Is it against TOS to sell scripts?

I have a question. Is it against your terms of service to sell scritps? I mean, it says that you can’t make money off fivem, but that would make it illegal to for a website hosting service to recieve payments from people that wants a website for their fivem server, because then they are technically making money off fivem. It would be the same for youtube videos about fivem; If you earn ad revenue from videos where you play fivem it wouldn’t be allowed because yout making money off fivem. TL;DR: Read the title.

This will make for a great repeat thread but no, you can’t sell them.

In before logic.

But as i said, then it wouldn’t be allowed to earn money from youtube videos where you play fivem, and that wouldn’t make sense.

You can’t sell scripts.

Let me go ahead and make the list larger.

You can’t get paid to help with a FiveM server.
You can’t get paid to run a FiveM server.
You can’t get paid to host a FiveM server.
You can’t get paid to make models on a FiveM server.
You can’t get paid to make scripts for a FiveM server.

Pretty much anything that is directly FiveM you can not sell for a profit.

Pretty much the only exception to take donations is if you are a community owner and you need donations to keep the server alive. EVEN THEN you can only accept the needed donations that month to pay for the server you can’t profit and store it.

And to add to what was said above:

If you think “Yea but why aren’t we allowed to do this? This rule is stupid”.

If this rule wouldn’t be enforced then FiveM would not even be there for you all.

2 Likes

If that rule wasnt enforced the releases section on the forums would be a ghost town and have nothing but dead topics.

2 Likes

Yeah haha. Just imagine paid scripts. Like paid Discourse themes. Make a lil topic “go-to my PayPal to pay” haha what a drama show it would be. Plus dumb. #Freeware

3 Likes

What I like about FiveM is sharing and mutual help. Without this rule, when someone will ask for help, you’ll see some “Need help? This is my paypal”

1 Like

Have you guys never seen an open source community? The potential for selling is there, they simply choose not to. I would personally love to see it allowed here. All the douchenozzles on the forum would be brought to the surface right away in their clamor to make some cold hard pennies on their supergenius RP scripts. There would still be scripts offered free of charge just like there’s scripts all over the internet that cost nothing by the developers’ choosing.

The issue, as I understand it is that Rockstar would take issue with and potentially kill FiveM if more money were changing hands. I think it’s for that reason that the only people that are allowed to make money off of FiveM are the developers of FiveM and ZAP.

1 Like

I can get why you would stop people from selling scripts but why does it matter if a community of people want to help out a server by donating. So what if they donate more than the server needs to run. If anything it would improve that server since the server staff would be receiving more money to reinvest their time. Better servers means more players. Instead FiveM rather only they make money even though Community’s receiving donations would have zero impact on their patreon and may even improve the player base… Just my two cents, probably going to get deleted by a moderator…

2 Likes

What about in the case where my community servers cost £75 a month but that is for a dedicated server that hosts gmod, minecraft, tf2 and FiveM. How much in donations can I accept? £75? or do I need to divide it by 4 (4 servers)? and only accept £18.75 from FiveM donations? :thinking:

1 Like

If the server costs £75 then you can accept the donations from your fiveM community, as long there is no profit of it.

Let’s take the example, you have a gmod community, if they donate you £30, then you are only allowed to take £45 more, cause that’s what your server costs in total.

I hope I could help.

okay, i only made an account so i would reply to how stupid this rule is
-First of all.
allowing people to sell something that they “worked on” should be common sense
the same applies with the whole FiveM thing if you want to sell it you could’ve nobody told you “selling software is illegal”, however there is something to add here
selling a software which purpose is to gather “large amount of people” to play together without having a reputation or something that drives people to play it( … like an already made gamemode not raw GTA V)
basically makes no sense… and yet nobody forced a rule on you to make it “free” you still had the freedom to sell it

-Second.
allowing people to sell resources won’t make the section topics “dead” or “ghost town”
the purpose of a community is to connect people not to only allow them to “Chat” or “Discuss”
if anything this will actually be better because if someone want to sell something you will connect with other people who maybe want to buy that script or their work
see the word “connect” there? yeah again that’s the purpose of a community.
you are just allowing people to sell and buy you are not forbidding them to also release free resources

And finally…
HELP AND SELL
are 2 different things
first i’ll make something very clear there is a difference between getting a help in a detail and getting help on making a whole damn script without you having any knowledge and only relying on others to make it for you
but they both have one thing in common… no body has to help you do anything if anybody helped you, you should just be thankful if something is free you should also be thankful that this person offered his efforts for free … it’s not common sense for someone’s effort to be just free it’s his own decision to make it free or not
if he wants to profit from his work and efforts then he should and there is nothing wrong about that like “if you want help learning scripting which you clearly lack experience or knowledge in then yes GO TO MY PAYPAL and pay me for my knowledge and experience”
if somebody wants a help on a little detail in his script then okay that’s not a big deal help should be there and if it’s not then he should seek it else where or find his own way
but if you want to do something from the scratch to 100 then go learn how to script,
and from what i’ve seen online there are actually “FREE” scripting lessons for “FIVEM”, if you are lazy to learn then that’s your problem.

2 Likes

I didn’t read your entire rant but this topic is a year old and this rule has changed since then

1 Like