Has FiveM been hacked? Or is my antivirus going haywire?

I recently uninstalled FiveM and I tried to reinstall it a few hours ago. The website was throwing errors on the license page (Just before the download) and the installer was having issues. It’s working now but my antivirus is telling me FiveM has a virus. It first deleted the FiveM main exe file so I reinstalled it and now it’s telling me that FiveM is trying to install a chrome browser extension. What the hell is going on?

Image of virus warning (Note that it was NOT saying this when I installed FiveM for the first time, however, it is after the install, and I also received other virus warnings but didn’t screenshot, as well as the FiveM website throwing Cloudflare errors on the license page and elsewhere):

EDIT: This is not a help request, just wondering what’s going on. Don’t flag it you imbecile. It’s not urgent, at least for me.

No, it isn’t.

1. FiveM uses CEF technology which is hosted in a subprocess named ‘FiveM_ChromeBrowser’.
  2. This ‘detection’ is a heuristic detection that even Avast can’t name anything other than ‘generic’.
  3. Avast is known to do this any time FiveM updates and is unwilling to even work with us to resolve this issue.

It’s 100% a false positive, as you’ll also find if googling something like ‘avast idp.generic site:reddit.com’.

1 Like

Okay gotcha, I’m just curious as to why it is called ChromeBrowser though? Does it actually have anything to do with chrome?

Oh and also I might switch antivirus softwares simply because avast doesn’t even let me restore the files, giving me a (possibly) false error when I try to restore from my virus chest, even though I’m able to restore my roblox hacks perfectly fine, lol.

Oh, also not to mention it won’t let me whitelist FiveM. I mean that can’t be anything other than intentional, right? When I try to whitelist FiveM I can click the whitelist button but it literally does nothing.

Yes, it’s the same browser as used for Google Chrome. CEF is made/maintained by Google. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_Embedded_Framework

I suggest you get no third-party antivirus. Windows Defender has developed immensely over the years and is more than sufficient for any home use. Third-party antivirus software won’t detect more than Windows Defender and sell the data they collect.

That’s probably you not using the software correctly. Honestly, these tools are so invasive that they don’t even let you control your files?! Think about it. Don’t use such software.

Fair enough. I would use linux instead of windows, as it has a lot less bloatware, and programs you can get for it (mostly) respect your privacy and aren’t full of invasive advertisements, but I can’t play most of my favourite games on it which means I can’t switch to it without sacrificing my fun. Thanks for the help though!