Asset Escrow. Good Idea but I hate it

Hey :P,
before now all the hate comes upon me read all of the following Text:

Yes, the Asset Escrow System is a nice idea, and it helps all Developers to get they money (which they deserve to 100%)

But if we look now in the old days nearly every (yes only nearly I know) resources was open source, with that I could learn a lot about Lua. It helped me a lot to come to the point where I am now. Also, I could easily change certain events that I didn’t like or fix scripts that I bought on my own.

And now? You can’t buy a Script anymore and learn with it how certain Stuff works. You can’t change certain events, and you can’t fix the scripts on yourself. You are completely dependent on the programmers, and I hate it.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good system for the devs to stop getting their resources leaked. But for guys like me that like to change stuffs in resources or want to learn new skills with the resources its just not that nice….

If you find any spelling or grammatical errors i’m sorry about that. English is not my first or second language. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In the end it’s still the resource author who decides if they want to share their code, there are resource authors who do and also some have parts open so it can be fixed or events changed.

The escrow system exists because some want to protect their code which is also understandable since leaking is a big issue, and rather than resource authors all using their own shady methods for this instead the Escrow system is part of the platform.

6 Likes

Yes, the Asset Escrow System is a nice idea

As a developer , i love escrow system
As a user , i kinda hate it

You as a user, bought it , so you own it !
But on the other hand , Developer also worked on it a long time and don’t want it to get leaked or anything like that !

there should be a balance , so developers can escrow a small part of their script to protect it from getting leaked
and also having most of it open to edit

i had this idea when it was introduced too, and i do this currently , with only encrypting a very small part of the script that don’t even need or can be edited anyway
i hope more devs do this tho

1 Like

Dont forget the fact there is a high chance your game crashes if you try to open rockstar editor clip full of escrow encrypted key locked stuff

You are completely dependent on the programmers, and I hate it.

Well, if you’re completely dependable, than there’s nothing anyone can do. You can always learn how to do it yourself and become self sufficient. Which leads me to another point.

You can’t buy a Script anymore and learn with it how certain Stuff works.

I think literally none of those scripts that have been released as open source, till Escrow arrived, were taken down. You can still use them, learn on them as anyone else does. As I do.

In general, I understand your frustration. And you do understand ours (developers using Escrow). Encryption enables in certain cases some really complex scripts and mods to see the daylight. I’m not here to brag as I’m still very much learning everything, but if there wouldn’t be for Escrow, I wouldn’t even bother start working on maps that take so much time and effort to create. I would simply focus on completely something else instead. Escrow guarantees to people like me that I’ll be able to do this full time and deliver something extra. Or at least trying to.

Dont forget the fact there is a high chance your game crashes if you try to open rockstar editor clip full of escrow encrypted key locked stuff

I’m not entirely sure about that, as Escrow is fully supported and taken into consideration. Unless you’re getting errors specifically tied to Escrow encryption itself, there’s always sea of other problems that come with half baked mods and resources like Bob74 IPL loader. That’s at least my experience.

As in general, you shouldn’t be keen to add anything into your server just because it looks cool.

Literally no. If i am buying a Script that dosn’t work with my framework or has some erros its ain’t hard to fix it. But if its encrypted how should i fix it in? I cant access or edit the code.

Of course they would be released with out any encryption. Only some small percent of the scripts were encrypted before the ascrow system arrived.

Ok lets talk about maps. I like a map that i saw. There wan’t much buyer yet. How should i check if it will works without any problems on my server without buying it and testing it then? Lets say i wait till more people buy the map. But what now if everyone is thinking the same way. So the Dev/Mapper has quite a nice map but nobody wants to buy it anymore. So you need to buy it and not quite sure why i should buy a map with any other reason excpet that its looking cool. Why should i buy a map that is looking like shit?

Paid resource ecosystem isn’t targeted at you or anybody who wants to actually code, and most of it tends to be hot garbage, maybe with an above-average UI.

Monetisation exists because people will do it anyway.
Asset protection / encryption exists because people will obfuscate anyway, which often leads to resources with backdoors and other malicious code.

1 Like

Don’t buy encrypted scripts then. I don’t buy them for the same reason either. These scripts are made for people that are in need of ready to deploy solution or are unable to make them themselves. They’re not made for You. If they’re selling it as open source, that’s a different story. But it’s simply supply and demand. You’re simply not the target group. Move to another seller, there are still some that are selling open source scripts. Or even releasing them for free.

How should i check

Simply wait for a review or the ability to try it for yourself on the test server. It’s the same logic with buying anything else. Wait till you’re convinced it’s worth the buy. Otherwise don’t buy it. Or buy it only when you’re ready to accept possible complications (eg. if some player really wants it, tell them they have to be ready to invest into something that isn’t tested and therefore there’s a chance it might be unusable. In the worst case scenario).

So you need to buy it

Lmao

You don’t have to do anything, my man. Not sure, if it worth the buy? Don’t buy it. Simple. Move to another seller that provides anything that reassures you about their product instead. It’s called free market. Competition is great for the customer. People were asking me for the test server for my maps. And they are using it from what I saw. Simply tell the seller how can they make their customers happy.

a map with any other reason excpet that its looking cool

I could tell you a few points what to look for, besides pretty looks

• LODs + not being visible across the whole map, if it’s something small
  • properly compressed and not overblown textures
  • mostly static collisions instead of embedded ones (causes issues for lower HW specs)
  • bug free and maybe some other things I can’t recall now

I don’t mean to come across as rude, I hope I shined a bit of light on your questions with my point of view.

In general, wait for a review, if no testing environment is available.