LOD / SLOD Texture issues

We got the same issue on some places too. It looks like that the LOD model is not unloading anymore and “overlaying” the L0 Model. So the L0 is still loading in. This happens if you have a longer session like 5/6 hours or if you are nocliping around. We found out that when you enter a MLO and go back to the location, the LOD model will most likely unload again, but will come back after a few minutes of playing. And yes this issue will lead to a gamecrash. We should get in contact to get a 100% working repro.

1 Like

Its not though. Its happened with only 2 maps running on our servers.

That’s interesting, how long did it take you to get to that state using only 2 maps? Were you noclipping around the map as well?

Do you mind sharing the maps or a repro?

No I’m sayin the blurry LOD issues happen no matter if there are 2 custom maps or 50 custom maps it still happened. And it didn’t matter which two I tried. Thats why when I was trying to narrow it down thinking its some of the add on maps I realized by doing so that its not because of any particular map it seems. Especially since I’ve been checking all LOD Linkages and removed all files that had modified LOD’s in order to test as well.

ReproProcess of elimination was to simply turn off all the maps in batches. But unfortunately no luck solving the issue.

Regarding what was said above about duplicate files. That WILL hurt your server’s performance regardless of this issue. You need to check and integrate any duplicate files either way or contract a mapper to do it for you if you don’t know how to do map design. But that is again process of elimination or with a program to search for duplicates.

Do the same issues happen if you don’t have extended texture budget changed at all?

Yes, I tried that but the problem recurred.

Yes unfortunately. I tried with default settings and also low/normal/ultra and a combination of things.
I even tried editing

<Item>
							<PoolName>MapDataStore</PoolName>
							<PoolSize value="12000"/>
						</Item>

but you can only go so far, didnt help
someone who once had an issue posted that as a possible solution but you cannot up it or it will crash the second you try to open FiveM so that didnt work

I truly do wonder if its something to do with not properly detecting/syncing where the player is in the world client side in relation to said LOD distance so therefore it isn’t properly cleaning them up aka unloading them as the person moves around as new ones load in and so you end up with double … or some sort of strange garbage collection issue… but of course I’m just throwing out ideas at this point being frustrated by it lol

Yeah but 2 map are much easier to debug than the 20 or so that i provided

Which ‘maps’ in this case - and was there any other addon content loaded as well that affects entity definitions or other metadata?

Would be good if you could share your 2 custom maps to repro this issue.

Its not just 2 maps. Its ANY 2 maps. As mentioned above.

If it was 2 distinct maps I could easily fix the issue already but its not fixed.

It doesn’t seem to even matter which ones it is and it doesn’t seem to matter also because these double LOD issues happen in areas even with no custom maps at all just strictly vanilla ymaps and models. Like the aforementioned near Zancudo randomly or near Calafia Way.

Additionally I wonder if this is the same issue that is caused with interiors not loading sometimes even though you’ve already got it downloaded and been there a million times.

Just like with these LOD issues - you have to teleport far away and back again then suddenly it loads. Once again, indicative to me of some issue where the location of your ped is not being detected properly in relation to the LOD distances or something so therefore it doesn’t load the interior properly much in the same way that it doesn’t load or unload the proper LOD levels as its based on distance of your ped to them - if I’m not mistaken. Could be wrong here but it seems to be a thing.

Because I am curious as to why moving around normally as things load and unload bugs out - but yet when you teleport instantly to an area - it loads everything fresh and its fine.

I will be doing more troubleshooting today on my test servers regarding some ipl loaders as well to confirm they aren’t causing issues or something.

I highly doubt that. Again: provide actual files and steps. Not some vague guesses that are up to interpretation and may or may not succeed.

‘It doesn’t seem to matter because it happens even in … areas’ also doesn’t add up since if something incorrectly unloads it obviously would affect other areas too.

Your theories (‘the ped’s location not being detected correctly’) also are wildly incorrect speculation and only mislead and detract from the point of just providing actual files and coords/locations to go between/automated scripts to be able to 100% reproduce it rather than things being open to interpretation. There are numerous reasons for teleporting to work but moving around to break including ‘moving around crosses a specific boundary between a duplicate asset definition that somehow lingers’.

Can you actually provide a repro to backup your claims? I understand that my 20 maps with many of them escrowed is not really actionable, but a repro with only 2 maps should be

He says this problem happens without any add-on maps, so I think those two maps aren’t important.

uh, where was this said?

I’m in contact with this person on Discord. And he says this, unfortunately he was not able to answer at the moment

But in any case, this problem does not occur on my server as described by this person. Just 1 extra map on my server causes this to happen. Unfortunately, this map contains many ymap files, if it was easy to solve the problem, I would have sent the map.

Can you share the map?

I can definitively say that after doing some testing this week, I found that this problem is directly related to the distance LODs and Level SLODs and the amount of Streaming Extents.

In the map that is on my server, in the first step, using CodeWalker, I automatically calculated all the Extents in the Ymap files and used all the Level SLODs.

HD, LOD, SLOD1, SLOD2, SLOD3, SLOD4

With this amount of Distance for each:

HD: 200
LOD: 400
SLOD1: 1000
SLOD2: 2000
SLOD3: 4000
SLOD4: 10000

In this version of the map, in the first few minutes when I entered the server, without entering the map, this problem occurred to me all over the city.

After that, in the second step, I manually calculated all the Extents in the Ymap files and only included the Entities Extents plus the highest Distance LOD value in it, and recorded the result as Streaming Extents.

Then I removed all the Level SLODs below.

SLOD2, SLOD3, SLOD4

And finally the distances became like this:

HD: 200
LOD: 400
SLOD1: 3000

This time, when I entered the server, the problem occurred after a long time (at least 1 or 2 hours after entering the server) and I must have visited the entire map through Noclip.