"Error: Rockstar Games Launcher already running" closes FiveM after re-starting it

Environment questions

GTA V version: 1.0.2699.16
Up to date: yes
Legit or Pirate copy: legit
Purchased where: Steam
Windows version: 21H2 (19044.2251)
Did you try to delete content_index.xml and try again? yes
System specifications: laptop with Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.80GHz + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
CitizenFX crash zip file (‘Save information’ on a crash): none
logs/CitizenFX_log files: I have such a file from the last moment I had the error.
CitizenFX_log_2022-11-19T223554.log (11.9 KB)

Important parts

What is the issue you’re having?
Starting FiveM will sometimes lead, after a few minutes, to display an error message.
“Error: The Rockstar Games Launcher is already running”
Pressing “Ok” will immediately close this error and FiveM. Not pressing ok will keep the error window on my screen and prevents me from interacting with FiveM/GTA.

What are you trying to do?
Here are the steps taken in order to reproduce my problem:

1. Launch FiveM, chose a server, play for a few hours without issues…
  2. Close GTA V/FiveM.
  3. Launch FiveM again after just a few minutes or hours.
  4. Wait one to three minutes.
  5. Observe the error message that just appeared.

What have you tried already to fix the issue?
Restarting my laptop: Sometimes, restarting it twice in a row will fix it, but sometimes even 5 restarts do nothing.
Retry the day after: When I start my laptop for the first time of the day, it (almost?) always work without any issues.
Delete some GTA V files then verify the file integrity on Steam: Had the same issue right after doing that, useless (–> I followed some Steam forum instructions that worked for other people).
Delete any mention of Rockstar Games Launcher off my laptop: Still happens.
Uninstall and reinstall FiveM: Worked once immediately, then the second time it still happened. After a quick restart, the error finally left me alone for that time, though.
Kill the Rockstar Games Launcher through the task manager or commands: The launcher isn’t showing up anywhere, therefore I cannot try this method.
Run the Rockstar Games Launcher and GTA V as administrator: It does open the base GTA V normally, but that was never an issue. FiveM still shows the error right after.

Error screenshot:
Same error as this picture I found: https://forum.cfx.re/uploads/default/original/4X/3/c/5/3c5e9ddb745c92699e8f6d76262d850674c608cb.png

What did you do to get this issue?
Use FiveM, close it then try to start it again too soon (in less than 12 hours I’d say).

What server did you get this issue on?
This error happens after a few minutes, whether I stay on the FiveM main menu or start to load my favorite server (Alive RP). Note: the error always happens before the server can fully load, even if I speedrun through the FiveM menus (but my loading times are always pretty long anyway).

Additional information:
This error does not happen while launching normal GTA V through Steam or through the Rockstar Games Launcher.

Possible solution:
Waiting 5 to 10 minutes before starting FiveM again, seems to work every time for now.

Hello, this is a friendly reminder because this is your first time creating a topic (or it has been a while since your last topic) in this category.

Please note that most of the support is provided by the Cfx.re community on a voluntary basis. We ask you to be patient; there is no guarantee we have a solution to your problem(s). To avoid unnecessary/duplicate topics, please browse the forums before creating a topic.

To improve your chances of your issue(s) being solved, please provide as much information as possible about the issue(s) you are having. Also —whenever possible— please use the template given to you when creating a topic.

Thanks for keeping these forums tidy!
:mascot:

I recently got the same error can you tell me of you have fixed the error or is it still showing the error . I will be grateful if you could share with me the solutions for this problem.

1 Like

The error stopped since I made that post. It happened again today, and killing Steam with the task managers then restarting it fixed it for today. Don’t know if it helps, but good luck with that issue!

Another solution I found is start the rockstar launcher and Close it from the background apps

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.