Quick Question!

Hello quick question… if you were or are learning five M what language would you prefer to start with?

Lua - Great for beginners but limited to five m development mostly as lua is not something you would use outside of five m often for production type of development unless there was a specific reason or stack.

JS/TS - Great for beginners little more complex than LUA but allows you endless future possabilites and JS/TS is widely used as an industry standard in developing all kinds of applications.

C# - Complex and not beginner frendly but great for complex advanced projects and allows great future proof opportunities for you as a lot of industries use this technology.

• C#
  • JS/TS - JavaScript/TypeScript
  • Lua

0 voters

Javascript Typescript or C# all the way. Which of those two I can’t really decide on. I know C# seems to have a lot more utility in the gaming world, however JS/TS have a lot of uses outside of gaming as well.

1 Like

Well he is talking about specifically for FiveM.
Last time I checked C# isn’t really optimal for FiveM considering:

• Harder to use then Lua
  • Less optimized for FiveM
  • Not as documented etc etc

So I would have to say Lua / JS, TS.
Only time I would see someone using C# is if they are already used to it before starting with FiveM.

1 Like

… huh?

C# is perhaps the easiest to use given there’s the instant-setup project templates and working IntelliSense without having to deal with setting up your own build toolchain like with, say, TS.

huh-again?

Languages aren’t ‘optimized for FiveM’ at all - Lua isn’t, JS isn’t, TS isn’t, and so of course C# isn’t either.

If you’re referring to runtime performance, the C# ScRT is actually fastest*, Lua second and the V8 ScRT third (mainly as the V8 C++ API is slow).

*) Per-native invocation overhead, primarily. C# has the runtime startup time but once you’re actually executing code it’s a lot faster, and future improvements will make even that faster.

… given there’s IntelliSense and the natives are the exact same, why does it matter?

2 Likes

Compare the resource usage of nearly any C# resource in FiveM to one using Lua and doing the exact same thing.
Although I might have been kinda wrong with what I was saying, I havent fully used c# although everything I said in my previous post is stuff I personally believe to be true / stuff I have heard from my friends that use C#.

EDIT AGAIN: I’m really sorry for getting this mixed up, but I believe I mixed up c++ and c# (inner facepalm). That is quite dumb of me

LUA is very simple and “easy” to use for FiveM “Development” and if you’re a new “Developer” i suggest starting with LUA.