Can we finally get rid of the FiveM watermark?

Considering CFX/FiveM are owned by Rockstar now (as far as I understood the watermark was there to differentiate) can we please get rid of the annoying corner watermark?

All four corners of player screens are occupied by the watermark, while minor it actually ends up making a large portion of the screen unusable.

1 Like

Yeah, they’ll probably keep it to there patreon still

We can only change the emoji there, The watermark is just really annoying, I don’t know what the explanation for having it is.

Are you sure of that?

1. It only shows on the right side as of a while ago. (tweak(font-renderer): clean-up watermark code/fix top-left ¡ citizenfx/fivem@6d6dad5 ¡ GitHub from May 2022)

2. ‘All four corners are occupied’ would look a bit like Windows in Safe Mode:

I’m fairly sure the watermark does not look like that.

3. Screen corners aren’t necessarily safe to use, see stuff like safe areas or other overlays like Steam’s FPS counter or such.

All four corners are occupied because as far as I know it occasionally shows up in different corners. Unless this was changed and I never consciously registered it only on the right two corners.

Image for example, of it appearing in the top right, I know it appears in the bottom right as well.

That being said, why does it need to be there at all? What is the reason for having corners with text that could interfere visually with UI elements?

Screen corners aren’t necessarily safe to use, see stuff like safe areas or other overlays like Steam’s FPS counter or such.

An FPS counter has the option of being moved/turned off. This watermark does not.

Again, what function does this watermark serve? If it is for differentiating FiveM from GTA 5 Online/Rockstar’s product, that is no longer an issue.

It’s not just a watermark, it contains the game build number and the used update channel. It also indicates whether OneSync is enabled or not (imo, it should be tweaked a bit, as the meta has changed, and the majority of servers are now using OneSync). All of this is helping us, developers, to scope out potential issues without contacting anyone and asking for logs or additional info in the initial step of analysis.

In that case, wouldn’t it just be better to use a single emoji (representing each build) or a shorter version number?

I’ve been on FiveM for close to three years now and have never had any developer ask me for what the version/build number is in the top right, or heard of any players being asked to report them.

This isn’t a major catastrophic world-ending thing, but even with this explanation it seems like just having:

3905*

with * being one sync or not would be enough.

I’ve seen many games, especially in the Indie genre make use of such systems. So if a user reports an issue using screenshots or video capture, the developers can immediately see on which version the problem occurs.
But most games either feature an option to turn this off completely or there are mods out there to do so. And if it’s turned off, devs can still ask them to enable it to help them.

Since I don’t really play a lot and only develop I also don’t really see it and I really don’t care that much. But as a player I personally hate “overloaded” HUDs. Everything that can be disabled, should be disabled (with the ability to customize to your own liking).

This is something I personally do not agree with.
The original idea behind safe areas was to keep certain elements (like the HUD) off the corners because “back in the old days” CRT monitors used to be slightly curved at the edges which prevented the corners from being used properly. Developers introduced the safe zone feature so people can tweak those elements to be fully visible.
This however has not been the case for like 10-15 years or only for an absolute miniscule percentage of players.
I’ve been using a safe zone of 0 (everything right at the edges) since forever which means that the watermark is exactly where it shouldn’t be if I wanted to use the right side corners (which I usually don’t, as I prefer important elements on the left anyways).

And yes, I do understand that this can be used for (ultra) widescreen monitors as well, but then it would need two settings, horizontal and vertical safe zone, which don’t exist in 99% of games that make use of safe zones. And especially since GTA already “centers” HUD elements on ultra widescreens, this isn’t even properly necessary.

Also, one question: How often do you actually use it to debug?

And after proor reading I just realized that this sounds more like a rant at this point. It’s not meant as such :sweat_smile:

Tl’dr: Please give us an option to turn it off.

1 Like

Having some sort of build identifier (sometimes even combined with a unique player/match identifier) isn’t that rare in MP titles (see CoD for example). However, in most titles, I saw this kind of thing implemented, the placing and displaying of such thing was way more subtle than it currently is in FiveM/RedM. Maybe an option would be to include the current client- and game-build identifier, but without the colorful emoji and way smaller/more subtle with a fixed position in the bottom-left or right.

For example:
7310/3095 (maybe even adding the current server build)

I believe the emoji was meant to be transparent too, but the way color emoji were layered in DirectWrite made this a little difficult.