Server artifact's recommended and optional updates

Will there ever be an update to the latest recommend / latest option on the server artifacts page?

I’m asking this because our infra setup checks that page and those anchors to see if we should update our artifacts.

Currently, it hasn’t changed since the release of 5848(2022-09-01).

6356, released 2023-03-21 19:54:28

I don’t think you read the question fully :sweat_smile:

Yes, it’s clear the page has the latest artifacts on it, but the latest recommended or latest optional have been stale since 5848 and not updated alongside the last 6+ months of artifact updates…

Last time somebody asked, recommended artifacts aren’t being updated because of “unknown regressions”, whatever that’s supposed to mean. :person_shrugging:

it’s not due to any known ‘bugs’ but mainly due to the very likely presence of unknown regressions

At the time somebody claimed state bags were broken between recommended and whatever version was out two months ago, never said what was actually broken, and didn’t provide a repro “within the next few days”.

Meanwhile every time there’s a new commit it increases the odds of some regression or other unexpected behaviour popping up, and increases the range of causes. What’s the point of having optional even?

I think maybe the optional should be used as the one CFX wants regression tested.

At least it is pointing people in the direction of doing the regression testing for them. I understand the want to have things regression tested before bumping stable, but honestly, if we are not getting told which one should be getting tested fully for it to be bumped to stable the community will be non the wiser :smiley:

Since there’s this many changes, the latest. Marking an older version as ‘optional’ has no benefit at this point and the label is just a leftover from when this system was first thought up, and since it is now a compatibility concern (see also OP here and their ‘infrastructure’ relying on these labels, whatever that means) these labels can’t be removed either.

I believe ‘optional’ was usually bumped a few days/weeks before the ‘recommended’ label at a point after large sets of changes had just been committed, but now there actually are just a lot of small changes with a lot of varying potential side effects to the extent that it literally has no actual use and even if it got bumped it would still not lead to any extra reports so it again is just a leftover.

(similarly, the same goes for the ‘recommended’ label: I literally have no clue what is going on here anymore, what the current state of server releases or the game even is, I have no access to remove this label or update the version tagged there, and it has so many unknown consequences in part due to the ‘end of support’ warning, including weird posts like 1-year LTS FXServer release as a result of the last version having a regression this user didn’t report - and instead of reporting it, acting really weirdly on the Discord chat and elsewhere - that still never got a reproduction case either, so that only adds more agitating complexity to the ‘recommended’ label… that nobody else also seemed willing or able to take up either)

Answering the original question, ‘will there ever be an update’: yes, this is still intended somewhen, but no idea when as there is quite literally negative backlog velocity at this point and I don’t have any energy to even be at a desk for more than 15 minutes at a time and nobody else seems able to do much in regards to basic project maintenance either as of late, especially with everything being super important and users just getting concerned about every little thing as well to the extent that even planning is an infinite juggle of social concerns way more than technical considerations.

1 Like

I appreciate the response and thank you for all the time and effort you put into the project!

We have decided to modify our infrastructure so we can define a version instead of relying on the recommended.

This will also allow us to potentially start giving some quantifiable data(hopefully) if we do find regression in that version.

1 Like