m looking for passionate people interrested in creating something (i think) unique. That mean doing it free of charge.

But understand me well, if you want to be paid for your work, I obviously understand and respect that, but that is not what I’m looking for here.
I’m ok for paying someone to make a specific script. I already did actually. But, as excited as I am about this project, I can’t afford to spend tons of money on it.

I will also pay for the server costs once it is ready. I have no idea of an opening date. I’m not in a hurry and want to take time to do thing well.

So, if you want to be part of it, you can send me a MP here or contact me on discord (tabbhonmin) and tell me what you want to/can do. If you speak french this is a plus, but english is fine.

I’m also curious to read your thought here about this project.

Thank you for taking time to read this.

What you are describing is what we used to call a “Godfather”(after the movie, yes) or “RPG” gamemode, in the SA:MP days. Basically, you take an RP server, remove the tryhard rules like Metagaming, Powergaming, RDM, VDM, etc, you create an economy and an endgame system (usually Factions and Turfs) and then you play.

It’s exactly how I made my server, and yes, you’re right, QBCore or ESX or vRP contains too much… bloat… but that doesn’t mean you can’t really use it. You can still spin up a QBCore server and have all the GTA Online Freeroam fun that you can have, while keeping an active Economy server. You just need relaxed rules and more permissions for the regular players.

Sidenote: I think we should call this type of gamemode "Economy Freeroam".

If you already know how to write code and you’re determined to make your own gamemode, I suggest you take a look at how I designed my FiveDivision gamemode. It’s not pretty or really fast, but it gets the job done and it’s really easy to connect to standalone resources. (I use it on my RPG as well, and it held 100+ people with no problems at all).

But if you haven’t made any resources before, start with QBCore and work from there. It will take a bit to clear it up for Economy Freeroam, but after that you will have a lot of really good (and a lot more of not so good) resources on the forums, both free and paid.

I also suggest you read @Jaymo 's How hackers can exploit your servers and what to do about it and Discussion: Roleplay Frameworks plus all of their replies.

Other great posts for modern resources are ofc: my Some Game Events and how to use them, @AvarianKnight 's How to use State Bags, @MrDankKetchup 's [Tutorial] How to use Routing Buckets easily :) / The correct way to instance people and @kn0pee 's [How-to] Use the profiler command to identify problematic scripts

There are other great posts on the forum for whatever else you need. You the search function with confidence.

If you’re planning on writing your own gamemode from scratch, I suggest you do as much as possible server-side (including giving weapons and spawning entities), so you can use SetRoutingBucketEntityLockdownMode - FiveM Natives @ Cfx.re Docs in Strict mode (pretty much prevented all trolling attempts on my server).

If you need anything, just ask on the forums, I’m sure there’s still people willing to help others whenever they can.

1 Like

sounds a bit like what me and a few others are trying to do. we have a great start and i think youd be happy with what we have going on and what the ideas are. i dont know if im allowed to post the post i made in here but here it is(remove if necessary) Server in development! | Brand new community! | Be a part of the very beginning!. Come check it out and maybe be a team member! We would love some passionate people!