Fxmanifest globbing (audio files), what am I doing wrong?

So i read: Resource fanimest globbing , and it says that we can use globbing in data_file in our fxmanifest.

It doesn’t seem to work.

No Globbing seems to work just fine. The below sample did work.

data_file 'AUDIO_SYNTHDATA' 'f136/audioconfig/f136_amp.dat'
data_file 'AUDIO_GAMEDATA' 'f136/audioconfig/f136_game.dat'
data_file 'AUDIO_SOUNDDATA' 'f136/audioconfig/f136_sounds.dat'
data_file 'AUDIO_WAVEPACK' 'f136/sfx/dlc_f136'

But when I try globbing, it just doesn’t:

data_file "AUDIO_SYNTHDATA" "**/audioconfig/*_amp.dat"
data_file "AUDIO_GAMEDATA" "**/audioconfig/*_game.dat"
data_file "AUDIO_SOUNDDATA" "**/audioconfig/*_sounds.dat"
data_file "AUDIO_WAVEPACK" "**/sfx/**"

I even tried a very simple globbing that should work by scanning all folders for the full name files. This should work according to the doc. But it just doesn’t:

data_file 'AUDIO_SYNTHDATA' '**/audioconfig/f136_amp.dat'
data_file 'AUDIO_GAMEDATA' '**/audioconfig/f136_game.dat'
data_file 'AUDIO_SOUNDDATA' '**/audioconfig/f136_sounds.dat'
data_file 'AUDIO_WAVEPACK' '**/sfx/dlc_f136'

As you can see, i just replaced ‘f136’ with ‘**’ (directory wildcard) and it didn’t work.

What am I doing wrong? Or does Globbing simply NOT work in data_file contrary to the documentation ?

Thanks

I believe you would use just ‘**/*.dat’. I believe that globbing uses ** as a directory wildcard, getting actually any directory prior to the file name selected, and * is a filename wildcard. I do not believe you can use * within a file name like you attempted to do so replacing ‘f136’, since * will wildcard the ENTIRE file name, not sections of it.

Thanks but I don’t think you read it properly. Look at the last example. There’s no * in the filename. Only ** as a directory. and that didn’t work.

I read the topic issue fine as far as I am aware.

It seems you did not read my response properly as I said to use '**/*' not '**/someDirectoryThatWpuldHaveBeenCollectedByThe**WildCardBecauseThe**IsAnEntireDirectoryWildcard/*'

ok but if you look at my last sample, I did exactly that. I used ** for the directory replacing the f136 but the rest is as-is. So it should’ve picked it up. it should looked in all directories and found the match in f136/ etc…

Where the ** in the search pattern would match “f136” because everything else is a perfect match.

But that didn’t work

See that’s part of the problem because it works fine in the files { } section of the fxmanifest. I’ve used the same patterns there and it works. But in the data_file it doesn’t seem to work the same way.

This part works 100% :

files {
	"**/audioconfig/*.rel",
	"**/sfx/**/*.awc",
}

Oh and I can’t just use **/*.dat in the data_file. if you look closely there are 3 different types of files: SYNTHDATA, GAMEDATA and SOUNDDATA. Each refers to different types of .dat files. So you have to use wildcards with _amp.dat or _game.dat or _sounds.dat so they’re loaded into the proper file types.

You can not use directory globbing in the data_file entries.

damn… ok that’s where i went wrong.