This week in FiveM: August 29th, 2018

Very pleased to read about all the progress being made. These weekly updates are a great addition :+1: Thanks for all your hard work.

By the way…I do not want to start a policy discussion or criticism here, but I would like to ask the question, why do GVMP and ■■■■■■ have so many slots and FiveM only 32. Do these systems have a different system?

And before I forget, I thank you not only for the hard work you do, but also for the time you invest and the information you give us!

THX!

Because they implement their own netcode/syncronization code. Unlike FiveM that uses the native syncronization that is built into GTA 5.

Why they went his approach is an unknown with me, but I can see writting an own syncronization network could be cumbersome, big effiort to build and maintain.

1 Like

Oh many thanks for the very fast response. Thank you very much!

did you guys add like a parking break into this update? Because my server is having the issue to where a parking break auto turns on at random times in a vehicle. When its on you can only “rev” the engine now move.

That’s only a half-truth, and a common misconception. OneSync is still based on the game’s own networking system, however rewriting and expanding intermediate layers in order to have more flexibility including (initially) up to 256 player slots. There’s nothing inherent about ‘writing custom netcode’ that leads to it being able to ‘have more slots’ and an expanded version of the original networking system to not have such.

Writing entirely custom networking code, while bringing ‘lots of slots’ early, is unnecessary effort when the game itself already has a set of entity serializers/deserializers and other provisions that can be used with enough programming ability, and that will inevitably provide higher-fidelity clone replication than ‘just’ blindly trying to monkey about with replication without understanding the game’s own functionality (i.e. ‘scripthook sync’, abusing natives and tasks to give the illusion of replicated state, as is really common among the other modifications in the V MP ecosystem).

That, and a ‘custom’ model ignoring the game’s own functionality is unlikely to allow proper functioning of AI across multiple clients.

The amount of ‘slots’ isn’t the only feature a network model has, nor is it the only feature a game modification platform has.

In addition, any statements of ‘FiveM is using GTAO code, which is illegal’ make no sense - firstly, GTA V is a single binary, and the networking code is tightly interwoven with the game codebase/engine, and similarly, using GTA V code itself (hooking, calling, etc.) would be just as ‘illegal’. Secondly, since nearly every game routine contains network-related code (we’ve noticed a prevalence of ~1-2% of game functions containing some network code, more if discounting engine code), even modifications that don’t use the game’s native networking functionality for whatever reasons - incompetence or others - still call into GTA/RAGE networking code, which is unrelated to GTAO, as GTAO is a set of scripts and assets on top of the base GTA V game code that happens to only execute in network mode.

32 Likes

That is a fat essay. But really explains alot for people

+1

3 Likes

I wish they would have 250slots or more then 32 max slots any way, as its sooo annoying having more then 1 server for your community…

Well thats how it is if you read the post

Yeah I know lol (20 characters shit limit!)

will OneSync drop support of scripthook? this would stop modders for some time

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

plot twist: onesync tests started in january and the source was publicly released the first of april, so yeah nice try, but no.

:joy::joy::joy: some people don’t get it lol

also, what? fivem isnt a business nor is it trying to “make money”… all the donations go to support the project…

1 Like

a GTAV mod framework compared to a random RPG??? wtf ?

maybe he thinks that fivem is only for rp, like many deceived people do.

7 Likes

Love the work, keep it up CFX team

If they had more slots the the original GTAV has it would cause the server and the clients game to break completely.

yep, same people who call fivem GTA:RP…

1 Like