A call to windows api took too long

I was averaging about 160 FPS about two days ago. Then I logged on, had the message in the lower right hand screen and have only like 20 fps. “A call to windows api took too long recently and caused a stutter”

You’ve got something running in the background hogging resources most likely. Check your Task Manager and, if you recently updated or changed anything that may cause this, revert those changes.

There is nothing significant running in the background. I did not update anything, maybe something automatically did. Is there anyway for me to check?

Not particularly; what CPU model are you using?

ASUS ROG Strix G15 G512

Limit your fps to below 100 and see if that fixes any issues (e.g. vsync).

For whatever reason when I get ~120+ fps I get constant stuttering and micro lags even though e.g. the steam fps counter still shows like 140 fps. Limiting fps to 60 completely removes any visible stuttering for me. This does also happen in GTA itself, so I don’t count it as a FiveM issue.

System specs:

• Ryzen 7 5800x (8/16 cores @ 3.8-4.5GHz)
  • Zotac GTX 1080 Amp Extreme (8GB)
  • 32 GB (@ 3600MHz)
  • GTA and FiveM on SSD
  • Running at 1920x1080 (though I can run it at 4k 60fps without lag since it’s below that “magic 120fps”)
  • Windows 10 Pro 22H2
1 Like

Check this out Call to windows API causing FPS issues · Issue #1082 · citizenfx/fivem · GitHub could help you solve your issue.

1 Like

I have looked over that, and didn’t really see them come to a solution?

Hmm it does link to a Windows update post that is about Windows 11. I am still using Windows 10… Which one are you using @Gsteezy32 ?

11 but haven’t had a problem the last month. Would redownloading be stupid? HahA

I reinstalled the game and fivem. the issue went away for a week. Now its happening again. Redownloading did not work this time

Had this happen to me but i didn’t reinstall, go to where u have Fivem installed then go to FiveM Application Data folder then Data folder and delete the cache, server-cache, and server-cache-priv. this seams to have worked for me

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.