Continuous Crashing from NVIDIA drivers

Hi there,

I have been having some issues recently and I am not sure where to proceed. Game is crashing due with the error message “NVIDIA GPU drivers encountered an error”. This happens very frequently, usually in under 10 minutes, however a few times the game hasn’t even made it past the launcher.

It seems to only be affecting me, however I have tried

• Updating drivers
  • Resetting windows
  • Reinstalling the game
  • Verifying files
  • Swapping between canary and prod

This is occurring only recently and is affecting all builds. I know it does state you cannot help but I was hoping there might even be a direction you can point me in to troubleshoot. I have attached the crash zips in case they’re helpful and can provide anything else.

Crash on launch.zip (1.5 MB)
CfxCrashDump_2023_01_18_10_39_10.zip (1.9 MB)

Thanks in advance

Hi, just an update.

From some searching through the main CFX discord, it seems (maybe) the prevalence of these issues has increased over the last month.

When I looked through the git commit history, there was a few commits which seemed to occur around the same time as I started experiencing this issue (around Christmas)

tweak(client/game): run DisableNvCache off-thread · citizenfx/fivem@f876591 (github.com)

tweak(graphics/five): early-load D3D UMD · citizenfx/fivem@f2d7515 (github.com)

Just a wild guess, but since it was related to NVIDIA it could maybe be related?

Thanks

This still can’t reasonably be investigated without being able to reproduce this (to then blindly try random things, which may or may not include the commits you linked). The crash dump is useless since the stack is entirely on NVIDIA’s background processing thread, which without said debug information that NVIDIA refuses to provide can’t be analyzed whatsoever - there’s a reason the error message says what it does.

Sadly, NVIDIA is also still entirely uncooperative in this regard unless you’re a triple-A studio with an NVIDIA partner contract, even for actual driver bugs like the shader cache corruption race condition they introduced in mid-2021 and still haven’t fixed.

Thanks for the response. I figured as much but thought I would try anyway. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Hi, GTX 1650 shitty user here my drivers have been updated yesterday from last christmas on the 12th (It doesn’t let me know of new updates) and I am perfectly fine.

Hi,

As an update for this (I know you can’t do anything, I am just trying to collect information to figure anything out) I am continuing to experience this intermittently even after a new GPU.

I have noticed that the crash message is now more frequently moon-network-shade and doesn’t mention NVIDIA. This dump may be more useful?

Crash Message

[Window Title]
Error GTA5_b2372.exe!_?mulMatrix (0xcf)

[Main Instruction]
GTA5_b2372.exe!_?mulMatrix (0xcf)

[Content]
An error at GTA5_b2372.exe!_?mulMatrix (0xcf) caused FiveM to stop working. A crash report is being uploaded to the FiveM developers.

Legacy crash hash: moon-network-shade
Stack trace:
GTA5_b2372.exe!_?mulMatrix (0xcf)
GTA5_b2372.exe!rage::grcViewport::_setWindowUnk (0x3bf)
GTA5_b2372.exe!sub_14135E57C (0x50)
GTA5_b2372.exe!._ZN4rage11grcViewportC2Ev (0x124)
GTA5_b2372.exe!sub_14052B33C (0x163)
GTA5_b2372.exe!CBasicEntityPrototype::_refersToAlphaClip (0x35)
GTA5_b2372.exe!sub_14161E618 (0x9c)

[^] Hide details [Save information] [Close]

[Expanded Information]
Crash signature: GTA5_b2372.exe+2CB25F
Report ID: si-119d024a79ac4c8a8fc739ee427ced67
You can press Ctrl-C to copy this message and paste it elsewhere.

CfxCrashDump_2023_02_05_04_39_45.zip (1.9 MB)

Other things I have noticed are

• Sometimes I can play for hours with no issue, other times it is instantly crashing before
  • Sometimes it crashes without any error at all
  • Usually the game freezes for 400-500ms, comes back and then crashes a few seconds later

I am going to try a complete reinstall windows on a different hard drive and play around with other external factors. Additionally, I will try and find a pattern with other people affected and create a reproduction for it.

UPDATE: Cleared BIOS, reset windows from USB, still no luck. Seem to also now be having issues where the NUI frame crashes and reloads.

I’m currently having this issue. Seems to be the same as KnOpee.

I have tried older drivers, newer drivers, did a complete reset for Windows from Internet. Switched from a 3080Ti to a 4080. Ran on lower setttings. Tried everything that I can think of other than changing motherboard + cpu.

CfxCrashDump_2023_06_27_11_12_44.zip (1.7 MB)
CfxCrashDump_2023_06_27_12_15_18.zip (1.7 MB)

Any recommendations?

Did you manage to find a solution to this