[How-to] Change sign/building textures

Some Signs or billboards will appear in .mesh files, you can not edit these unless you have a 3D Modeler such as 3DS Max

This tutorial requires Paint.net, codewalker, Photoshop and OpenIV

First you will need a Program called code walker, you can download code walker from here

Note: Code walker will take time to start up, be patient and don’t freak out

1. When you have CodeWalker simply open it up and find the Object or Model you want to change/edit

2. Click T And you will see a tool bar at the top left, click the black cursor in the tool bar.

3. Select the object you want by right clicking it.

4. After you have selected the object you will need to click the icon that looks like a list in the tool bar, this box will show you the name of the object you want.

5. At the top of the white box will be a area called name, that is the model name, I suggest you write this name down in notepad or somewhere you choose.

6. You can now close CodeWalker as we will open OpenIV, If you do not have OpenIV Installed you can install it by clicking here

7. I have chose to edit the Sandy Shores Sheriff Office, Which is a CS4_10 (You will understand later), Once OpenIV is open you will use folders x64c.rpf through x64u.rpf (These include props and models)

8. Since i have chose a country Model my model will be somewhere between x64q.rpf and x64u.rpf, Now take note of What your model name is CS and number was, : EX: Mine was CS4_10

9. Navigate through these folders until you find the CS You need Again I need the CS4 Folders, Once these are located we can move onto the next step

10. Locate you model in this folder, I will need to go to cs4_10.rpf as that’s where cs4_10’s are

11. Next Double click on your model to be sure it is what you are looking for, once sure close the 3d model.

12. Right click on your model and click "Extract to openFormats (.odr), then chose a directory that you will be able to find.

13. In that directory you will see a file with .dds files and a .odr, We will need that folder with the .dds files, (DO NOT DELETE THE .ODR)

14. Next we will open the folder and double click on the .dds we want to edit, this will open paint.net which you can download here

15. Next we will click File at the top left and save it as a .png (If you are good with paint.net edit it in there and skip to step 18)

16. Open that PNG in photoshop and edit it as you please. Once done save that picture as a png

17. Now open that .png in paint.net and click file > save as > then save it as a .dds

18. Replace the Texture you originally opened in that file with all the .dds files.

19. Open up OpenIV And right click Edit mode then right click and click Import to openFormats, Next chose the .odr that is in the same directory as the folder with all the .dds files.

20. You will now have a nice .ydr that you can stream onto your server. ( I have provided a folder to stream your textures, just put your .YDR in the stream folder)
    Template folder to stream.YDR Files

Im sorry for the long tutorial but this was my way of doing it, Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

For help contact me on Discord: IceyyM8#0816

14 Likes

You can also add support for .DDS in Photoshop and skip some steps.

File for DDS support in Photoshop:

youre the man! Thanks so much for taking the time to explain it the correct way!!! :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

1 Like

And one maybe correction. when you say Extract to open formats, don’t you mean Export to open formats?

I did, I wrote this a while ago and since then haven’t looked over it much.

1 Like

all good my man, figure i point it out! Great job!

I didnt know this, that’s very useful