How did you find your developer?

Hello, I hope you are well. I’ve been a server owned since May 2020 and I’ve been having a really hard time finding reliable, trustworthy developers that a) know their stuff and b) are able to deliver and c) are consistent and dependable.

I’m a people and process guy and would rather do just about anything other than code (configuration stuff isn’t bad) - so I need to have a developer on side to take care of that part. I’m wondering how other owners are doing it?

1 Like

Personally, I program for myself for those exact reasons. Trust being the biggest issue. As there are a lot of scumbags out there, that want to either steal your code or try to do something malicious.

Biggest thing I can say about having reliable help is to KYC (know your client) or in this case, coder.

Have people sign an NDA, know who the real person is as if you’re their employer, which you are whether paid or not.

Is good help hard to come by? Absolutely! Is it impossible? No. But it will be very difficult.

4 Likes

Set up a git repo using GitHub/GitLab/Gitea and be the owner of it and give your developer at least read and write perms.

Escrow your scripts that you deem valuable and who don’t need editing.

Keep ownership of all scripts and let the dev use your licence key.

Auto-backup database with data a couple of times a day and have it into a folder that’s in your repo.

3 Likes

Ill be real, no developer would work under those conditions if they are not being paid well. If you want a developer to code something you got to realise, that is the developers code not yours. Most server owners want developers, but don’t want to pay. Its a lot easier being the guy playing the game with a community then being the guy that spends 12hours in a day coding, just to constantly hear issues. Developers are easy to come by, but also very easy to lose.

2 Likes

Totally agreed with that. 100%

Yeah, we’ve been happy to pay developers. Our most recent dev has been super reliable but funding fluctuates so much, its hard to afford him full time. For this reason, I’ve learned to code and I’m working with him to help him start his own coding shop for FiveM.

@Anvil If you want to attract good quality people, be a great leader and develop people. Build them up and invest in them.

1 Like

Better to learn how to do it yourself. Step by step.

As it was already said here, there is not many reliable people out there. Especially when it comes to amateur hour (non paid and mostly hobbyists). And then there’s the question of the character.

That’s why in professional sphere, all individuals, companies and IPs are protected by agreements, NDAs and other, enforceable legalities.

And for those reasons, I’d recommend to anyone interested in managing FiveM server to do it for the good time, having in mind possible risks, loss of assets, code, integrity and who knows what else (I had a few cases of really friendly acting people, competent, simply to ghost us after a half a year of mutual work - never gave us any explanation, just changing their profile picture time to time).

Things happen, people do things (or stop doing them) and it’s up to you, as the server owner, to manage all those risks and potential damage or sudden loss of important human capital.

Unless you have real money and an army of corporate layers behind you, be prepared for anything at all times.

1 Like