[Release] Blind mode - Play the game as a visually impaired character

Inb4 'Why the hell would you wanna play like this?'

Basically, I had a side character a while back on a roleplay server that people on my server enjoyed me playing and they got attached to her; She was a visually impaired character, but I the player could see everything on my screen so it was sometimes difficult to block out that information that I was seeing but she couldn’t.

On my new server I was in a chat with some of my members and I came up with the idea of actually impairing my visibility so I could play a character like that with a little more ease; so this is what I came up with. It’s a very simple little script; anyone could really make it, but it might inspire some people. It challenges navigation skills and you’ll find yourself listening to your surroundings more.

Visual impairment is a scale, not all visually impaired people see everything as completely blacked out. But if that is the experience you want just switch out the timecycle modifier for a blacked out modifier. A lot of the times visually impaired people can make out contrast differences which is why I chose this modifier in particular.

Use:
Drop resource into your resources directory
Add ‘start brp_blind’ to your server.cfg
Restart server

Commands:
/blindmodeon
/blindmodeoff

self explanatory, really. Note that ‘blindmodeoff’ can clear all timecycle modifiers from the player, including drunk/high modifiers you may have running. The script can (and likely will) be edited in future with a check to see if blind mode was toggled on before allowing it to be toggled off.

File:
brp_blind.zip (1.8 KB)
Currently it is setup as an ESX resource but it’d be a quick fix to change that; I just tossed this together based on another script I’d written so I didn’t edit out the ESX bits yet.

9 Likes

This is definitely something else not gonna lie, but not sure if it will be used tho.

2 Likes

Maybe not! But it could inspired some :blush:

1 Like

I guess so but probably for a different reason.

I do not think so :heart:

amazing your server sounds awesome!
great job once again!!!

2 Likes

i think this is a good idea … you can make some good roleplay using this @Shelby_Moon thank you for you time in this im defo going to be using it

IF I can just find that download button :smile:

10/10 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Been a while since I saw such an original release on here :slight_smile:
Interesting idea

Amazing concept @Shelby_Moon
I definitely see myself utilizing this in the future.

10/10 for originality and being an amazing and interesting concept.

Since it’s just a time cycle modifier why not just make it a command and put it in a thread? Then it can go into any script. You can also make it a toggle by just adding a true and false in the event it’s already true.

local isBlind = false

RegisterCommand("blind", function()
	if isBlind == false then
		print("blind")
		isBlind = true
	elseif isBlind == true then
		print("not blind")
		isBlind = false
		ClearTimecycleModifier()
	end
end, false)

Citizen.CreateThread(function()

while true do

Citizen.Wait(10)

if isBlind == true then

SetTimecycleModifier("prologue_ending_fog")
        end

end

end)

SetTimecycleModifier(“Glasses_BlackOut”) works too since you know, you’re blind assuming you want that level of impairness.

• Too few lines, too simple
  • Unnecessary ESX requirement
  • Unused files
  • Just a command + trigger event for a Timecycle modifier