Condensing resources into a pack. Does it really make a difference?

Those of you who run many resources on your server. Whats your opinion on this. We have a lot of resources, but some people say you should condense them into one resource.

For example you have a bunch of custom vehicles.
You condense them all into one folder and one resource meta and all of that so that you are telling your server.cfg to load one resource. Ok fine. On the front end it looks like the server is just loading one resource. But in reality, the game is opening up that resource anyways and loading every vehicle inside of it. Just the same as it would if it loaded them all separately anyways.

So the real question is - is this even saving you any performance at all when its still loading all of the same files in the backend. Is it a placebo effect. Where to the client it looks like 1 resource on the front end. Might this simply only save a couple ms during the server startup lol. Maybe during a client loadin. But nothing substantial?

Does it make a difference towards total resource count on the server?

Nothing substantial and it does lower resource count yet there is no need to lower it, its just practically a number for christ’s sake.

I see a lot of people say things like “dont go above 200” and I’m sitting here with 1400. Load in time is still 1-3 minutes average. However, I ask about a limit because it seems there is one on the client side around this mark. If I turn on another 3 resources even right now, suddenly nobody on the server can load in without CExtraContentWrapper error. Does not matter which 3 either. How weird. So I realize I’ve hit some limit on the client end around 1400 something. Today I condensed a few resources into packs instead turning about 40 resources into 2. But it took me hours! So I really dont think doing this for the entire server is warranted but wanted to see what people thought.

1.4k resources? i’m surprised people even bother joining your server…

for the vehicles it might help only the time it takes to load them maybe, since he doesn’t have to unpack 1000+ resources one by one but it’s like there is one mega folder, then honestly i never found any changes by condensing or not the cars

1 Like

Take no pixel bruh it takes centuries getting into them due to the players trying to join it’s like 2b2t Minecraft lol

1 Like

It only takes 1-3 mins to load in for most people

Hi there how are you, look there is a big talk about this topic and i have an answer for you according to some searches that i did.

its better that all of your resources will be in one folder, from mechanical reasons.
The performance can be good, if you know how to write your code good and organize everything properly.

Interesting fact: This method of work is good, even fivem developers think like that.

Hope i helped you, as i told you all the information is from some searches that i did.
Good day :grinning:

You can read some more info here if you want: Introduction to resources - Cfx.re Docs

its a bit difficult to merge resources now with scripts having paid scripts have the fxap file making it not possible to merge them

In my experience in fivem…

Compiling scripts is not really necessary.

We compiled Assets like maps and vehicle etc…

But scripts like lua

Its the same as long as you optimized the lines , functions and specially the Loops.

Go ahead compiled your 200 script to eg. 10 resources or 1 resource

if you want to look COOL.

But In lua scheduler its the same.

All your threads are handles in the same manner
Even if its 1 big compiled resources or its 100 resources.

You only gain is lose the ability to restart the script in game for minor edits.

I tend to agree

You’re correct here. It really doesn’t matter how many resources you have as long as they are optimized. I’ve got about 350 and the only thing I genuinely care about is the order in which they start. Sort through them based on what they are and the dependencies they require, from there keep all your smaller stuff starting first including qb-core, ESX, or any other framework - and your streamed stuff starting last, (i.e) MLO’s and vehicles. This is really the only thing I’ve noticed that truely makes a difference in my opinion. Everybody has their own method to the madness.