[How-to] [Research] Audio occlusion for custom interiors

This isn’t a “how-to” per se, but rather a “here’s what you need to do and here’s sort of how you do it”-post. Most of the work was figuring out how everything is connected and what is required to make it work at all. It’s… just a lot to cover so there’s most likely gaps.

What is audio occlusion in custom interiors?
Basically you’re defining how audio should behave to/from interiors/rooms. This will only cover ambient sounds and audio paths between rooms.

ELI5/TL;DR: Weather sounds gone from buildings, audio not going through walls, but through doors/windows.

I haven’t had time to add information about StaticEmitters or custom doors sounds, but it’s rather easy and mostly self-explanatory by looking at how native buildings do.

The README on my repository contains the actual documentation though as it’s easier to update it there (and others can submit changes or add more research).

Credits (In no particular order)
Blade
xIAlexanderIx
Dwjft
GottfriedLeibniz
Everyone else that answered my questions :slight_smile:

28 Likes

I recorded some demo vids so people can compare the difference between mumble working with audio occlusion and mumble with the normal audio :slight_smile:

Mumble w/ Audio Occlusion

Mumble w/ Normal Audio

As you can see in the videos, its easy to appreciate how the occlusion affects the audio, the voice no longer goes through the walls/floors and instead it “finds” the closest opening that connects to the room with the audio source, if this opening happens to be a door or a window then it occludes part of the audio giving it a muffled effect like one would expect in irl.

5 Likes

Looks complicated AF, but still awesome NONE THE LESS!!!

1 Like