Paid Content in Releases

Personally, due to some recent comments on a certain thread; I think it would be wise to include a separate Sub-Section in the “Releases Section” specifically for paid content, with different/enhanced guidelines, better geared to its related content.

In terms of “additional guidelines”: Personally, I don’t think someone posting a thread and creating that content should be subject to someone criticizing pricing of said content publicly on a thread. Just don’t buy the addon.

(Mods if this isn’t the right place for it, please move it <3)

11 Likes

Agreed!

3 Likes

Hey,

I think you’ve raised a good point here in regards to a new aspect of resources for the forum. Paid releases are often much higher quality (not in all cases) and I am glad FiveM have made the decision to allow the sale of them through Tebex.

A separate resource category is a good idea, but if not possible there is a “Paid” tag which has been assigned to the resource you referenced above, allowing them to be grouped together.

In terms of other measures I believe a user should have to reach a certain level on the forum system before being able to sell paid resources or be manually verified by a moderation team. This would prevent any resources being sold that are potentially low quality or may undermine the price being charged.

That’s my view.

5 Likes

I don’t think the advertisement of paid resources should be allowed at all.
Isn’t that the opposite of what the project and community is for? Learning, sharing information and experiences?

I think the line from community forum to marketplace has been crossed at this point.

12 Likes

Not to be offensive, but I couldn’t disagree more. It’s not against the ToS anymore, so why shouldn’t it be allowed. No one says you need to buy it, just like you don’t need to view the ESX based scripts if you dislike ESX. I personally would rather a script be paid than kept a secret/not posted at all, I think that’s more against what “the project is for”.

Paid resources have been going on for years. Against ToS. CitizenFX (likely) realized, it’s going to happen, and they won’t be able to eliminate the problem. Instead, they did an incredibly smart move, not only for safeguarding users, but by also providing a proper pathway to “legally” do it. The options were: Keep it disallowed, have people do it anyway, worry about reports for paid resources, etc OR provide an option for people to sell scripts, as they are going to do it anyway, but on a platform that is reliable and trusted.

Reference: https://forum.cfx.re/t/announcing-tebex-partnership-server-monetization-commerce-2-0/

You’re not loosing the forums, and it’s a small subsection of the CFX forums, people are always going to make free content.

In regards to “Community Marketplace” - What’s wrong with that? Better on the FiveM official forums than Joe Smith’s website. When you see other games like Garry’s Mod, Minecraft, Arma III, whom all allow some form of paid content, the quality of the content goes up (typically). The quality of the work for something paid goes up. You have an obligation/reputation to uphold as a “seller”. I know plenty of people who would love to make good reliable scripts, but can’t due to actually needing to make an income and dedicate their time elsewhere. Could FiveM scripting be a job? Likely no, but it does mean, instead of needing a part-time job, you could sell a few scripts here and few scripts there.

TL;DR - No one is forcing paid content down your throat. It’s about having a little bit easier to find these resources. If you disagree with paid content, it already happens, and has been. You aren’t required to buy it.

2 Likes

You misunderstand. I’m not against people selling their work, and I’m well aware of the TOS…

My gripe is with allowing it to be advertised here, that’s it. Cfx have always been about sharing knowledge and being open source.

You can’t even post a free resource without sharing the source code, so why should people who are profiting from their work be allowed more rights than those who are willfully and voluntarily contributing to the project?

2 Likes

You realize people sell vehicles for money and most people in this community purchase them?.. Also, people who spend time on scripts, don’t deserve compensation?.. Don’t get me wrong, I’d be all down for open source and doing so, but it has no benefit to myself other than another project on GitHub. Had I actually gotten recognition for my works and gotten followers on GitHub, I would probably be a lot less salty.

The fact of the matter is, nobody on these forums actually supports the developers. I’m glad more paid content is being released and I hope the market is really saturated by them. There will be a lot less good servers as well as a lot less users abusing developers’ works for no credit or recognition…

4 Likes

I know people whose only job/business is exactly that.

1 Like

It should definitely be allowed. If it isn’t they are going to find other ways as they are currently doing it.

