Hitch warning after an upgrade...?

So, it was time to upgrade my VPS for a better one, since around 50 players on the server, both CPU and memory were close be maxed out.

VPS got an upgrade, 2x more compute power on paper (8c on 2,4Ghz and 16Gb ram), but now I have hitch warnings with even 20 players while CPU is around 30-40% and memory around 15%??

Can someone explain to me why is this happening? Is this HW issue? I’m on artifacts 3539, OneSync Infinity.

Hitch time warnings usually are born from scripts, that are not optimized well server side.
There is no problem for everything bellow 2000 ms.
You can check how much every scripts draws server side by recording a profiler.
Here is a guide how to do it - [How-to] Use the profiler command to identify problematic scripts

1 Like

Don’t lie. There is a problem above 50ms (for server thread), as that is the server thread tick time, unless occurring incidentally as result of a manually initiated operation.

If these warnings show, especially after startup, there is a problem.

As to OP’s question, your VPS provider probably can. It is likely that they are overselling CPU and you don’t get dedicated CPU time at all: other VMs on the same host are interfering.

This phenomenon is often called “CPU stealing”.

I will throw them another ticket, let’s see what can be done about that. There’s probably not many options how to avoid this without going for a dedicated machine, right?

I tracked out 3 really intensive resources and turned them off to see the difference. Maybe 5% less CPU usage on graph and 90% of hitch warnings are gone.

But SQL queries still still popping up. They didn’t before the VPS upgrade, so it’s probably still the issue I need to confront my VPS provider about.

Thanks to both of you, for your replies.

Dedicated servers aren’t that much more expensive compared to higher-end VPSes from commodity providers - many of them will be throwing older hardware in a bargain sale for reuse, nearly all of which is still viable for running a <100-player server for comparable cost and with less CPU/IO scheduling issues than with a VPS.

Just make sure you get something from Intel’s Sandy Bridge generation or above - anything before that is so outdated as to be unusable performance-wise.

1 Like