An open letter

FWIW, I would never have fired anyone, and you folks knew this. (can I play this “you knew this” card for once? though in this case it’s something that was explicitly said, not something that was never said and then re-asking wouldn’t ever lead to a confirmation) Evidently, that was a mistake, almost.

Alternate interpretation: ‘we indeed made an anti-nta crowd and hung out separately even despite them existing, pretending things were fine as long as needed’. This was very apparent as of 2022, even though I was told no such shadow group existed numerous times.

That dishonesty from this group is exactly what led to a lot of escalations and a lot of this behavior that you described as negative - the ‘being shoved’ thing for example has its underlying context in this specific exclusion and outright lying.

Even if the intent wasn’t to form a group ‘against’ me to ‘push me out’ willingly, that part very much can’t be discounted.

As said, most of this group had always only mentioned inappropriate or undesired behavior to basically everyone else, but never to the people accused of such inappropriate behavior - for example, indeed, I’ve at times had Xin randomly vent about other mutual contacts where when asking to confirm way later, these people were never told about the behavior Xin felt was worth venting about.

This same behavior extends to other members of this group, including purposefully aiming to get me pushed out whenever the Rockstar deal went through, and talking about this to other team members.

8 Likes

It appears there’s a misunderstanding. I believe these discussions are best held in private to maintain clarity and respect for all community members. Let you and your team focus on finding common ground and constructively resolving any issues, rather than airing dissatisfaction publicly. This is not a tabloid magazine. Everyone understands that in this discussion, there are no sides of good and evil; everyone is wrong about something. However, I would appreciate hearing your answer to the main question: what will you do in this situation? If you’re not planning to address this question in this thread, please close it.

1 Like

Agreed. As said, the story itself is long, complex, has many twists and turns, and even though it’d make great material for a budget Netflix slow, it’s not in any way related to the future or the direction of the project, beyond the fact that it being unprocessed and unsolved does make it harder for people to actually work on the project.

What’s needed is for everyone to actually talk things through and see if there’s a way to carry on without inducing everyone’s fear of everyone.

9 Likes

Strangely the “core” team has had the least involvement in the development, management, and direction of the project over the last ~3 years from the communities perspective. The people doing work without using element names seem to do the bulk of the visible work. Most people couldn’t tell you who is a part of public relations or that such a thing even exists.

nta’s displeasure with these people over the last few years is hardly a secret, with a lot of angry comments made in off-topic or on matrix, and destructive behaviour like the server takedowns. The question has pretty much always been “why are they even still here?”.

This is all stuff that has been building over a long period and should have been handled maturely, rather than smiling while pretending everything is okay and then pushing for an acquisition which was always going to sour things.

Honestly I just hope R* sees this mess and gets rid of whoever they need to, asap. We couldn’t even get answers to the actual proposed questions.

8 Likes

Because it was profitable for them, I think it’s simple. A typical Karpman triangle case.

Speaking about making this drama public, I do see some risks in getting too much attention from hype-seeking Twitter “leakers/news/etc”… Please don’t use this to damage Rockstar’s reputation. They’re nice people, they aren’t doing anything wrong, the whole drama isn’t their fault, and they’re doing a lot to make it better. Things are already getting slightly better, it just takes time. The core of this problem was here for years. Right now under this topic, we’re actually being transparent and honest, as we did before, hearing each other’s opinions, getting different points of view, and it’s not “too heated” in my opinion. I find such conversations with the community really productive. But let’s just keep it cool. Things are going to be better, I believe.

24 Likes

That’s all I’ve been asking for. Transparency.

10 Likes

Thanks for the answer

Yeah, you right. The people over at Cfx.re only kept working on FiveM because it was profitable, not because it was a hobby or they enjoyed doing it or anything like that.

The issue here is not just about benefits; the fact is that people were ready to endure it, receiving their preferences, and were happy with everything. And now suddenly it’s no longer considered acceptable. This is a rather peculiar situation, don’t you think? As a community member, I now see that FiveM has serious problems that no one is addressing, and I sincerely hope that the situation will somehow change. Trying to find scapegoats in this situation is not particularly rational, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Looking back, this reminds me of the FiveM war back in 2018 - 19.
Back then, we had these two groups – the ESX folks and the die-hard FiveM enthusiasts. It felt like they were in a constant squabble, almost like a never-ending war. Fast forward to today, and it’s grown into this massive, intricate landscape. It’s not just a revolution; it’s more like a full-blown world war now. Quite the journey, huh?

Now, here’s the fun part. I started coding in early 2018 when i was 26 years old, @nta and I had our moments. He kicked me out a few times, always tagging me as “the Italian guy” (which, by the way, i am). But, here’s the twist – despite the clashes, he was always quick to give a nod to my work on Scaleforms and my coding skills.

