[Dev Tool] Dr Light - Fixing .light files for interiors exported by GIMS EVO

Dr Light

Dr Light attempts to correct miscalculated Direction/Tangent entries in .light files exported by Gims EVO. It uses stock rockstar .light files for reference. This should allow you to have targeted lights at angles with no issues.

Github Repository

Latest download

How to use it

1. Download & unzip somewhere.
  2. Run the .exe once, it will create a reference folder.
  3. Fill the reference folder with rockstar .light files. You have to find these yourself, they are not supplied with the program.
  4. Drag and drop your .light file or files (it can do multiple at the same time) on to the .exe.

Done. Your .light file(s) now should have the correct direction/tangent values.

Hows it work

In short: It will compare your .light files with the reference rockstar light files and attempt to fix your GIMS EVO .light files as best as it can

Try to add as many .light files to the reference folder as you can. The more the merrier. I have about 500 in there.

Example of an interior using “fixed” lighting

Notice in this image how the light is bouncing off of the wall in the back. This is because there’s an angled light in the ceiling, I’ve been told this is unfortunately not possible with how GIMS EVO calculates directions and tangents in .light files.

Before / After

Before => After (thanks @dpsgta for the examples)

Credits to @dpsgta for coming up with the idea and letting me use this image as an example

5 Likes

where u take that map?

Can we get a before and after picture of a direct comparison to see the results?

I’ve been told it will be released soon ™

I’ve added a before/after

Wonderful! Now I see what it does. It’s great to see what this actually can do.

This is amazing!

1 Like

This is amazing :heart_eyes:

Is it possible to get an explanation of how to do this via video

I am not going to create a video for it. If someone wants to they are more then welcome.