Client Addon Packages: the future

Because there’s no way to filter files due to the way they get loaded up to now.

That’s something I feel the authors of such modifications would consider a good thing. Perhaps they’d be turning things more like the old NVR addons did, allowing people to pick certain options to enable.

3 Likes

i mean the visualsettings ini exists for a reason :thinking: to have the possibility to make your very own graphics based on a graphic mod

2 Likes

Absolutely Agree.

1 Like

Yes, to allow R*'s artists to more easily tune the game’s graphics configuration without having to have to bug a programmer.

That’s not the reason you’re claiming, however.

3 Likes

Would I be correct to say that this method provides full compatibility of modifications such as Audio and Textures?

It seems this way due to the RPF structure being almost identical to gtav’s DLC modification method.

2 Likes

Currently only overriding common.rpf and x64*.rpf files are supposed, and a limited amount of DLC entries.

>16MB files should work by virtue of being near-standard RPF7 but weren’t tested.

Audio (other than DLC_WAVEPACK, etc.) and _manifest will probably get supported at a later time.

2 Likes

Alright, are you able to disclose the DLC entries that are going to be supported?

1 Like

Everything-ish that works with data_file, probably. Some will not be allowed though since it’d cause network incompatibility.

You’ll mainly want to stick to RPF_FILE-based overrides.

3 Likes

That works out perfectly. I will be looking forward to this method for sure!

1 Like

Okay, rewriting this because I’ve just realised how insane this is.
It’s both too far, and not far enough - a step in the wrong direction.

First, not signing plugins/scripts? I’d be fine with that, if it meant no more troll menus where people spawn thousands of UFOs on you and ruin roleplay. Honestly, not an issue.

What is an issue is requiring people to sign off on visual modifications. I mean, why?
Stuff like the map zoom metadata fix would have to be signed. Visual mods that only affect the client would need to be signed. That’s just ridiculous.

Some people like to tweak their VisualV to suit them, or to make vehicles look better on a certain server. Blocking this for no reason is just ridiculous.

Lastly, a question: Is it at all possible for server owners to disable this entire nightmare? Have it be enabled by default, but let server owners turn it off at their own risk, even for public servers? This is definitely something that I’d like to see, because otherwise that’s just rude.

3 Likes

Remember that this isn’t affecting the “Plugins” folder. Just modifications that modify the common and platform folders within the citizen folder.

1 Like

so your telling me you guys are doing this because some people have bad PC’s that crash when using a graphics mod like radiance that causes other people to crash??? I dont think this is good for the future of FiveM considering that FiveM always breaks server’s every new update they release…

2 Likes

Its not that people would add random metas that control other thing like changing ped damage or changing how the ai is controlled and then it would cause a crash and desync for other due to them having different files

1 Like

Will this affect server sided visual settings being streamed to clients?

1 Like

This will only affect client sided mods like visuals textures etc, if you stream it from the server that will overite client files

2 Likes

Fix? FIX? Disabling zooming isn’t anything close to a fix.

2 Likes

Thing is that some people drop in files that don’t only affect the local client. Thing is that some people drop in files and don’t even realize they’ve dropped in any files, and that lead to issues for themselves, and worse, others.

It’s not ‘for no reason’. And, again, the author of ‘VisualV’, or of any other approved modification, can easily just sign a customization package with a few popular options, and same for a server owner who wants to distribute some mods for their players.

That, and you can just run in ‘development mode’ on a local server to test your changes until submitting them for review and signing. We really won’t be super strict on this, it’s solely for auditability and the ability to block misbehaving modification packages.

No, since these files load before you even get a pick to load a server, they have to be allowed/disallowed globally.

What? ‘Bad PCs’ don’t ‘crash’ from graphics mods, and even if they would, other systems wouldn’t crash from that either.

The issue is, rather, that some graphics mods include files that don’t have any relation to graphics edits that cause issues when replicated across the network, as @GanjaMonster said below your post.

Nope.

5 Likes

No, since these files load before you even get a pick to load a server, they have to be allowed/disallowed globally.

Seems like there may be an opportunity for the FiveM development team to change that - make the server browser into a “launcher” application. Then, game files could be loaded in only when you click on a server, which opens up the actual FiveM framework. Like how Minecraft has a separate launcher application that lets you set profiles and such before joining. Could allow for blocking certain client-side scripts, allow overriding of vehicles.meta files, possibly other things. Would require some reworking of how the launcher and server browser works, but it’s possible.

As for everything else, I do understand your point. Hopefully the automated signing system can easily differentiate stuff that affects multiple clients versus stuff that affects one client.

1 Like

Not going to happen. That’d also not really work well with the ‘Disconnect’ option to join another server.

2 Likes

I mean, disconnect could always close the game and reopen the launcher. Launcher could also automatically send crash reports/metrics (since it wouldn’t crash with the game), and it could reopen the launcher if the game crashes. It could have an option for launching FiveM Singleplayer. Maybe I’m biased because it’s my idea, but I think there’s potential there for something really useful and cool for players and server owners alike.
Since you said it’s not gonna happen, I won’t say any more about it.

1 Like