[How-to] Optimize texture size | Fixing oversized assets | Bring any texture dictionary under 16 MB physical memory

All .ytd files can be modified this way. Coming days I will make a tutorial for other asset types like .yft etc.

5 Likes

oh mate thanks you are awesome, i converted manual with photoshop and its killing me

3 Likes

can’t wait for this!

1 Like

Anxiously waiting for .yft tutorial.

4 Likes

You should also state that by doing this it can cause textures to look, green and purple and also make some shit look glitchy as hell.

1 Like

Then I would advise you to follow the second advice: 1 MB files use 50% resize and under 1 MB no resize.
You can always replace the textures that look bad or glitchy with the original .dds file.
Textures that are already optimized will be destroyed by this technique, but many addon cars have a 4k textures and that downscale has no further influence on the quality.
I will edit the post and add that textures may be destroyed and that they should then be replaced by the original .dds file.

1 Like

Yeah I was just pointing out the obvious from a vehicle modders perspective.

i wait ytf tutorial

4 Likes

me too

2 Likes

Thank you!
You saved me seriously.

Waiting on the ytf tutorial too.

1 Like

I dont know if anyone said this already BUT what i figured out is:

if your textures arent the same size like:
2048x2048 or 2048x1024 it will glitch the textures.

if you have textures that are 513x512 or 2048x1025 it will somehow glitch itself

if you have the problem you can do resize them on your own with a Programm like Gimp (free)

just scale them to an equal size or scale them manually down .

i do it like that if i have a glitching texture:

(513x512)

IMport the texture in Gimp and scale them to 512x512 then replace the old texture with the one you just scaled and import all the other one (if there are equal) to XnResize and do the tutorial above.

works fine for me on 400/1200 Cars that i have on my server

Okay, mostly unrelated to the tutorial, but how do you have your OpenIV directed to your FXServer file path? OpenIV only lets you path to a folder with GTA5.exe in it?

Select “Open Folder” in the drop down list:

I’m also working on a tool that does this for everyone, will help server owners to add optimised vehicles to there servers.

ETA: between January the 1st and January the 10th

14 Likes

Maybe make an option to be able to generate a new modkit number in case Split vehicles is NOT selected that way tuning will work for every addon car even if you have 500+ for example? That will be life-saving for a lot of people out there!

1 Like

this sounds very good that this option is

This looks awesome! Does it take into account the oddly shaped texture file sizes? What I’ve noticed as I’ve been going through my servers’ vehicles is that anything that isn’t squared or of a normal dimension (4096, 2048, 1024, etc) will get messed up and converted into one of the “normal” dimensions.

2 Likes

THANK YOU! That will make things move much faster

Even if it does, you shouldn’t resize any lights and emissive files, as well as consoles and screens and dirt patterns. Anything else you should resize.

1 Like

Hello,
The news of your project ?
Thanks for your reply
Regards

1 Like