Is it Illegal to use the GTA SA or Vice City Map Modifications

Take2 has been going crazy with DMCA filings against people within the modding community just for having custom maps uploaded somewhere, is it illegal or will it illicit Take2’s legal team if myself, or someone, were to release a FiveM RP server using one of these map mods, being the old GTA SA map from GTA SA, or the Vice City map from GTA VC?

1 Like

I doubt, there are plenty of servers out there that use those assets

See, thats what I figured, until I attempted to look for some and I couldn’t find any on the server browser for FiveM (only saw one server that claimed they used the LC map but none for GTASA or VC), not sure if thats due to the lack of availability for said assets or if the servers are listed elsewhere.

We used to have Vice City but later changed it to a custom map to have something new. We didn’t have any legal issues during the time we had that map. You may not be able to find many servers using these assets, as they (map mods) were taken down from mod-sharing websites a while ago.

From my understanding it is not illegal to use, however R* has taken action against the modders who have released the map mods due to DMCA.

I used to have various maps from various GTA games but quit using them a long time ago. Good luck finding the assets :frowning:

Yeah I searched for a while but I was able to locate the old GTA SA full map in GTA V, problem I’m having now is getting it converted to FiveM with NPC traffic routes and etc., not opposed to giving someone the files if they can do this conversion or assist in some manner.