[Release] FTools (Developer Tool)

FTools

Today, I’m very happy to release this useful tools I have been working on for few weeks

About

I have noticed some “inexperienced” people are asking how to create 3D text and marker, or try to do so, but without success. So, I decided to create this resource to help them, but also, to facilitate experienced developers. Instead of creating a new loop each time you need a 3D text or marker, with a lot of conditions inside to check the distance and a control pressed, you just need to call a function.

features

• 3D text
  • Marker, with action event
  • Area (Sphere, Circle, Box, Rectangle and Custom)
  • Pickups

Open spoiler to have details

details

3D Text

It’s basically a text drawn in the wold, you can set the color, scale, position, font and max distance.

Marker

This one is more interesting, you can create a simple marker, but you can add it some features. Like a 3D text and an action event, that can trigger an event or a callback.

Area

Really cool feature too, you can create an area with the shape you want (Sphere, Circle, Box, Rectangle or Custom) then you can trigger event or callback when the player enter or exit.

Custom shape is a poly with the points you want, but I don’t recommend to use 1000 points.

Pickups

What is the point? There are already pickups in GTAV, yes but not like these. They are props sync other the network with action event that can trigger an event. So you can use the model you want and make them dynamic.

Action event

I talked about action event, but what is it exactly? It can be attached to a marker or a pickup, then when the player is on it, you can trigger an event or a callback. You can set it as Auto or as a Control Pressed, like “Press E to do”.

Callback doesn’t work with pickups

Screenshots

some screenshots

Marker Event

Another one

Pickup

Enter the area event

Exit the area event

Planned

I don’t know, you can tell me if you have some ideas.

Downloads

Yes because I think it’s important for a release :slight_smile:

Download link: Release
Source: Github
Documentation: Docs

How to install
  1. Download or Clone the repository
  2. Put FTools in your resources folder
  3. Add start FTools at the beginning of your server.cfg
  4. (Optional) You can change max_clients in __resource.lua
How to use

How to use

You can use FTools with exports and map directive, but how to do that?

For more information, you can find the full documentation here

Exports

All features are available in exports.FTools or exports["FTools"]

Example:

--Create a 3D text
exports.FTools:CreateText3D(
	"text_id", -- Unique identifier
	"Hello world", -- Text
	0, -- Font
	{ R = 255, G = 255, B = 255 }, -- RGB color 
	{ X = 1.0, Y = 1.0 }, -- 2D Scale
	{ X = -601.23, Y = 256.78, Z = 64.2 }, -- World position
	30.0 -- Max distance
)

Map directive

Another way is to use map files. You know? Like map.lua that you can find inside fivem-map-hipster, it contains some spawnpoint, it’s a map file.

Example:

create3DText "text_id" {
	Text = "Hello World",
	Font = 0,
	Color = { R = 255, G = 255, B = 255 },
	Scale = { X = 1.0, Y = 1.0 },
	Pos = { X = -601.23, Y = 256.78, Z = 64.2 },
	MaxDistance = 30.0
}

Contributing

I tried to make it more optimized as possible, but if you have any suggestion, you can tell me.

15 Likes

Nice Release :wink:

2 Likes

Nice , very nice realease !
Maybe you can help me , i want to make a admin 3Dtext when they are on admin mod and they teleport on player , so player see on their head they are " admin "

1 Like

how to paste this code for text3d ?
“text_id”, – Unique identifier
“Hello world”, – Text
0, – Font
{ R = 255, G = 255, B = 255 }, – RGB color
{ X = 1.0, Y = 1.0 }, – 2D Scale
{ X = -601.23, Y = 256.78, Z = 64.2 }, – World position
30.0 – Max distance
)
or
add3DText “text_id” {
Text = “Hello World”,
Font = 0,
Color = { R = 255, G = 255, B = 255 },
Scale = { X = 1.0, Y = 1.0 },
Pos = { X = -601.23, Y = 256.78, Z = 64.2 },
MaxDistance = 30.0
}
i paste into fivem-map-hipster map.lua don’t work

FTools can’t attach 3D text on entity, but can be a cool feature to add :wink:

FTools exports can be used in any resource you want, so by example you want to add a 3D text to indicate the hospital home, you can put it in your hospital script:

--Create a 3D text
	"hospital_home", -- Unique identifier
	"Home", -- Text
	0, -- Font
	{ R = 255, G = 255, B = 255 }, -- RGB color 
	{ X = 1.0, Y = 1.0 }, -- 2D Scale
	{ X = -601.23, Y = 256.78, Z = 64.2 }, -- World position
	30.0 -- Max distance
)

But for the map directive, it’s my bad, I completely forgot to change the function name, it’s create3DText now: https://github.com/fauconjona/FTools/wiki/Map-directives#create3dtext

Ohh this is going to be so neat to have cant wait to sit down and just test it out thanks for the release you did a good job

1 Like

Best release

1 Like

nice release
ty!

1 Like

Would we have to paste this in a client script or a server script? Or would we have to create a new lua file and define it ourselves in the __resource.lua file… (Sorry, I’m new at FiveM Development)

Super amazing release! I’ve finally gotten it to work in my server! But, for some reason, I can’t get the Markers to stick to the floor instead of floating… I’ve even tried to adjust the “Z” axis in the script, none seem to work.

Screenshot

i dont understand how do i use this

How to start FTools in game? :-/