FiveM will not launch (Windows 7) (Solved)

IF YOU DO NOT FILL THIS OUT, YOUR TOPIC WILL BE UNLISTED AND CLOSED

To receive support, please fill out the following template, and remove this top text.

Environment questions

GTA V version: Latest
Up to date: Yes
Legit or Pirate copy: Legit
Purchased where - Steam/Rockstar Launcher/Epic: Steam
Windows version: Windows 7
Did you try to delete content_index.xml and try again? I cant find it
System specifications: GeForce GTX 1050TI / i7 4790K / 16GB Ram
CitizenFX crash zip file (‘Save information’ on a crash): No Crash Info
logs/CitizenFX_log files: N/A
.dmp files/report IDs: N/A

If you can’t start the game at all

GTA V folder screenshot: Screenshot - 8862e7828619ccd5f6b80a03fb9d772b - Gyazo
GTA V/update/x64/dlcpacks screenshot: Screenshot - e47cf96a949216c8656dd77959815e11 - Gyazo
Filepath to FiveM folder: Screenshot - 387d0e794bc65b1c404ce90d44d4ceaf - Gyazo
FiveM client folder screenshot: Screenshot - f098076f4bfb1a0154eb1536a3d6e231 - Gyazo
Which antivirus/firewall software are you using? No AntiVirus and Windows firewall
Did you try to disable/uninstall your Anti-virus? N/A

Important parts

What is the issue you’re having? FiveM will not launch and there is no crash error.

What are you trying to do? Play FiveM

What have you tried already to fix the issue?

• Reinstalled GTAV and FiveM
  • Verified game files
  • Moved FiveM to the GTA folder
  • Disabled firewall
  • Edited the CitizenFx.ini
  • Ran in administrator

Error screenshot (if any): N/A

What did you do to get this issue? Nothing as far as I know, it started after I restarted my computer.

What server did you get this issue on? Be specific and name some, ‘all of them’ by itself isn’t useful! None, I had no issues with playing until after I restarted my computer.

Additional comments

I just would like to play FiveM. Ive tried everything and I dont know what else to do. I’ve been playing FiveM for years and had no issues with it until now. If anybody has any type of suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. If you think I should just update to windows 10 then I’ll do it but that’s a last resort for me.

EDIT: Upgrading to Windows 10 fixed the issue for me. So if you’re on Windows 7, I suggest just go ahead and switch to 10. Only took less than an hour.

1 Like

Hello, this is a friendly reminder because this is your first time creating a topic (or it has been a while since your last topic) in this category.

Please note that most of the support is provided by the Cfx.re community on a voluntary basis. We ask you to be patient; there is no guarantee we have a solution to your problem(s). To avoid unnecessary/duplicate topics, please browse the forums before creating a topic.

To improve your chances of your issue(s) being solved, please provide as much information as possible about the issue(s) you are having. Also —whenever possible— please use the template given to you when creating a topic.

Thanks for keeping these forums tidy!
:mascot:

Same issue here. Something in the update fixed the kernel error a few days ago (FiveM error on KERNEL32.dll) but now i can’t even start the launcher: when starting FiveM it just launches and insta-closes.

Tried on all versions (Beta, Canary, Normal).

Thanks for help!

I’m having the same issue as the original poster and the previous comment. Very frustrating as I feel very firm that it’s connected with whatever update FiveM pushed out yesterday. I wish it could be rolled back to see if these problems become resolved.

1 Like

same here with the auto close. it seems a update is messing with win 7 users. i was so tempted to upgrade but i just cant. i’m about to buy a whole computer for gaming only at this point

Friendly reminder that Windows 7 is not technically supported. Yes, steps such as rolling back whatever change was made might fix it, but FiveM as a piece of software cannot be expected to work perfectly across four different operating systems forever, as things get updated and changed, older operating systems will no longer be compatible.

https://docs.fivem.net/docs/client-manual/system-requirements/

4 Likes

So what you’re saying is win7 users are doomed unless they upgrade at this point? We had this issue no less than a week ago and it was fixed… is another fix possible? I don’t intend on upgrading my windows as I’ll be getting a brand new PC in 6 weeks, but i do not wanna wait that long to be able to play again. So even a temp fix for now would be sufficient.

1 Like

All I am pointing out is that Windows 7 is over 12 years old now, and it won’t work forever; CFX might push a fix, or they might not, I’m only suggesting you don’t hold your breath waiting for one.

I can understand how Windows7 is old, but surely with enough modern games and programs continue to develop and remain stable on Win7, surely FiveM can as well. Especially if many people can clearly point to an update that was pushed out one day and all problems began that day. The support channel on discord is blowing up with references to this same issue of “failure to launch”, there are multiple posts on here all describing the same problem.

Something has happened, and I’m pointing to the update that came out yesterday, automatically downloaded, and the program doesn’t launch at all thereafter.

I will try to be more helpful when I arrive home.

2 Likes

Its fixed for me. I just went ahead and upgraded to Windows 10. I didnt want to cause I was so used to Windows 7 and expected to lose all of my files. But nothing changed thankfully.
So I recommend just go ahead and switching over to Windows 10 since its still free. Appreciate the link.

1 Like

I understand that making this app compatible with lots of OS might be complicated, but we as users were expecting nothing more but a simple launcher to play our favourite game, and everything woked fine so far no matter what Windows we have installed!

Look at what other launchers like ■■■■■■ did all over the years and are still working on older Windows versions no matter the upgrades and stuff…

After trying multiple things, it seems that it might be related to the latest Nvidia update but nothing sure about that yet :thinking:

I hope that you will find a solution to this problem and the players to play on their FiveM servers :slight_smile:

Cheers!

What is it with people somehow assuming game mods are just ‘launchers’?

Again, some recent anticheat changes are somewhat unintentionally broken on your odd 13 year old choice of an OS, this may be fixed in the near future again (perhaps next week’s update, or sometime sooner), but again we can’t test every release on this edge case scenario since it is pretty much impossible to buy any hardware that can run this ancient OS these days, and it’s so ancient that virtual machines for example don’t have working software 3D rendering (a feature introduced in 8, like many others) or 3D rendering at all.

1 Like

Why anyone uses old OS, software and hardware is anyone guess. I’m “use to” my shoes but eventually one day I’ll have to get new ones. Sounds like pure stubbornness really :thinking: Both 10 and 11 are free, and I can understand the whole tpm nonsense but at least update to 10. It’s not just about operating systems, it’s about security, support, and having things work.

A fix for Windows 7 has been pushed to the canary branch.
Would be nice for anyone experiencing the issue to confirm it is fixed on Canary so we can schedule a production push in the coming days. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your help. I can understand the challenges that you have to come through.
All we want is being able to play the game, so thanks for still caring about us :slight_smile:

You answered your own question. I’m good with an old OS for now, i’m just not ready to downgrade to Windows 11 yet, especially when it’s offered for free :thinking:

I’m totally aware of the security and “old” issues. I’m just feeling good with it for the moment.

Sooner or later i’ll get to the next level don’t worry :wink:

1 Like

Thank you very much for releasing a fix so quickly :blush:

Testing the canary branch atm, FiveM seems to launch but i need deeper investigation before saying that it’s properly working :construction_worker_man:

Update: seems to work fine for now thanks again!

Unbelievable. I am in the process of upgrading to Windows 10 as a developer posts about an update being pushed…it is what it is…

how did you test the other branch?

To test the other branch:

• Go to your FiveM folder (located in appdata).
  • Open the Fivem.app folder.
  • Find the Citizenfx.ini text file and open it.

Then:

Save changes, close files then start FiveM again.