Split YTD Files For Maps or : The nightmare of figuring out how to stream a split map YTD file!

Title says it all, I’m pretty adept at modding FiveM but I’m stumped out how to format or where to call the extra split YTD files I made.

The pack is pack of eleven maps and a few have a YTD that’s to big, so I split them in to smaller files to allow for the 16mb limit, I deleted the original single file and replaced them with the split files and changed the __resource.lua as well with no luck. Now I’m just figuring out where I need to put them in the ymaps-xml code or maybe I could even use a GTXD if someone could help me with that?

Here are what the split YTD files look like, here’s a part of the __resource.lua and this is ytyp file I thought I could try and place them in, but it’s a bit confusing if I can place more than one texture dictionary or not.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated! :smiley:

1 Like

I have figured this out and I will write a guide on how to do this and format out everything so that it can read multiple .YTD files once I sort out mine fully!

1 Like

how you do that?

1 Like

Did you figure this out?

Hey, so I did figure this out, it works most of the time but some faulty maps will still brake regardless I found.

First step is to check what YTD files are over 16mb, extract those using OpenIV as DDS format into a folder of your choice, using OpenIV you can create a new YTD file ( New > Texture Dictionary ) You’ll want to name them individually ( NurburgringGP0, NurburgringGP1, NurburgringGP2 ) Then move the extracted DDS files into you new YTD files, making sure you don’t hit 16mb (I usually leave it at no more than 15.5mb or lower to be safe and sure, as I’ve had problems before with files at 15.6mb / 15.9mb )
(I also make sure to keep files in order, if theres extras of one texture like, alphas or dirt maps ect , I try and keep them all together and not randomly split up as that can mess things up as well)
Move the new YTD into your stream folder, make sure that you overwrite or remove old YTD’s.

The next step to setting this up is to make a .gtxd file. In the main folder of the map resource make a file named data.
explorer_2020-10-08_02-41-59

Then in that make a text file named gtxd.meta in that you’ll want to setup a Parent/Child link, the thing to keep in mind is that you’re working backwards when writing this, you’ll get the idea after doing it a couple of times. The end result should look like this.
notepad++_2020-10-08_02-40-34

For the last step, when you’ve finished up, write this in your resource.lua.
notepad++_2020-10-08_02-43-52

I hope that works for you guys! If you’re having any problems let me know and I’ll try to help you!

P.S.

A little tip for maps, the best thing to do when you get a new map is to put it into Codewalker and Calculate the extenents, Caculate the flags (Only for ymaps that have just a 0 as a flag), and to go into Tools > Manifest Generator, and make a new manifest. This makes sure you’ve got a clean ready map for fivem.

3 Likes

UPDATE!

To anyone who may need help, if you message me I’ll try and get back to you with help now, but I’m not on the forum as much as I was. So if your having trouble with your maps all I can suggest is to be persistent and keep trying, I’m not a top level mapper by any means so I’m not 100% on this stuff.

I also want to point out that if your map is not working dispite all of your efforts, it may be that the map will just not work due to many different errors in the files or just generally it’s not compatible with fivem, which is unfortunate but at the moment there’s not much I can do as I’ve had the same problems as well.
If this changes and I learn anything more I’ll write a more up-to-date and consice guide with more info and code text boxes so that you can copy the test code to use as your base.

Apart from that I’m currently working on porting GTA4 custom map models into GTA5 with 3DS max, GIMS EVO, and Codewalker. Hopefully I’ll have the out before that out by the end of the year, but it’s tough :sweat_smile:

I couldn’t make this work and finally figured out what was the problem so here is a tiny update from my experience using this on my fivem server.
You must name your YTD files as test, test_2, test_3, test_4…(it didnt work for me other way). Hope this helps someone.
Other that that its a rly nice guide, probably the only one I found so thank you for it!

Hi, great tutorial, worked for me at first try for all my maps. I’ve got a question related with this:

If you could make a tutorial on how to do this I would appreciate it much. I am suffering flickering exteriors inside of some MLO and I think they are related with portal flags.

1 Like

do i have to edit the ytyp and is the .gtxd a .meta file