Low Fps on High-End PC

IF YOU DO NOT FILL THIS OUT, YOUR TOPIC WILL BE UNLISTED AND CLOSED

To receive support, please fill out the following template, and remove this top text.

GTA V version? Latest
Up to date? Yes
Legit or Pirate copy? Legit
Steam/CD/Social Club? SocialClub
Windows version? 10 latest
Did you try to delete caches.xml and try again? yes
Error screenshot (if any)

System specifications
RTX 2060 6 GB, i7 7700k, 16 Gb DDR4-2400
What did you do to get this issue?
What server did you get this issue on? All
CitizenFX crash zip file
CitizenFX.log file
.dmp files/report IDs

My fps drop everytime, highest framerate is 60 fps. I tryed to clear cache, reinstalling fivem and GTA. All Graphic settings are set to low with directx 11. How can i do?

1 Like

Hello, this is a friendly reminder because this is your first time creating a topic (or it has been a while since your last topic) in this category.

Please note that most of the support is provided by the Cfx.re community on a voluntary basis. We ask you to be patient; there is no guarantee we have a solution to your problem(s). To avoid unnecessary/duplicate topics, please browse the forums before creating a topic.

To improve your chances of your issue(s) being solved, please provide as much information as possible about the issue(s) you are having. Also —whenever possible— please use the template given to you when creating a topic.

Thanks for keeping these forums tidy!
:mascot:

1 Like

You most likely have some processes running in the background hogging your resources. Try using something like Razer Cortex (Windows 10 has an in-built “Game Mode” but it doesn’t work as well as Cortex does, to my experience).
Make sure VSync is off in GTAV graphics settings, too - that’d limit your FPS to the refreshrate of your screen.

1 Like

I tried Razer Cortex and it doesn’t works for FiveM, Fps drops when downloading a resource in the map, VSync is off and gpu usage is only 30%… Thanks you for your reply!

3 Likes

It’s normal for FPS to “tank” when downloading streamed assets and there’s nothing you can do to prevent those occassional FPS drops.
BTW, Cortex is not meant to “work with FiveM” - all that app is intended to do is shut down unnecessary processes that hog resources in the background, thus providing more “headroom” for the ones you need - such as the game itself, which you should be able to choose (I haven’t used Cortex in a long while myself so don’t really know what the options there are like)
Judging by your CPU usage, you have something running in the background that takes a lot of its power.
I have an i7-7700 (the standard one, not the K one) and a 1070ti and my FPS hovers around the 100 mark in 1440p on FiveM with semi-random and fairly rare dips to 50-60 when loading streamed assets, larger MLOs in particular. There’s no way your rig, which is more powerful than mine, has that big of a decrease in frame draw times unless it’s being heavily used by something else besides the game.

Oh and yeah, forgot to mention - make sure your Windows and GPU drivers are up-to-date.

First off, you had a lower end of mid-tier, nowhere close to a high-tier PC.

Second. I have a mid tier laptop which was experiencing some loss with 4K, changing it to 1080p and dropping shadows made the game run over 100 FPS. Check that you’re not running in 4K, and check your shadow settings. If that doesn’t fix it, you have another issue going on (are you using your discrete GPU? Are you running processes in the background? Are you playing on a heavily modded server?). You’re not high end by far but you should be running at 50-60FPS without loss fairly easily with the right settings with your setup.

Too many variables to give you a straight answer.

1 Like

No it isn’t. Any repro for that? I’m noticing no impact on FPS at all on any system I have locally when downloading a bundle of random map assets I found on the forums, even with status display enabled, or the download speed throttled so downloading takes even longer.

3 Likes

Here’s an example streamed asset that causes FPS drops in different environments (see below)

*Note - I have several custom YMAP files to remove certain trash piles, bins and benches around the building, as well as a custom 100-ish object YMAP file to add gates and fencing to the parking area at the side of the building.

1.) Localhost server with me being the only client - when approaching the area, there is an “almost freeze” (drop to ~10 FPS for around 0.5 seconds)
2.) External server (avg. ping is 55-60), same area - a visually longer drop in FPS, no exact times though.

This happens only on first download, later, when the asset is cached, there is no performance impact whatsoever in or around said area.

Here’s some of my rig details which may help:
i7-7700, 1070ti, 16GBs of RAM @ 2133 MHz. GTAV and FiveM installed on a 7.2k RPM HDD. 100 mbps connection (average download speed is 10 MB/s). When running local server + client CPU usage fluctuates near the 70% mark, RAM no more than 10GBs occupied.

LMK if you need more details and I’ll add them as soon as I can :smiley:

Edit: I am not the only person with the FPS drop issue with this particular MLO and YMAPs. Two other people (with very different PCs and ping) have tried, so far, on the same server, and they all said they had dips in frame draw times when entering the vicinity of the modified building.

1 Like

Ah, a quad-core CPU and rotational storage that might be too slow for write-behind cache.

I’ll see if I can dig up some of that (or simulate it, heh) soon.

2 Likes

I too think I’m being bottlenecked by the hard drive there more than anything, but still - one of the other guys testing it has FiveM and GTAV on an SSD and he still has this issue (albeit it’s much less noticeable, I imagine lol)

Feel free to reach out to me if you need more information on this matter.

1 Like

Actually, I just had an idea - there’s not nearly enough space on my 120GBs SATA SSD for GTAV (it houses my OS, mainly), but I can easily fit FiveM there.
Would it be worth the hassle to maybe help reduce the lag?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.