Good RP on FiveM

In all my days playing on this platform, it only seems to be getting harder and harder to find people that like to have relaxed, interesting, and in-depth RP with evolving stories and canon. It’s rare that I find someone who is interested in telling a story through their character or someone that values having fun with some friends over having a high rank. I’m not entirely sure if I’m expecting too much from the community or if it’s just always been this way and I’m on the wrong platform for that sort of thing. What’s everyone else think? Am I just crazy or looking in the wrong place, or do you feel the same? I’d love to know and would appreciate any type of response.

Also, this is a little off-topic, but one thing I do like about these forums is the heavy dev and mod activity that takes place, so thank you guys for keeping things tidy.

4 Likes

I’ve been playing for 2 years and I have to say, as the popularity increases, it goes more mainstream causing YouTubers that have never roleplayed to join and then those who join from those videos replicate that youtubers fail roleplay. It used to be a niche with only YouTube’s like polecat, and everyone wanting to roleplay like that, but now, more people like JMWfilms are recording videos and causing people to want to roleplay like that.

2 Likes

That feels about right. I like that the platform is gaining the popularity it deserves, but it saddens me a bit to see it happen the way it is.

I know exactly how you feel. I’ve been looking for a decent server like you talk about for a while and still haven’t found something. I’ve been surfing around on servers found in server-bazaar and never find a good one.

When I join one of said servers, I immediately get tagged a hundred times, asked to subscribe to some dumb YouTube channel, Discord has about 20 people in it, 10 being “Staff” members. Said server usually has a bunch of bullshit text on the screen that takes up the whole bottom half of the screen, Discord has a bunch of random channels filled with junk, a bunch of dumb roles such as “kewl kid”.

I honestly don’t know where else to look. FiveM is not meant to be only for Roleplaying, but it’s what it is mainly used for. A few servers are creative, such as Transport Tycoon, or those drifting servers. I enjoy roleplaying, and really want to find a quality server. Of course, one’s thought would be “Why don’t I just make a good server if I can’t find one?” trust me tried it. You never grow, you never gain any people. The only people who join expect a high rank or a staff rank. Now this being said, I’m not discouraging anyone from making a server. You don’t know if it will work until you try it yourself.

It seems as though more and more little immature kids are somehow getting GTA 5, and playing FiveM, discouraging older, more mature roleplayers from finding a good server.

3 Likes

Exactly. I’m content to know others feel that way. I’m a server owner, and at this point, I’ve stopped reaching for numbers and attempted an appeal to an audience like you and I. I’m not here to peddle my server to you, feel DM me if you really do want to know more, but the real reason I made this post was to have a discussion and hear what everyone thinks about the way I feel. I guess the platform wasn’t really made for RP, but it’s such a good one for it, and if the community was more suited for RP it would be just incredible.

1 Like

To be honest I feel that the community is dead for the reasons we all got into it for. Between severs being a “GTA chat room”, “Hot server copy cat”, Copy and paste code, or “Get the fastest car you can get” its just a dead industry for role play. Lets not forget the drama we see with admins. Its just a hard road for creative rpers to find a home. I just about gave up at this rate. Outside of making your own community (which who has the money to do that) what can you do

2 Likes

The community is at a point where you have a number of types of servers:

• Big servers, with 32 people on usually.
  • Copycat servers, such as DOJ clones.
  • Small servers run by little kids who bribe people with staff ranks to get them to join.
  • Small servers who have great ideas, but struggle to build an audience.

The issue is that for a small server to get people, it needs people. Of course, many large servers have “no dual clanning” rules, so people will just stick with them, even if there’s a server that’s well run. They effectively hold a monopoly on the FiveM community. Innovation gets suffocated, and nothing gets better.

It doesn’t help that most people who start new servers aren’t doing it because they have an original idea, or because they want to do something differently. They’re usually power hungry, wanting to do everything their own way, and it casts a bad shadow on any “new” servers.

The reason why I made my own server is to try something that no server currently does. Is it working? Somewhat - we’ve got steady server population growth, but it’s taken us 2 months to get to 30 registered members. Whereas many of the clones/staff bribery servers will get there in a few days.

