How to Properly Resize .YTD Files and Fix Textures In FiveM Without Splitting (EASY)

Alright, So I know alot of you guys are wondering how to Resize .YTD Files and fix the textures of vehicles and planes to Install them Into your FiveM server! There Will Be ‘NO NEED’ to Split the .YTD Into Multiple files and make Smaller Sizes… WE WILL NOT BE DOING THAT Yes, It’s going to take sometime to learn and do correctly But, It’s Alot Easier then Spliting The Files… Please Bear with me and ill post some screenshots down Below for you guys to follow along!!

1. So first off your going to need to download Paint.Net there’s two versions a Paid Version and of course a Free Version… Both work Great but, I Decided to get the Free one!!!
    Download Link: (Paint.NET - Download) (Get the one that’s Highlighted down Below)

1. Next you’re going to need to get OpenIV, And Something to Extract you vehicle Files with. Personally i use WinRaR as it’s simple and Easy to use! If you don’t Already have it you can Download that Here!
    Download Links: (https://openiv.com/)
    (WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files)

1. Once you have downloaded those you’re going to Need to make a Folder on your Desktop and Just to make it Easy, Simply Call it ‘Textures’ And Another one for your Vehicle Ours will be called ‘SAAB340’
    As we will be Fixing a Plane!

1. Now go ahead and open ‘OpenIV’ Goto GTAV Windows and Just wait for it to Load!

1. Create a Folder in OpenIV and just Call It ‘Cars’ and Open it! (Dont forget to Turn on Edit Mode Or We wont be getting Anywhere)

1. Now Goto the vehicle that WinRar wants us to Extract and just Open it up (No Need To Drag To Desktop) And look for the File Called ‘DLC.RPF’

1. Drag that file into your Cars folder you just Created in ‘OpenIV’…(Should Look Like This)

Now Open it Up and Find the .YTD File (x64/levels/gta5/vehicles/eaglevehicles.rpf)

1. Now as you see My file Is Over 44,000 kb (44MB)
    We Need to get that file down to Below 16,000kb (16MB)
    So, Click on the file open it up and Select ‘Export all Textures’ And Select ‘DirectDraw Surface’ and Put them into the ‘Texture’ Folder We just Made Earlier and then Open It up!

1. Now as You see there’s Going to be some Large Files… those are the one’s that’s Breaking the vehicles and causing the Texture Loss We need to Resize Them Below 5MB In Order To Get them Working! (To make it Easier Click View and Sort by File Size)

1. This is where you will be needing Paint.NET. Now go ahead and click on a file and open it! (Should Look Like This)

1. Goto The Bar on the top Left of the screen and click ‘Image’ and then Goto ‘Resize’

1. This is where it gets tricky… see the numbers on the screen? We need to bring those down in order to get the file to the right size! Click on the width and Just change that number the rest should change automatically (Mine say’s 4096. So we will be dropping the size by half and going to 2046. If Your’s Say 2046 Then Put it to 1024 Then Press Okay when done )
    DisClaimer: Please BeCareFul You ‘DONOT’ Want to go below ‘1024’… yes ‘512’ sometimes works But, As I’ve Heard this could Mess the vehicle up, and also make things visually hard to see… as per say you have a mansory edition car your adding it can make the forged carbon and other things visually hard to see on the vehicle and it wont look as good… i haven’t had it happen to me yet but, Don’t Risk it )

2. Now We need to save the the file we just edited so Click the ‘exit’ button and it should ask you to save select ‘save’ then you should get this window!

(Make sure you are on this BC3 (Linear, DXT5 and Only have Perceptual Marked! As I was Told That is What’s Called the ‘Safe Route’

1. Now You should see the file drop Sizes and Just keep doing that to the rest of the ones that are over 5.33 MB
    (Mine was 21.Mb and Is now Down to 4.Mb

2. Go back to your ‘OpenIV’ and Click the .Ytd Again and This time Goto Import On The Top Left, Select All those Files in the textures folder and select ‘Open’, Now goto the bottom Left and Click ‘Save’ (Your Pc May Lag For a second and Say Not responding But, It’s completely Fine Just be Patient)

(Disclaimer: If you get this you need to go back to the file and make it a litte bigger as the file is to small or you could have accidentally put the wrong number and it doesn’t want to import itself back into the .ytd… So Just go Back into the Texture Folder to Do a quick change and Redo it again!)

(REMEMBER: 4096 - 2048/ 2048 - 1024)

1. Now Great Job as you see, the .YTD File Size Has Changed and It is now Below 16Mb And We can Now add it Into our FiveM Server!

Please let me know How i Did… (If i Went Into To Much detail Or not and If You Guys Need any of my help… Just Let me know down in the comments and i’ll try my best to help you guys out!

I Will Be Posting the Plane, and also some of the other Vehicles I have fixed that way you guys Can See for Yourself!

Thank you All Very Much :slight_smile:

SAAB-340 (Plane we Just Added)

Pagani ZondaR/Revolution

![image|690x389]
(upload://87pTAVA82QoIcKiC0A8OH3oe6fC.jpeg)

Mansory Bugatti Chiron

Hoonigan K5 Blazer

3 Likes

You’ve made a grueling mistake in your tutorial, so let me correct you:

On-disk size (what you see as “over 44MB” in your Explorer) has NOTHING to do with how much Physical Memory an asset takes in-game (and it’s that Physical Memory that, when occupied too much by a single asset, leads to issues in-game)

Let me give you a hands-on example from a pack from this very forum:
sp8.ytd (11.5 MB)
This YTD’s on-drive is 11.5MB, while in-game it takes more than 100MBs of physmem (that’s double the amount of the suggested limit)
It’s from this pack: [Non-ELS] BCSO SoundOff Mega-Pack+ (28 Cars!) 1.2.3

Anyhow, the tutorial is great, but there’s been one made already that suggests using a tool called XnResize, [How-to] Optimize texture size | Fixing oversized assets | Bring any texture dictionary under 16 MB physical memory

Not entirely sure how or why yours is better.
Also, small note -

what? That is NOT a good idea in ALL cases. E.g., liveries should be 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 at best. 512 is way too low, it’ll be visibly “washed out”. Also, speaking about police cars specifically, make sure you use the original Emissive .dds (if the YTD has them), otherwise the emergency lights will be visually borked. That doesn’t happen on all models, however, so it’s up for testing in each individual case. TBF downsizing lights and emissive .dds inside a YTD is always a bad idea anyway, depending on the model it can lead to some pretty severe issues.

1 Like

+1 tip: Some vehicle’s YTDs contain bogus stuff - I found numerous copies of all GTAV vehicle plates (which dont have to be there as it’s vanilla content), env.dds that’s 4K (that’s also not needed at all for the absolute majority of vehicles, and even if it is you can safely resize that to infinity and beyond - I had a 64x64 env.dds that worked well enough lol)
Best way to find these is to simply backup your current YTD and delete stuff you think is not needed; load that YTD onto a local server, check if it works. Something’s broken, start adding stuff. It’s a lengthy process, but worth it in the end. The lighter a model is, the quicker it loads until we get a way to pre-load streamed assets :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Oh, one more thing - please add to your guide that, when exporting a resized .dds , you need to “Generate MipMaps”. That’s almost a necessity (especially for sign files), as not doing that can cause all types of issues

2 Likes

Moved to #development:tutorials

Nice job. Will this help mitigate the issue where people are falling through the map?

Potentially. That issue can be caused by different things, but it’s usually oversized assets (not necessarily vehicles, and you can track all those warnings in the server console if needed)

1 Like