Convar ui_blurPerfMode is not honored on launch and blur effect makes UI almost unresponsive on HiDPI displays

1. Client version

Build 3396

2. What you expected to happen

ui_blurPerfMode convar honored on launch.

3. What actually happens

It’s not.

4. Category of bug

Launcher UI.

5. Reproducible steps

(1) Set “ui_blurPerfMode” to “none” or “backdrop”.
    (2) Restart.
    (3) Looks like there is nothing triggering the convar change observer on launch.

See also ext/cfx-ui/src/app/app.component.ts#L232-L248

It appears that filter: blur is not GPU-accelerated in CEF. On any decent display resolution (i.e. HiDPI) the CPU load is so intensive that it’s pretty hard to disable the filter when UI is not responsive. At least that is the case on my 5K display with Intel Core i5-7500 CPU, which is not that old, so I doubt newer CPUs handle the blur effect any better.

Yes, I can vouch for this and it has been bothering me too for the past couple of months, actually since it has been implemented back in September. When starting FiveM, just because of that I previously toggled the ‘none’-blur option, it crashes 9 out of 10 times. Also it doesn’t get saved properly, so if you restart it’ll always be unchecked. This has been extremely annoying because the launcher crash happens so consistently, please fix Bubble. :frowning:

Actually it does, I have seta "ui_blurPerfMode" "none" in %APPDATA%\CitizenFX\fivem.cfg. The issue here seems to be that it’s not loaded properly.

You’re right, I just checked mine and it does seem that it gets saved, indeed. So yeah, clearly it’s not getting loaded properly.

The same happens with ui_streamerMode.

It seems to occur on most launches, but not all. I think this is a race condition where ui_blurPerfMode and ui_streamerMode aren’t loaded from fivem.cfg at the point when cfx-ui gets the convars here.

I’ve tried delaying this call by a few seconds on my local build, this does indeed seem to load them correctly, but I’m not sure that’s an actual solution :confused: