[How-To] Import YFT models into 3DS Max

Hello everyone, so in this tutorial, I am going to be showing you how to import YFT models into 3DS Max 2016.

After a lot of researching, I couldn’t find any posts or much documentation on Google, and after speaking with @xLogicc it seemed like it wasn’t possible from what he told me.

So first I came across this YFT breakdown software, which breaks all of the components of a YFT into its respective files.

Then after doing some additional research from that data, I discovered a 3DS Max DFF importer plugin, which led to his.

I have only tested this on 3ds Max 2016, I am unsure how it will work on 2017-2020+, but it should work okay regardless, if it doesn’t, let me know and I’ll build it to be on the latest support.

Credits:

PLEASE NOTE: The textures do not import, however, you can reapply the textures to specific components by detaching them, or simply apply the texture and UV Map it, it may not be 100% accurate, but you can integrate it with some work.

As you can see I’ve imported a drone from the mpbattle DLC and applied the textures, this can be done with any prop Screenshot - 9124306e056a2d601625f8ab2c4f0517 - Gyazo.

Installation:

1. Download this yft_exporting (1.1 MB) zip file to get access to all assets & software.
  2. After downloading that, extract it somewhere you like.
  3. Go into Software/DFF Importing and drag those two folders into your 3DS Max Directory/scripts/ folder, this will implement the plugin into your 3DS Max. (You can simply right-click 3ds max in windows search and click open file location.
  4. Drag your desired YFT file into Software/YFT Breakdown and then run YFT_Dumper.exe which will break down your YFT into several files.
  5. Run 3DS Max & import the DFF file via Utilities -> Kam's GTA Scripts -> DFF IO -> Import DFF -> Import DFF Button -> Select your model .dff` file, in the location you placed your desired YFT file.
  6. Adding textures is the same as any other model or object in 3ds max modeling for GTA 5.
11 Likes

alternatively you could use sollumz with blender and then use bmax connector to send the files to 3ds max, seems much simpler. this is nice though thank you

2 Likes

Ahhhh I haven’t used Blender too much, so I wasn’t aware of that.

However I discovered this method and just want to share it with others, who don’t have too much experience in Blender, that information is appreciated though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Appreciate that!

1 Like

As I understand it, this method only helps to add a car to 3ds max, but does not allow you to make cars directly into 3ds max.
I was hoping that with this method, they would have skin modifiers.

Hey, This may be a stupid question, but how do I convert dff back to yft format using only 3ds max.

1 Like

hi bro, the application freezes while importing in 3ds max 2024, what can I do about it?