[HOW-TO] [TUTORIAL] Create your own scaleform using Flash + GFxExporter

solution here: Can someone help with getting this Custom Scaleform tutorial project to build properly please? - #2 by manups4e

Hello there! I followed your tutorial and everything went smoothā€¦up until this point:

I canā€™t seem to make the game load images properly. For instance, Iā€™m rebuilding the whole phone interface, and I tried to add a simple .png background in my scaleform. The scaleform gets successfully loaded into the game, but instead of the phone background, it shows a white rectangle:

(Ignore the black background, itā€™s just the oversized BOUNDING_BOX, needed to be that big to help me figure out how does it work)

However, back to the .png, this is the directory of my project:

As you can see, the images have been turned into a .tga file from the gfxexporter, rather than a .dds, as you said in the tutorial. Maybe is that the problem?

ok if you want a better way to load pngs inside your scaleform is by doing this

• First of allā€¦ add an empty movie clip inside your project and call it txdLoader
    like this

the class you wanna link is com.rockstargames.ui.media.ImageLoaderMC
  • Then in your script in the MAIN.as file of your project add these 3 public functions
    function ADD_TXD_REF_RESPONSE(txd, strRef, success)
    {
        com.rockstargames.ui.utils.Debug.log("ADD_TXD_REF_RESPONSE - " + arguments.toString());
        if (success == true)
        {
            var pMC = this.CONTENT;
            var il = com.rockstargames.ui.media.ImageLoaderMC(eval(pMC + "." + strRef));
            if (pMC != undefined)
            {
                il.displayTxdResponse(txd);
            }
        }
    }

function TXD_HAS_LOADED(txd, success, strRef)
    {
        com.rockstargames.ui.utils.Debug.log("TXD_HAS_LOADED - " + arguments.toString());
        if (success == true)
        {
            var pMC = this.CONTENT;
            if (pMC != undefined)
            {
                il.displayTxdResponse(txd,success);
            }
        }
    }

function TXD_ALREADY_LOADED(txd, strRef)
    {
        com.rockstargames.ui.utils.Debug.log("TXD_ALREADY_LOADED - " + arguments.toString());
        var pMC = this.CONTENT;
        if (pMC != undefined)
        {
            il.displayTxdResponse(txd,true);
        }
    }
  • Then use the attachMovie() function to add the txdLoader in your code wherever you wantā€¦

• When you want to load any txd, txn (DUI or ingame or streamed) use this function around your code to dynamically load your txd-txn via scaleform natives

function SetClip(targetMC, textureDict, textureName, w, h, callback, scope)
{
	var alreadyLoaded = true;
	if (targetMC.textureFilename != textureName && targetMC.textureDict != textureDict)
	{
		var alreadyLoaded = false;
	}
	targetMC.init("YOUR-GFX-NAME",textureDict,textureName,w,h);
	var splitPath = String(targetMC).split(".");
	var pathWithoutContent = splitPath.slice(2).join(".");
	com.rockstargames.ui.tweenStar.TweenStarLite.removeTweenOf(targetMC);
	targetMC._alpha = 100;
	targetMC.requestTxdRef(pathWithoutContent,alreadyLoaded,callback,scope);
}

I made the function SetClip to dynamically load any texture without the need to Load it before via nativesā€¦ the scaleform will load it and draw it for youā€¦

SetClip has these parameters:

• targetMC: the txdLoader movieClip you reference
  • textureDict: the texture dictionary (runtime, dui, ingame, streamedā€¦ who cares)
  • textureName: the name of the texture to load
  • w, h: width and height of the texture you wanna draw
  • callback: any function you wanna call whenever the load is finished (optional)
  • scope: i usually use ā€œthisā€ to reference all the class iā€™m usingā€¦ for example if iā€™m drawing a badge in ScaleformUI inside a UIMenuItem i reference this as the whole UIMenuItem isntance inside the function (thatā€™s how flash works :smiley: )

example:
ā€“ this function is called inside UIMenuItem in NativeUI-scaleform_flash in my github

function SetLeftBadge(id)
	{
		this.leftBadgeId = id;
		if (this.leftBadgeId != com.rockstargames.ScaleformUI.utils.Badges.NONE)
		{
			if (this.leftBadgeMC.isLoaded)
			{
				this.leftBadgeMC.removeMovieClip();
			}
			this.leftBadgeMC = this.itemMC.attachMovie("txdLoader", "LeftBadge", this.itemMC.getNextHighestDepth());
			var sprite_name = com.rockstargames.ScaleformUI.utils.Badges.getSpriteNameById(id, this.highlighted);
			var sprite_txd = com.rockstargames.ScaleformUI.utils.Badges.GetSpriteDictionary(id);
			SetClip(this.leftBadgeMC,sprite_txd,sprite_name,24,24,this.leftBadgeLoaded,this);
			this.itemMC.labelMC._x = 28.25;
		}
		else
		{
			if (this.leftBadgeMC.isLoaded)
			{
				this.leftBadgeMC.removeTxdRef();
				this.leftBadgeMC.removeMovieClip();
				this.itemMC.labelMC._x = 5;
			}
		}
		this.updateLabelWidth();
	}

function leftBadgeLoaded()
	{
		this.leftBadgeMC._visible = true;
		this.leftBadgeMC._width = 24;
		this.leftBadgeMC._height = 24;
		this.leftBadgeMC._x = 0.5;
		this.leftBadgeMC._y = 0.5;
		this.updateLabelWidth();
	}

Alsoā€¦ rebuilding the ingame phone is a big projectā€¦ i would start from something smallerā€¦ and grow step by stepā€¦

Oh, finalmente qualcuno che risponde, e anche celermente :smiley:
Anyway, thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate that! Iā€™ll start working on it in the following days. I think :joy:
I know itā€™s a big project, but I donā€™t really like the many NUI phones out there (I donā€™t like NUIs in general, I prefer scaleforms) and the default phone is good, but very limited. So thatā€™s why I had the idea to rebuild it (consider it the upgraded model :joy:)
But anyway, Iā€™m used to hard work, Iā€™m not afraid of the coding part^^ (now, about the graphic part, thatā€™s another storyā€¦)

Ahahahah tranquillo se posso rispondo sempre!
:blush:
Anyway the code I provided you gives you should help loading dynamically any textureā€¦ you can check ScaleformUI main Readme on GitHub :blush: join my community and we can help you

1 Like

Your code is very clearā€¦except for one part :joy:

SetClip()

From what I understood, I need to call this function to load txds from my scripts, I get that (I guess the appropriate native would be this: CallScaleformMovieMethodWithString)
My only doubt is the scope. How can I pass it as a parameter from, say, a .lua script? All the other parameters are fine, scope is the only one I canā€™t figure out how to pass

The only thing you pass from lua is TXD,TXN, WIDTH, HEIGHT all other params are internal to flash
Scope is flash way to say ā€œin the callback what can I see outside the callback itself?ā€

Got it. So I need to create an intermediate function that receives the parameters from the script, and then calls SetClip?

Something like this:

function DataFromLua(txd,txn,width,height) {
    SetClip(targetMC, txd, txn, width, height, callback, scope)
}