Isn't FiveM's forums ready yet to have languages section?

FiveM’s community is now bigger than ever with a lot of players from different countries and languages. Yet, our forums still limit us to use English in order to ask for help, advertise our servers or any other activity. That’s why I am suggesting to create a languages section where we can have multiple communities growing using their native languages. This action will be very healthy for both, non-English speakers (who will get help in their own language) and English speakers (so our existing boards won’t get flooded with incomprehensible topics which will most likely just get ignored).

In terms of management (only if this suggestion gets accepted for sure) the ‘languages section’ should be managed by current global moderators to add new languages boards (by community members’ requests) and to add new moderators who will have access to edit their languages boards respectively.

This suggestion is not just going to let more players feel comfortable using the forums but will certainly increase the creativity of our community when new players meet each others and share their scripting experiences.

2 Likes

I truly agree. Not everyone I know is a fluent english speaker and has problems and these people can not correctly and understandably express themselves. Also when you’re having technical problems and getting them explained to you in a different language that you maybe do not understand quite as well, you maybe need to use translation software and that probably messes it up more.
I personally really like the idea and would be very interested to see how that would work even though the moderation of the different languages could be hard. You would not only need the current moderators as “global moderators” but you would also need moderators for the different languages who speak these languages and can enforce the guidelines. That would seem to me like the biggest problem, even though I personally would love to engage in doing volunteer help in that matter.

So I don’t think that it will be implemented but it would be a very cool thing for maybe people that do not speak english quite aswell and would probably better the way solutions get presented to non-fluent-speakers. It probably also would avoid these empty topics which are written in broken english.

I’ve known multiple forums (not in this kind of size and matter) that have done these steps and it greatly improved the community although it was a big and hard path (because of the already mentioned moderation issues).

1 Like

No, this is a conscious decision to not do so based on past experience in having “regional” sections in a large-scale gaming community.

Even with the most perfect community liaisons (as these would not only be moderators - they ought to be much more than that: relay common issues back to the actual project staff, relay announcements back and forth, etc.), that would both speak English as well as their relevant language well enough, this still would lead to a massive segregation of knowledge on one end, and on the other end lead to users feeling even more dissatisfied with a lack of response time to their topic written in a smaller language.

Anyone can learn English to some extent, and if not, anyone at least knows someone who can write and understand a decent amount of English.

Finally, the most popular languages for people to be struggling with are in fact languages that we have no set of viable community liaisons for, that would also be available across time zones and on a nearly 7d/week basis; as again having a single one would be a massive limitation. The fact is, sadly, that a language liaison can and will often end up behaving badly out-of-band, representing themselves as “project staff” elsewhere, which in quite some cases in aforementioned past projects of course has led to severe issues that went out of the language section’s scope (e.g. hard-to-mitigate DDoS attacks and other forms of mass scale abuse).

2 Likes