Interested in learning Lua and developing a server, HOWEVER

Hi, I’m new to FiveM and to GTA V as well. I came from SA after I heard about this mod and I’m an ex server developer there (in a popular multiplayer mod). I’m wondering if FiveM offers the same level of freedom multiplayer mods from San Andreas offer (textdraws, custom maps, large server-sided systems…). From what I’ve seen on Youtube, all servers are still based in the game’s main city and really the environment feels the same in every server. I’m wondering if you could set up a server that has medieval settings and almost makes you think it’s a different game.
I still haven’t taken a look at the wiki and I’ve never used Lua before. What are the current limits that FiveM has in terms of scripting (if that’s the right term)?

1 Like

SAMP or MTA?

FiveM can feel a lot like MTA. You can use Lua, js or C#, which ever you feel more comfortable with (but lua has more tutorials and example code).

The main issue is not FiveM, but rather server owners lacking…creativity, or players not wanting to try new stuff.

Not sure about making it feel like a different game, but you can stream custom models, custom ymaps, custom clothes and I think weapons too. The game already has melee weapons, so streaming a sword shouldn’t be that hard, and you can always attach a shield object to the player using AttachEntityToEntity - Natives @ Cfx.re Docs, I guess.

Honestly, the game doesn’t limit you that much. I remember there are some limits on the amount of clothes a ped can have, @grzybeek knows more about that, I don’t really like modding, but you can always stream more peds.

1 Like

First off, welcome to fivem. I believe, everything about fivem is very flexible. As long as everything is done by TOS and rules provided, I do think you can get as creative as you want. Funny thing about people, is when you give them a canvas to work on (as so to speak) you would be shocked at what they come up with. From the day fivem was created too today, It has evolved enormously. If something hasnt been created yet, somebody will make it work. Crap ton of smart people here.

Only thing that ive seen, is you cant change the map. Thats the only downfall, but its prob for the better anyway LOL. Take a look around this forum, and see all the cool stuff people have come up with over the years. Just recently in our server #2, (yes we own 2 LOL) weve turned it into the ‘Walking Dead’ zombie server. We have a youtube series coming soon called 'Wasteland" and its honestly going to be scary as hell LOL. But anyway Battle, take a look around. Fivem is pretty cool. And again, welcome :slight_smile:

There are (or used to be) servers that imported the entire Liberty City map, complete with lights, and ped navmesh. Also, people are still importing the Cayo Perico island as a separate map, to avoid having to load and unload IPLs, so changing the map is definitely possible.

1 Like

First of all thank you for your reply, every reply I will get here will be very helpful as I’m highly interested in moving to FiveM

To answer your first question, I come from SA-MP

Somehow I felt relieved reading that, because I was wondering about the lack of variety in the servers and it was rather worrisome. I thought this was caused by hard limits that were enforced by the game engine itself. Of course every game engine has limits, but I guess not to the extent that almost everyone just makes the same gamemode with different mini scripts in it.

Honestly that sounds convenient and simple enough for me, we are used to circumventing those limits in SA-MP by using available functions (SetPlayerAttachedObject as an example)

About modding, yes excessive modding is definitely annoying. The thing is, I’m looking forward to modding models that don’t go against the game “vibes” and that are realistic. I believe it would be rather interesting and would add more variety among the servers if done properly.

Well there ya go LMAO I guess I was wrong about that :slight_smile: This is what I love about stuff like this. Thanks for letting me know critter, first Ive heard of it.

2 Likes

How about adding maps? (for example adding them in the ocean or at a high altitude?) Also is there an object limit to total added objects? Or is the limit only for the currently streamed-in objects?

You might have a bit of a “culture shock”, the same way I had when I moved from SA-MP, because you now have to think of code running either server-side or client-side.

While SAMP used to keep all the client stuff in the background, and let you code everything on the server, FiveM lets you choose (or rather doesn’t hold your hand). The server is not aware of physics, and it’s not aware of UI, or client-side entities. That’s all client.

On the other hand, if you use the superior OneSync networking (which you should), the client is not usually aware of distant players, or distant server-side entities.

Those are not limitations, but features that you should keep in mind when making your server.

Yup. You can.

Not sure about limits, but it will definitely kill some frames, if you use them a lot.

1 Like

That’s the heart of it, alright. It’s always gangs, drugs, custom cars, cop shootouts. I never understood the appeal of “300 custom cars!” but the same six role playing jobs.

I realize that is what GTA is all about, but FiveM can be a canvas where other ideas can come alive. As soon as I can learn how to build it, or find like minded content creators and developers to join me, I have ideas for a dystopian, independent Republic of San Andreas. But that is a story for another post.

That’s just what is popular atm, because it’s how GTA is designed to work.

Gary’s Mod had DarkRP and TTT, SA-MP and MTA had Godfather servers, Arma had DayZ and Altis Life. It’s not just a FiveM “issue”. Actually, it’s not an issue at all.

No, it’s not. My online RP experience is over 13 years on Second Life ®. That place gets a bad rap, there is a large “adult” population and griefers everywhere. Twitch won’t let you stream that game because at any moment, you can have bright purple singing dildos raining down on you.

I digress. My point is, there’s other ways to role play other than cops and gangs and cars. Wipe the slate clean and use some imagination with the map, script, and the game mechanics.

"If you build it, they will come." Will they?