Is this mostly a long winded rant about how frustrating running a server that tries to do things properly is? Definitely. Should you join my server? Well, no - it’s different, so it’s not going to be for everyone.

Oh, and cost definitely isn’t an issue in setting up a server. So far, my server has cost me just £3.60 a month, nothing more.

6 Likes

Well I have no arguments on your points. Creativity is lost in server creation. Where servers copied one community the new ones follow to the current wave is. Its sicking how this is happenings. I tried to find a solid server to apply to and ended up just goggling a damn server that I applied too.

I’m tried of these headaches and the lack of efforts in a community. Whats worse is when you hit a solid community and they submit to the “generic roleplay demands”. People whining when they get the time they deserve or get robbed with solid RP and feels like that is “powergaming” or “abuse of power” or some shit. They lack the skills to understand solid Roleplay.

I cannot begin to just have a headache at the shit servers being posted here and how touchy they are when you call it out. Yeah you have 32 players but that Roleplay i am sure is garbage and lacks any depth. Does your community build stories that are captivating? Make people want to be around you? These kinda things.

No pixel, Family, and DOJ are nt the only servers out there but how do we find those communities?

2 Likes

You, in particular, feel exactly the same way that I do, down to the four server types. I believe we are the fourth type. And it’s a shame.

With more people comes worse RP. I guess quality is just a limited resource within this community, no matter how we feel about it.

Though, because our server is small, the people we have care, and we can have in-depth RP more often, rather than being admins that are essentially babysitters.

It’s always going to be tough to find good servers. You’re going to have to dig through a lot of crap to find a diamond in the rough. Shoot small, it’s the only way that you’ll find yourself having RP that matters to you and is memorable.

There’s definitely something to be said for small communities that, what they lack in quantity, they make up for in quality. It’s still a shame that originality is punished, and “going with what works” is rewarded, even if it’s a terrible ripoff of something well known.

I co-owned a community exactly like you’re talking about. I swear, all the owner cared about was copying DOJ. And we managed to rack up 300 players in the discord. But maybe only 50 weren’t dead accounts.

I feel your same way. Most players just like to have shoot outs and police chases. And the one that drives around. I was astatic to find some one on my server I play on ( ADPS ) and we just went offroading in some jeeps. We went to the local gun shop. And purchased some Chiliad off-road passes and took them up the hill. The fish and game was active so it was even better. They stopped us and we didn’t run,shoot him, or act like an overall dick to him. After the hole ordeal was over we got in our jeeps and continued up the hill. Till one of us got a flat and rolled down the hill. That got EMS and search and rescue to have an rp. Overall I love rp that get the whole emergency services involved and doesn’t involve shootouts.

Well I just stumbled on this conversation. I totally agree, there is a seemingly lack of variety. The only thing is that lots of small servers try to start something new and interesting, but end up getting pushed to the side by big servers. I have been trying to help grow a community since august of last year and we are only at 40 people in the discord. Hell most of them are not even active in here, so its more like 20ish that are actual active members. Its so frustrating as the directors and devs are really trying to take the server in a new and interesting direction but we cannot grow. Probably the most frustraiting are the people who join the discord and immediately leave. If all those people stayed, this server would have had hundreds of members. Some people who leave tell me they want a server with more members, but how are we going to get there if you are not one of the people to grow it? Sorry long rant but fivem can be really frustrating, especially with us little guys.

1 Like

Well. Been a while since this converstation has been continued. However, the fivem community is still huge, its become hard for non whitelisted servers. I run a non whitelisted server, we have a great group of people, its fairly large, we get some decent roleplay evrey here and there, however the issue is, all the people want to just do shootings and start prioritys. No one really passive roleplay’s anymore which is the issue we, and im sure many other servers run into. Its hard to be non whitelisted and open to the public without gettings modders, people who dont roleplay anything, people who just start shootings. But, I mean its public, so what do you expect, anyone and evreyone can join. However still, its hard to control it.

FiveM community is huge, however just for large servers getting out of hand with people on don’t really roleplay. Back from the first post of the YouTubers, I fully agree, however still, there are peoople out there who want to roleplay, just hard to find them when servers are public.