I’ve dabbled in C#, Lua, TypeScript, MySql, and Flash, i have a real job as a programmer and i have signed a NDA with big FiveM group as part of one of the greatest teams and servers in FiveM history. With those in my toolbox, I managed to whip up ScaleformUI and FXEvents. Guess what? They’ve become two of the most downloaded libraries in the vast world of FiveM, racking up a whopping 9000+ downloads, and that’s just on the C# NuGet page. Lua? Well, that remains a mystery.

And here’s the heartfelt part. None of this would’ve happened without @nta. His constant pep talks and encouragement shaped my journey. Professionally, he wasn’t just a guy in the virtual space; he was a mentor who nudged me in the right direction multiple times. So, big shoutout to you, @nta! Thanks for being a pivotal part of this crazy, coding adventure of mine.

i wish you to find the happiness you deserve!

Here’s a Deterministic Bubble for ya’ll

21 Likes

From a place of deeper understanding than I’d like to admit, I’m changing my tune, throwing my full support behind disquse, nta, and tenpenny - a feat I would be incapable of without the incredibly high level of transparency they’ve offered into an otherwise closed-door… ordeal.

My only regret is that I am not in a position to better contribute to their plight.

If nothing else, I’m rooting for you; even if I’m just one lowly rando on an internet forum spewing words on a shirt!

2 Likes

I owe almost everything I know about C/C++ and reverse engineering to this project and @nta specifically. This project, the work and hobby I have and the support of our patient community, helped me to go through the worst time in my whole life.
Check out my very first FiveM contribution that involved reverse engineering work: Implement new ped customization getters by Disquse · Pull Request #185 · citizenfx/fivem · GitHub
It was so terrible yet I was so proud of the fact that I managed to implement something I wanted without overloading @nta with additional work back then, he was very busy with OneSync back then, you all remember the 24-32 slots times, right? :slight_smile:
When I started to manage my own server in 2017 I wouldn’t ever expect this to became such a great adventure, I never met so much great people both from my country and from the whole world. Language barrier is still a thing but almost everything I know about English is because of this project (I was very lazy to learn it back in the days, regretting it a lot nowadays, heh), do whatever you want but don’t read my old Discord messages :upside_down_face:
By the way, I joined the team as a contractor in late 2020. When I started to help FiveM with my contributions in 2017, it wasn’t a profitable project at all, and I never considered this as a “future job” or anything. Nobody knew how popular FiveM would become. A 10k player peak was something completely crazy back then!

17 Likes

So, rewind to my initial foray into the coding world – my debut project contribution was to the “official” NativeUI fork, building upon guad’s groundwork. I meticulously ported it to perfection, fine-tuning every detail. However, at some point, I decided to hit pause on that journey to dive into the fascinating realm of ScaleformUI. The challenge drew me in, even though I initially perceived it as a tough nut to crack in terms of performance.

Fast forward, and voilà – ScaleformUI was born. It became my coding playground, a space where I could experiment and bring my ideas to life. A pivotal moment during this phase was when @nta handed me the keys to the NativeUI GitHub. No more endless pull requests; I had direct access to commit my changes.

Enter FXEvents. It came to life as a response to the widespread use of Newtonsoft in C#, with developers often expressing their grievances. My lightbulb moment was, “Why not explore binary serialization?” It dawned on me that FiveM internally utilized msgpack. Connecting the dots, I realized I could leverage the same methodology employed by the client/server APIs. And just like that, FXEvents emerged as the fastest event serialization on FiveM for C#—a proud achievement that came to define my coding journey.
Even @Thorium, in his mono_v2 (unfinished) rework, found inspiration in FXEvents. It’s always humbling to see your work influencing others.

As if that wasn’t enough, in the latest updates, I even threw in Sha-256 encryption for events and serialized data. Because, why not? It’s all about pushing the boundaries and making the coding experience richer and more secure! :blush:
(thanks AI for helping me write in good english- duh)

4 Likes

how to get things in the right direction again:

1. give nta github rights again
  2. accept the usual paint.exe or f*ck nVidia troll from time to time
  3. no more partnering with ZAP hosting.
  4. remove upvote system (flawed from the core)

10 Likes

:nerd_face::point_up:security through obscurity isn’t secure at all but okay >_<

i mean… my main concern is to make event data not easy to be easily read and/or changed by malicious users… and encrypting the event in its entirety helped me in the process :thinking:

1 Like

Here are also some improvement ideas from my side:

• Fix your shit communication with Tebex and solve them problems (They don’t get any response from you).
  • Invest some of that cash in hiring developers and increase activity on GitHub.
  • Implement JS and C# support for escrow, as you announced it three years ago (Very soon :joy:)
    (Introducing Asset Escrow for your resources):
  • And last but not least, as Dewen mentioned before, give NTA his GitHub rights back.

Shoutout to Neon that closes an open letter.

5 Likes

Locked to review

Hello everyone,

This thread has been locked following discussions diverting too far from the topic’s original intent, as per our guidelines.

We do, however, want to let the community know that we are aware of the issues raised in the original post and other similar posts on the topic, and are working to address your concerns in future communications.

The Cfx.re / Rockstar Games team

6 Likes