But there should be a different category to it. It should not be under “Releases”, as the name itself tells its being released, no its not its being sold.

If it goes under other category, it would stop people who are looking for free and open source stuff to complaint about it.

1 Like

This limits the amount of people who see it though as most will just look in the free section. Having them both in the same section is beneficial to the developers. There is no need at all for a separate category/section.

I can’t speak for anyone else, however, I love the paid resource functionality - I’m actually active on the forums now, and have a way to help boost my income and thus morale.

Because of the paid resource functionality, I have started rewriting my frameworks (which will always be free) so that I can create and support higher quality content while also feeling like I’m giving back to the community. This improves not only my server’s quality and health, but I’d like to think it will do the same for other servers who may use my resources. Plus, a paid resource isn’t necessarily a final version - updates to those resources (should) always be free! Then we circle back to motivation to learn and create better content.

The last 12 releases 50% of them is a paid resource. I’m not against developers being able to make money. Because of this, an open-source community becomes more and more close source. I can’t look into the source code of a paid project (without buying first).

Personally, I don’t think paid scripts should be highlighted and belong in a release category. This way to keep motivating developers to write free script/code as well. I expect that the percentage will increase over time and that almost only paid scripts will be released.

10 Likes

There can be a new category for those shits just like “Paid Resources”

3 Likes

The last 12 releases 50% of them is a paid resource. I’m not against developers being able to make money. Because of this, an open-source community becomes more and more close source. I can’t look into the source code of a paid project (without buying first).

I believe it’s just a case of devs trying paid releases, that’s why we see a lot of them right now.

I still think that good free scripts will always get more traction than paid ones since that is the core of this community.

It will probably take time until things balance out with paid and free releases - the bad ones will be forgotten and the good ones will always stay there.

3 Likes

pogchamp

Some Moderation on the quality of these scripts should be put into place.
Also, Some of the scripts are charging way to much for what they are. I do think the LondonStudios Resources are Excellent and Priced Extremely well. However some are not.

1 Like

If you make a new category, you limit the amount of people who see such scripts. If you make a separate category to display paid scripts, it severely limits the amount of people who see it. Paid scripts are already required to put a paid tag on their releases.

If you don’t want to see paid releases, filter them out. Nothing stops you from doing that.

There is no need to hinder these resources more just because people are upset that more developers will create paid scripts.

Honestly, none of the developers on this platform really get much in return for releasing free resources. Hell, if paid resources were a thing back in the day, I probably would of released many of my scripts as being paid for. Until there is a real legitimate reason for developers to release free open-source resources (such as advertising their Discord), then you will see much more of a balance in my opinion. Until then, I believe paid resources being developed will continue to be ramped up. You can read more about my reasoning here, [POLL] Allowing a Discord advertisement within the releases section under certain guidelines?

1 Like

Paid resources are not highlighted in any fashion by the Forum moderation or the Collective. Sorting is done via Discourse and not by us (the moderators). I believe you have the ability to filter the releases in which you see. I can look into this further.

I too believe this will increase, it is a double edged sword. If it’s not allowed, they will sell their resources elsewhere, then you folks (the community) will purchase them or get scammed, then complain that they don’t work or so on. We see it time after time, thus the Tebex partnership came about.

This will likely never happen.

This is a great mindset, I too agree that there is suddenly an influx in developers releasing paid resources for a variety of different reasons. Think about it, FiveM is the largest GTA 5 modification out right now… large market.

What is there to moderate? Who are we to say that this paid resource is or is not worth the amount they’re charging? The value of choice… you can purchase their resource for the price they desire or learn to create it yourself for free…

Hmm, “This will likely never happen.” and why?
That is against ToS of FiveMI’m in here for so long and it always has been a community for free releases, yeah ofc they should sell their work if it’s good enough or if it’s something the community can like but we don’t have to see those Ads.

Well, the Terms of Service changes regularly - it is up to the user to ensure they are aware of said changes. You can see at https://fivem.net/terms that it was updated to reflect the Tebex partnership accordingly. My statement was, it is highly unlikely there will be a separate section for Paid Releases… there really isn’t a need to. You can simply keep scrolling.