Handling Metas Questions

In the interest of streamlining things I’ve set a bunch of vehicles to use one of the vanilla GTA handling lines.

The weird thing is that some of them work perfectly fine with it and others don’t. Even if they are a similar model in size and everything. For instance, I have a 16 FPIU from one department and another from another department. One works with the vanilla GTA handling line I’ve set for it in the vehicles.meta and the other does not. Both vehicle models nearly identical in size and such as well. But Its like it doesn’t take and the vehicle flips so easily as if it has no handling line assigned.

There are no errors in my server or client console for the vehicle either.

My theories…

1. Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many vehicles can be using the same handling line.

2. Is there some other hard coded setting in the vehicles model that effects handling? Or meta value in the vehicles.meta or something?

3. Sometimes it works without the need to have any handling.meta in the same directory as the vehicle model resource. Usually it seems to find the handling line just fine as long as its a vanilla GTA one loaded on the server. Could it be that for whatever reason some models seem to need their own handling.meta file accompanying them and they cannot use a different one?

Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Thank you.

What is the actual handling line? Maybe it itself is known to have some bugs.

The handling line will work for another vehicle just fine though so it does work thats the weird thing

Is your handlingName in each of the vehicles’ handling.meta correspond to their vehicle.meta?
And also is handlingName unique for each of the vehicles? if you directly copy and paste the handling.meta from one vehicle resource to another it won’t work.

1. Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many vehicles can be using the same handling line.

If by handling line you mean the name of the vanilla handling you are using. No there is no limit, tecnically you could have all cars in your server working on the same handling.

1. Is there some other hard coded setting in the vehicles model that effects handling? Or meta value in the vehicles.meta or something?

I can’t say I’m sure at 100%, but let’s say I’m 99% sure that there are hard coded settings in the vehicles model that effect the handling yes.
As for vehicles.meta values that could change the handling behaviour, I’d say there are yes (I don’t know them all), for example I’m sure there is a flag, that affects how hard a car can ram into another car (which tecnically you could change by changing the Mass values in the handling.meta).

Sometimes it works without the need to have any handling.meta in the same directory as the vehicle model resource. Usually it seems to find the handling line just fine as long as its a vanilla GTA one loaded on the server. Could it be that for whatever reason some models seem to need their own handling.meta file accompanying them and they cannot use a different one?

No, actually you don’t need any handling.meta in the same directory as the vehicle model resource. As long as you put in the vehicles.meta a valid handlingID (which needs to be either a vanilla handlingID (WARNING: if you usa a handlingID of a car that is not in your server’s build, it won’t work), or a handlingID that is in your server in another car’s directory).
In conclusion, no car needs it’s handling.meta acompanying it, as long as it’s loaded correctily in the server it will work.

To add I believe every vehicle model has its on center point or center of mass that each modeler places when they make the model. The handling meta is and should be made to work with the models center of mass. Some of the same vehicles though they are the same, actually has a different position for the center of mass which is in the model itself placed my the editor. So when you see cars flipping or turning funny. You have to change your center of mass values to fix that. But essentially things that change speed acceleration, weight, basically everything else, should be consistent no matter the model.

yes if that not work you can try a copy handling.meta and change the name and use this in the car that does not work, remember to check the vehicles. meta have the correct name of the handling id, if this does not work check the resources and see if something goes wrong, let me know for something. Sorry for my bad english

Direct DM me if you want to. I’ve been working on cars for 2-3+ years for handling Im not a freaking wizard but I know my stuff decently well when it comes to how the car “Performs”

Discord - eli_lotus or dm me here.

Best Wishes, Eli

Vehicle model loads from the vehicle.meta which in turn loads the handling.meta for that model, if no handling is present game will default to adder handling