Multiple, toggleable minimaps?

So, here’s the idea.

I’m working on KotH server and the main driving idea is to have completely custom deathmatch maps. LS will be gone (or toggleable) and with custom maps loaded in, ideally, comes also loaded custom minimap for each said map.

Although, I have no idea, if that’s even possible. So, is it? Or is there any alternative to that?

I ran into this resource, but everytime I exported my own map (different server), it was all black. None of people responsible for the release responded about it so far either, so I guess tough luck. But, theoretically, this could solve my problem, if the code could be tweaked for several map models to choose from.

If none of these will be an option for me, I suppose I’ll have to double down on intuitive game design and other UI elements covering the lack of appropriate minimap.

I’ll appreciate any constructive comments on this issue!

Definitely an interesting concept. If you don’t mind me asking, what process did you use to export your map? It looks like their script uses a specific format for reading in the images and data for the minimap to output so if it isn’t getting that information correctly that could be why it displays black.

However, if it is possible to get that resource working with your own map, I definitely bet (with a little finessing) you could have it read in different maps based on certain game states.

Definitely an interesting concept. If you don’t mind me asking, what process did you use to export your map? It looks like their script uses a specific format for reading in the images and data for the minimap to output so if it isn’t getting that information correctly that could be why it displays black.

Well, the description said OBJ format with unpacked textures. So that’s what I did. But there has to be some other setting screwing something up.

However, if it is possible to get that resource working with your own map, I definitely bet (with a little finessing) you could have it read in different maps based on certain game states.

I hope so. Unfortunately for me, I’ve got no responses from anyone on this issue.

Taking a quick look at the code, in /html/index.html at lines 208, 209, and 224 there are setPath() functions which seem to be getting that unpacked objects directory. Some simple conditionals there could allow you to load in different map objects.

That sounds great! Now, if only I knew how to properly export OBJ for this thing. I really don’t know what might be an issue. When looking at export options inside Blender, I didn’t see anything that could offer somewhat a different export, maybe apart embedded textures. But those have to be unpacked as the original file has them…

Maybe I’ll get to it some other time and figure it out or someone else will get there first.

Actually, I have an updated version of this script, but it still has some issues need to fix, I will release it when I finished.

1 Like