Is there a noob guide to get into RedM?

Hello,

I have been playing RDO for years and have grown tired of it (same with GTA:O). I read about FiveM and RedM and really want to learn more about it.

But as someone whose just a gamer and not a developer, I’m not sure where to start on this website. All I really know is FiveM and RedM let people make their own multiplayer servers, and people can do a bunch of custom stuff that’s not possible in the vanilla game.

I found a subrddit for FiveM but it seems locked down and empty, so I didn’t know where to go for discussions, to learn about the different servers available, the differences between them, info on making my own server, etc.

Just a hopeful but very interested Red Dead fan trying to gain knowledge, I’d appreciate any guidance.

1 Like

you can try here: Server Tutorials - Cfx.re Community

I do agree that we are lacking a lot of clear information for people who don’t already know why they’re downloading and trying to use the platform.

So far, most servers are community run and even I don’t know what the popular ones are all about - most of them seem to be some role play stuff that’s relatively popular, on RedM I think most the populated ones are. It’s something that is probably only explained by some meta hidden somewhere, and if that’s not why you’re here it does get relatively… confusing.

Starting a server will usually leave you with an entirely empty game world and the base game mechanics, for FiveM there’s a few little sandbox style addons to use for that but RedM is a little slow with that as most people jumped on it just for these role playing servers - I don’t know myself either, it’s definitely confusing.

If you’d have more specific questions that’d make them easier to answer, I would guess.

As to getting started:

Generally, you’d get started by downloading the game client from either fivem.net or redm.net, the installer itself should handle everything automatically - if it doesn’t, you’re not doing anything wrong, you probably are hitting an edge case.

For FiveM, join any of the pinned servers (on the right of the server list, you get there by clicking ‘Play’ once you launched the game client) unless you already know of a server you want to join.

For RedM, we seem to be lacking even a single server to test with, which is definitely missing and should (hopefully) be fixed soon, so there’s likely no list on the right.

If you want to run your own server, this is again a little more difficult but we’re working on this as one of the core goals for this year. There’s a lot of community stuff out there people use but finding it seems… difficult.

3 Likes

Just made an account to bump this thread, I’m interested in RedM and I’m confident I can get the client installed but I can’t find solid documentation on how to get a server spun up.

I know I’m not OP, but…
let’s say I want to host a private RedM instance for less than a dozen people on a linux vps, is there an up-to-date guide for that, or even a guide for Windows that could be adapted? It seems like there’s one for FiveM but I’m not sure which parts of that guide apply to RedM and which don’t.
If this stuff already exists it ought to be stickied. This thread is the closest thing I can find here on the forums and judging by recent comments it doesn’t seem to apply as of 2022.